Proper plant terminology

I’ve had three different people from here either use the term “Nanner” or “Herm” incorrectly. Happened yesterday at my site so I asked where did you get this information and was told:

“I may have wrongly assumed that nanners were a generic term.”

I pressed on further because I am seriously concerned someone is teaching people wrong. I also got the feedback later:

"Unfortunately it’s thrown around so often on places like RIU it becomes the norm even though it’s not correct "

It is not my intention to call anyone out here. We are all learning on the daily.

My intent here today is to educate so please do yourself a favor and read this littler article.

Thanks for your time.

23 Likes

Very thorough and not a terribly long read. Lots of good photo examples.

Well worth your time folks.

99%

5 Likes

I think a lot of newbies read the first info they see on a subject an treat it as fact, when much deeper study is required. Even the educated use incorrect terms in cannabis growing. Calling bracts calyxes or flowers buds and stigmas pistils. There is a good little section in “Marijuana Horticulture Fundamentals” by Mel Frank about this subject. Information tends to spread like a rumor in cannabis growing rather than shared facts.

What the hell could “nanners” be a generic term for? I can only think of one phenomenon that is fitting for that term. lol

3 Likes

Also,
Its not a pistil or pistol or pistle
its a ‘Stigma’

3 Likes

Thank you @LED_Seedz. Very thoughtful. I had never heard of a nanner before, but I’ve had them. Nice to know what they are.

No doubt. It is probably a “human nature” kind of thing.

Also good to know. That will be a difficult change to get folks to work with. “Pistil” is used frequently by MANY people.

3 Likes

5 Likes

An oldie but a goodie. We have had many join since this was sent out, and it seems many are still uneducated as to what a “Herm” actually is.

Having a banana or a few bananas does not make a plant a “herm”, nor does it mean it will continue if the plant is grown stress free. It “may” be more prone to inner sexing due to stress than the next guy true.

In all my years, I have seen two strains that through out true hermaphrodites. It’s just not that common as much as it is talked about.

1 Like

That’s akin to only considering someone a true cancer patient if its metastatic and terminal. I understand your point – that under optimal conditions most plants labelled “hermie” will produce sinsemilla – but in the real world the majority doesn’t grow in climate controlled grow-rooms. Its absolutely an unrealistic expectation.

3 Likes

Sinsemilla means Without seed so you’ll most likely get seedy pot. . . And to easily end all dispute just call it intersexing and leave it a that​:+1::+1: I see both sides of view btw and appreciate you guys​:v::grin::clap:

3 Likes

@Hoodini I know.

@LED_Seedz position is that a true hermaphrodite produces both true male flowers and true female flowers, under all conditions. And most “herm” plants are a result of negative stimuli blocking ethylene production, which wouldn’t occur in his grow rooms.

I completely agree with what he’s positing, but I believe its an unrealistic expectation in the real world

1 Like

Ahhhhh got it👍 well then carry on good sir

1 Like

So maybe you guys can clear something up for me then😁 I was told that back in the day to get true feminised seeds you had to take a intersexual plant and let it pollinate itself, then grow those seeds out to find your “true females” (the ones that don’t intersex) and sts or CS them to make 100% feminised seeds without the intersex trait, I know that it’s not true but has anyone else heard this?

i could be wrong but i think his position was nanners != hermaphrodite … people have a habbit of saying their plant hermed with a few bananas while that’s not accurate

2 Likes