Raft planting or cuttings and blurring the line between SoG and ScroG

Air layer a whole branch or removing the whole branch and rooting several nodes could yield a plant that has multiple vertical shoots and a greater bud crop in shorter time. It could also technically be one plant and so ihelp to defeat plant limits that can cut yields unless lots of time is spent in veg and training.

I have used Espoma Seed starter to start cuttings in a solo cup with a 90% success rate. I speculate I should be able root a branch with a plastic bag like from a produce section at a grocer, an paper egg carton and some of the seed starter.

I think you could cut the bottom out of a couple egg slots and fill with seed starter scrape a few nodes train them thru the holes close and put in bag. Keep moist and root. Or do and air layer on the branch. either one.

2 Likes

You can also use rockwool cubes or Rapid Rooter plugs cut to fit around the stem, wrapped in plastic wrap with the top part open. Works very well, imo.

There are tons of ways to do air layering. I’ve been thinking of buying some purpose-built cups for it, actually. Don’t have the link handy because I’m mobile atm.

Air layering is great for people like me who need to stick to strict low plant counts, not sure there’s a lot of benefit otherwise.

6 Likes

I thought to spend more days in flower less in veg due to a large spread. Bigger yields more quickly and efficiently. What is the formula? A gram/watt every 60 days? Hard to do that without 60 days in veg in a personal grow… Raft cuttings could help shorten the veg days.

3 Likes

A fellow named Ichabod Crane on another forum did an experiment to demonstrate that. He did indeed speed things up a little and had larger clones to start with, which had its own benefits, but they had relatively small root balls to flower with and still needed some veg time to fill those out.

It’s a nice tool to have at your disposal, for sure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sounds similar…but it would be to create at least 3 root points on the branch at once before cutting …or to do the whole branch as a cutting and doing the same in an egg carton and spread the branches.

Did he have multiple root points at planting per branch?

3 Likes

It’s an interesting idea, but I don’t see the time advantage over just training those same branches outward and budding them on a single plant?

3 Likes

As I think more about it …you would actually be placing more of the ‘veg’ burden on the Mother plant. But you can do multiple branches and wire them to spread and make it easier.

2 Likes

I see. Could be an interesting experiment!

I attempted to clone in several ways before settling on a method that was both inexpensive and reliable enough for me. Along the way I learned much about plants and watched several youtube videos and killed a lot of nice little possibles.

It is worth learning to favorably select shoots and size them. We must keep them moist until they develop a root system and begin to take up water. They will be fragile and not able to take much light the first few days.

Shoots on new green growth of a length 4" to 6 " with at least 4 nodes worked well for me. Water your plant the morning of the cuttings. Shade it or move it away from large light loads to ease stress. Work in a warm room and drop your cuttings straight into water until you are ready to remove growth and trim them.

I watched and really liked this guy and this vid…Taking clones- Jorge Cervantes

Chef Derek Butts is another youtuber I have watched a great deal of here is his Cloning 101

1 Like

I use Espoma Seed Starter. I don’t work for them or get paid by them. I use it because it works. I saw some Jiffy brand stuff for sale…doesn’t have the Mycorrhiza.

We begin with some simple cuttings I am taking cuttings here on a little older growth where branching occurs that is buried I trim the node in hopes of forming another root spot.

I take the prepared cup…it has 4 holes at the bottom made using the heat from a lighter…fill it with seed starter and moisten everything good before insertion Press firmly the soil around the stem but don’t pack it hard just firm. Then cover with a ziplock baggie as a tent dome to keep in humidity.

I did 4 yesterday. One had wilted and there went my 90% success rate :frowning: I did another with an apex cutting and cut the Mom down to size today. I only need 2 clones to make it. I plan to flower the Mom. I did wire another branch so there are two more possible raft attempts if the first does not succeed.

So attempt #1- :slight_smile: You cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs so lest we chicken out

Using a previously trained branch and a prepared carton.

Used trimmed leaves here to fill the holes and sprayed everything to moisten it.

And shoved it in a bag and clipped it shut.

1 Like

Ziploc bags are great for easy domes. Once the clone has rooted you can poke more and more holes into the bag over a couple days to harden it off too.

Those clear takeout soup containers are very handy for clones too!

1 Like

Repeat from above edit note> Chef Derek Butts is another youtuber I have watched a great deal of here is his Cloning 101

A note from Chef Butts vid. We should be keeping Mothers alive and cloning from them and not cloning from clones

Scared to check the carton yet. Maybe in the am, tomorrow. The 4 clones in cups with ziplock domes are all still fresh and standing. I have hope that they will survive and prosper.

1 Like

So…never pays to put all your eggs in one basket and I bought another dozen…Easter is coming and I’m sure there will be a reason to empty that carton…

but not just yet it seems this one is doing well enough at the moment.

1 Like

I took this cutting apart today. Some of the branches had wilted due to fungus. I was away for a couple days and this cutting suffered the most from the inattention.

It also was still alive and had some very small root tips. Nothing like I expected. At 2 weeks my other cuttings are all surviving without life support now at 50% RH or better and have been out of dones continually for 2 days.

In order for this to be a better method will need quicker roots and they did not seem to start at the nodes I expected.