Preservation of genetic diversity: Clones vs. Seeds

you said preservation of genetic diversity, nothing about amount of genetics inside. they both contain the same genes i suppose but clones don’t preserve it, seeds do. that’s why they are made, to preserve genetic diversity. clones have the same genes, not different ones, so the diversity is gone at the start for clones. it may be a good after bowl entertainment thought but that’s about how far the usefulness goes. nature generally finds the best way.

1 Like

You said it, it’s for us, the scene

But 50 years was a totally random example, to highlight that as you said, the “why” matters

Is this scene? Or science

Scene, meaning our cannabis community so to speak

Honestly feel like this is phylos 2.0. A live genetic grab that will be used later same as before.

Jodery was coast guard for years than pivoted in this cannabis guru. I have a hard time believing this is what it’s presented as.

I’ll be staying away personally

3 Likes

I could have a whole other thread about that. The scene is more confusing to me than genetics

5 Likes

Well, yes, thats true

Which makes the question of like, who, why, how, etc in this hypothetical even more important

That’s why I suggested bodhi select, for example, because it’s extremely difficult to think of a person who wouldn’t be biased

1 Like

Did not know that. I know I tried to get in touch once and he never responded. Kinda sad how a lot of big names are just sellouts.

2 Likes

Jodrey doesn’t make any claims that is contradicting that. They are making a point out of the fact that it is time consuming and expensive. If I remember right they say it can take up to 2 years. The claim is they are cooperating with an established TC-Lab that is federally regulated (what ever that means).

Nothing against both, just wanted to know how seed and clone populations compare to another regarding genetic diversity.

Nice.

Seems like they changed the name to Dark Heart Industries, whatever that means.

Who shut it down?

I think it should be science based and measurable. You would need plants that would cover the known chemotypes (being able to produce high amounts of all cannabinoids, terpens and other relevant compounds in high percentages). One could add different morphological characteristics that should be covered and of cause things like flower time just to name a few.
The real problem is that we don’t know what gems might be hidden in cannabis that have not been discovered yet and to preserve something you don’t know what it is.

2 Likes

But if no such scientist exists, how can you do it?

If one exists, who would you pick?

Good science, the scientist doesn’t matter. The science, the data, the genome stands for itself.

This is why I’m leery about “the scene”. In a scene, the face, the front man and the optics matter immensely. That’s opposite of good science.

5 Likes

Again,

Who would do this good science? It has to be a person right?

did you even read what was said just above this about how

?

1 Like

A scientist.

Again phylos 2.0 only for live genetics

1 Like

It doesn’t matter the scientist. What is to be done? Putting plants on ice? Bitchin’ I’ll do it. It doesn’t matter which strains, the ones that can be brought back from culture most readily would be a smart bet.

Curating a library of strains? That’s not science. It’s cool, but that’s about it for me.

I did, if you aren’t directing this at me, I apologize. I’m stoned and pontificating genetics.
I am following this thread with interest. I’m very interested in cannabis genetics, but I think my interest and understanding and the “heart” of the thread aren’t on the same page.
People talk about preservation and genetics and I don’t understand their perspective. Mapping the cannabis genome I understand. Sounds VERY interesting. Understanding gene expressions fantastic, hard core sciencing, my favorite. I’ll read about it on pubmed.

Playing “what five strains would you take with you to a desert island” it’s a fun game, but gets hurt feelings fast.

5 Likes

My perspective on the subject is that due to prohibition, spread of pathogens, market demands etc. a lot of unique genetics have probably been lost. Farmers from Columbia, Morocco,Thailand etc. nowadays are growing similar Polyhybrids with short flowering times, super high THC and similar taste and smell profiles. If this trend continues the global cannabis population will be less and less genetically diverse. How can we stop or slow down this development and would the collection (meaning a few thousand) of unique and clean cuts be helpful in this endeavor or would the benefit be negligent.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone mentioned but to be very fair for genetic diversity, I think it only makes sense to go with regionals and mutated ones.

So in my opinion hundreds of elite clone will really not gonna do much in genetic diversity but will do well in marketing diversity. Such as wide menu to appeal customer (But when you do genetic sequencing, most likely you’ll not see actual diversity because elite clones are hybrids of more or less very similar ancestors; all og coming from the first og anyway. 0 diversity in these dozens of og elite cuts).

Ah and def seed has more genetic diversity than clones. One of important reasons why high wire greenhouse vegetables are grown from seed annually, not clone. They need diversity to decrease risk of spread of pest and disease.

4 Likes

no, it was a bit confusing though since i was replying to the comment above mine with your quote so it could be read since apparently it didn’t sink in the first time you put it down. not to you, but the person you were saying it to.

1 Like