Question about cuts named "Platinum" Bubba Kush or "Platinum" Tangie

Aloha Overgrow!

I am looking for some information about the term "Platinum" before a strain name.  Until now I believed for no real reason that there must be a strain named "Platinum" I was guessing an OG Kush strain, that they bred with everything to call it "Platinum Tangie".  I was told the other day by a source I trust that this is NOT the case.  That Platinum Bubba Kush for example would be taking the cut of Bubba Kush.  Selfing it to create seeds.  Growing out those seeds and selecting the BEST of the best from some number (say 100) seeds.  

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the case? I just need to hear another source before I state this information to others.

3 Likes

I have always understood it to mean a Platinum OG cross, never heard that before about selected phenos being selfed and referred to as Platinum. It sounds like that person got it mixed up, most of the OG cuts are considered to be S1s of the Triangle, according to Nspecta and others. Platinum is likely a Triangle S1.

2 Likes

I’ve smoked a lot of Platinum OG in the 2000s, I always figured it got the name because buds were usually silvery and dense/heavy, and the high was very heavy and sedative but pleasant and smooth- “platinum”

5 Likes

That is what I always thought as well, but I’ve never seen evidence either way unfortunatley

1 Like

I was selling clones in California when Platinum OG dropped during the cookie craze. Platinum OG was its own strain but it was also put into several cookies and the ensuing “flavor” strains that came after so you will find platinum cookies and other strains like that all over. I wouldn’t put much stock in it though. Platinum OG was nothing special and imo the platinum reference was very much intended to capitalize on the cookie craze and the Berner little weed dealer kinda image

3 Likes

I had the Bay Platinum Cookies when they first came out and that smoke was pure happy weed like Prozac in a joint.Your house could burn down and you could find a positive thing about it and be cool with it.I don’t know if Berner had anything to do with that one I think it was the Grand daddy Purp dude that whipped that one up.Buds looked like chocolate chip dough with chunks of tiny dark green leaves trimmed up nice smelled almost like cookie dough and had a light mint taste

4 Likes

So the show scene in the Bay Area and Sacramento was definitely cracking at that time, was lucky to meet a lot of people working through that. It was almost impossible to keep up with all the new cuts and imo most of them were bs anyways. Just people changing names and calling random things this or that. After cookies clones were retailing for $30 a pop people just wanted that clone they could sell like that. Obviously hasn’t changed much today. Imo Platinum OG was just someone’s closet OG from this batch of this or that OG. Even people like OG Raskal were pushing out new strains and new seeds every month. Was hard to take the strains seriously but looking back some errors in judgement with some of them. For what it worth, platinum did have the OG traits most people look for with better bud structure than most traditional shaggy looking OGs. So when I see Platinum Bubba I really just see OG Bubba.

4 Likes

My buddy paid 250$ for that cutting in Washington back in 2012 I remember when everything got flooded up there and it was hard not to find cookies everywhere at one point you were like shit can I get something that doesn’t have cookies in it lol I settled for the Sour D they had it was good smoke

3 Likes

I’m growing out the Pre 98 this year looking forward to some dense conehead buds.The mix I did with the OG in it was a huge larfy Wook of a plant.Wheel barrel loads of good smokable weed just not the nugs I was looking for

7 Likes

The platinum og was master kush crossed to og kush if I remember correctly and was around before cookies. The other strains called platinum this or that could be a cross to the platinum og or just somebody tagging the name on for marketing.

5 Likes

In House Genetics use Platinum in a few of their hybrids.

1 Like

InHouse JUST came out with about 15 new Platimum strains (hybrids) mentioned by @Esrgood4u

2 Likes

I did a cross using platinum Girl Scout cookies x starkiller

6 Likes

The Suger Cane is amazing. Grown it out a few times now. :+1:

Just throwing this out there, since very few of these strains can actually be traced to a specific breeder or origin it’s pretty difficult to say what popped up when. Cookies is a good example. The cut was around for years before it was actually available to the average person. I’m sure you can appreciate the unknown gap in when a strain was made and when it became wide stream available to the public.

