Problem making colloidal silver

I use a coffee filter on mine everytime as well.

2 Likes

Perfectly fine.
When making colloidal silver with electrolysis you get different sized particles which determine color.
The solution will be ionic silver and silver particles in differing sizes.
Large “chunks” do not register on PPM/EC, while PPM/EC is a good way to get a general idea of the strength it will not be wholly accurate.
Lighter color means smaller particles and more effective anti microbial effect, in the case of CS feminization my guess is that doesn’t matter as much.(edit, while reading a growlog, it was mentioned that freshly made and smaller particle size worked better, if you have any pointers/correction they would be welcome @Mr.Sparkle).
If you want to convert the solution to ionic silver you can use H2o2, you can see it clear up as it breaks up and oxidizes the silver. I have no idea what effects it would have on use for feminizing.

8 Likes

smaller the particles are the easier it can be absorbed or taken up by the plant, also have never tried h202 to make ionic silver, something to try

3 Likes

Temperatures will cause color differences while generating. Make new batch every week. Always the same temperature and always looks like BudLight. Lol

3 Likes

Is it frosty too?

1 Like

Hey all

I had posted this link over in the Spraying Colloidal Silver thread a while back but I’ll post it here as well. Some good in-depth reading and explains a lot as well.

https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=4965.0

Cheers Johnny

4 Likes

I used this setup and cooked for 6 hrs and got cloudy brown water at first,after sitting for a cple hrs ,particles settled to the bottom and my water turned clear. Made me wonder if i cooked enough, but 1/2 of a wire(99.9) was gone.

30 volts

1 Like

Looks like there’s too much power going through the wires, particles are too large. Slower is better.
Ive had my silver pieces for 15y, maybe half is gone.
I have 2 plates a finger width apart, 18v, 1/2gal/2l distilled water, takes 3-5h from scratch, constant water movement with stirrer or bubbles.
I wipe away when clumps start to collect on electrodes, especially at the end when conductivity increases. Some people use constant current power to counteract the increasing currents at the end.

In your case, probably start by increasing the distance between your electrodes and make sure you are using distilled water.

5 Likes

@Upstate, you want a half-pack of the Kona Gold I won in Soak n Beans Auction? Coming to ya, if desired. Say safe/be well.

2 Likes

Dont think i can get them any farther apart. I was wondering about the lawnmower batter being to strong. I kept a close eye on it for about an hour, never left it first 10 mins…The wire is pretty thin to start. Well if 3 - 9v batts work ok, that was my second attempt, i was trying to hit the 30v as i read was best. Thanks bro!
Hey @Johnnybsmokin , That was a good read!
I will be using some tricks from it. Learned somethings too. Thanks for the link!
:v:

3 Likes

I used this guide to make CS generator.

https://rebuildhealth.com/sites/default/files/colloidal_silver.pdf

I have not used any solder its all done using alligator clips. I found the speaker terminal awesome for holding the silver wire.

Hope some else get value from it.

Cross post

3 Likes

just lurking around looking for some wisdom I just finished my first cs batch I was wondering where to store it and if there’s anything i need to know

1 Like

Brown or Blue bottle/out of direct sunlight. Stay safe/be well.

5 Likes

that’s pretty straightforward thank you

3 Likes

Gday mate…this coin you speak of?..were me get?

Cheers

1 Like

I was planning on doing the colloidal silver thing with one of my g13 cuts. Kinda neat that you can make your own. I’m gonna go the lazy route and buy one of the little spray bottles.

1 Like

Hey Gavk, welcome to Overgrow!!

I haven’t seen Ginger_Rick around since before Christmas.

I think he was using a Canadian proof coin of some type. (The Canadian mint makes a few proofs with pure silver)

Cheers
G

1 Like

Any coin store or coin dealer will carry 0.999 silver coins and bars, usually 1oz, though there is a lot of smaller fractional pieces around, 1/2oz, 10g, etc. Since @Gavk types like Crocodile Dundee lol, Perth Mint makes fine coins and bullion and should be easy to acquire in Aussieland.

1 Like

That’s why I buy it ready made,

I bought a big bottle, and ran out. With a little bottle you more than likely will too. Instead of batteries I used an old DC power supply for a printer that died.

By the way my CS turned a yellowish brown too.

2 Likes