Also impossible to know now if that was the SoCal master Kush that’s awesome or just any old Genetics. That’s why I’m such a skeptic on cuts like these.

Probably was around before cookies but I still lump it in that same OG slut crowd for the OG generation. Just like putting diamonds in the name gold or naming it after king Louis, they play to a certain audience. I used to be a complete cookies f boy on the scene 🤦🏼 oh to grow up now.

That whole experience is why I only stick to more traditional varieties nowadays.

The master kush would have been the master kush cut that went around in the early medical days and there is some purps in there also. Cookies is pretty new compared to og kush , I was smoking og in 2002 when there was less then 40,000 medical patients in the state.

“Would have been” sounds like a seedfinder assumption but we’re all open to have our own opinions :v:

Well that’s the clone that was around when it was created but I guess it is possible that they used a seed line of masterkush, you would have to reach out to the breeder to find out if he was even willing to divulge but either way platinum og is master kush crossed to ogkush and purps.
There is also a story that it has been around much longer and is master kush mixed with a landrace Afghan but most people agree on who made it and they say it is a mix of og/masterkush/purps.
Also the original og kush circles were nothing like the fanboy cookies Instagram group that exists now, I’m sorry you ever got sucked into that. We know who made the king Louie he also made the ogre beans that everybody in here seems to love.
The original og kush circles were small and consisted of surfers, skaters, glass blowers, actors and musicians in los Angela’s. Very little was grown so very few got to smoke it, the price dident help either. Those are the days that made it famous and shortly after the og craze started and so did all the fakes and bs stories about who did what and when.
Beyond all that , the original question was what the platinum tag was referencing and the answer is historically it denoted being crossed to platinum og
It has nothing to do with selfing a plant and hunting down a different pheno. The issue is with the modern canna culture it could just be something somebody slapped onto there strain because they have heard of platinum this or that or it could be somebody under the assumption that a pheno hunted s1 is platinum and then using it because that’s what they believe. If you want to know for sure ask the breeder if possible if not we’ll then good luck. Almost all older strains of any significance have a lot of disagreement around them in regards to the true history.
If the genetics came into existence pre medical days anybody who was not there for there creation will have doubts and the ability to make assumptions because it was not common to document what you were doing so there is very little proof out there. After the medical scene started there was still a level of secrecy because the feds were busting people left and right. Now that it’s not such a big deal and the risk is much less everybody and there mother has some story about how it was them or there people that made this or that strain. Instead of people arguing over the past that can’t be proven wouldn’t it make more sense to just grow some good weed and smoke it , maybe even pop a seed or two and see if you can find something new to bring to the table.

The platinum OG cut was definitely around in the prop 215 community for a while before cookies showed up.

It was a nice frosty true OG structure plant with resinous fan leaves that produced small rock hard nugs and was less finnicky to grow than a lot of other OG cuts.

Like most OG’s it had mostly 3 finger leaves, with just a couple 5 blade solar leaves. the leaves produced so much resin on the undersides of the leaf blades they would fold up like tacos when the plant was ripe. It made really nice hash.

I grew the platinum OG cut from harborside oakland collective for a while, it was my main indica med line for a couple years.

edit-

Yeah it definitely predates cookies.

3 Likes

Looks like @Heritagefarms beat me to it.

10+ years ago when i would get Platinum OG it meant Master Kush x OG Kush.
Or sometimes (Master Kush x Afghan) x OG.

The “platinum” silvery, frosty, potent aspect was brought by Master Kush being in the strain.
So. Cal. Master Kush being a Hindu Kush pheno.

Not the NL x Skunk version of Master Kush which is more of an indica dom. hybrid imho. This version had a citrus fruit flavor aspect from the Skunk.

I feel that “the White” is similar to “Platinum” in that it also is less terpy and interesting than many strains, but adds a lot of potency and trichomes. And a stout, Afghan plant structure.

3 Likes