Ramping up after 20+ years

Thanks Paps,

Truly honored you checked in. Hope you will be available for the inevitable questions I’ll have for the Octo OG. Love to watch your grows!

John

2 Likes

Following along

If I can be of help just ask

Smokem if you got ‘em

1 Like

Lights arrived. Both check OK. Playing with Android light intensity apps, recs welcome. Will test lights daily.

From good suggestion @GrouchyOldMan, Playing with the autofill system functionality before implementation. 35 gal reservoir should provide leeway in case of improperly mixed nutes in addition to several days of reserve in case I go missing.

Question on bulkhead fittings - Is garden hose washer to seal the fitting OK? OD of fitting ~ 5/8". Link here [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2854SJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1]

Need suggestions for first strain(s), Plan is germ 8 of 10 of MRG JUANA CHUNKY DIESEL. This will provide an est 4 females (of 8). Rather not complicate things on first grow.

Looking for suggestions on number of plants in a 4 x 4 tent HST SCROG. I estimate 4 but welcome all input.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey ! Wishing you the best of luck. If you ever want to try your hand in some auto genetics shoot me a DM or summon me with a comment :slight_smile:

I have some interesting stuff

1 Like

Need to mention - Decided on MicroOctopot and autofill system grow w/ 3 Gal fabric pots
3" net pot filled with hydroton clay pellet .

Jacks nutrients in res.

Soil will be Fafard sphagnum peat moss 37%, Municipal compost 37%, Vigoro perlite 26%

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what I use. For a higher No-Leak confidence, use a dab of silicone sealer on both sides of each washer. Messy but worth it IMHO.

3 Likes

Should I add dolomite lime to my mix? If so, how much?

1 Like

Oh that the good stuff
When I ran organic and made my own soil it’s a must have

If your making only a few bags at a time only a couple of teaspoons per bag
Will do the trick

1 Like

I used dolo once to bring my oddly low ph batch of happy frog :frog: up a few points. but i was not aware of other benefits, so havent used it in a few years. Still got a big bag of it sitting in the garage - is it useful for other things in an octopot?

2 Likes

Dolomite is added to growing medium to raise pH to the range of 5.5 to 6.5 and to supply plants with calcium and magnesium needed for healthy growth.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response @Papalag

Mixing up fresh batch of medium of 25 Gal for MicroOcto grow.

Mix to be composed of Fafard sphagnum peat moss 37%, Municipal compost 37%, Vigoro perlite 26%. Also plan to add DE into the mix as a pest preventative. Suggestion on quantity of DE and Dolomite for this?

Purchased Jacks 20-20-20 to start them out but now second guessing this after more reading. Suggestions?

TIA

2 Likes

grouchy has tested all the mediums though, so perhaps you were aware already.

The more I read the more confused I get due to the wealth of information but sometimes lacking consensus among the experts. For example, @GrouchyOldMan did a test and found 25% perlite produced roots the quickest into the res which differs from other % I’ve seen.

2 Likes

ya i sort of figured at the end there youd done your research my bad. i find my problems come from packing them too tight so personally i wouldnt use less perlite but im also not packing them right to begin with half the time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No worries. Thanks for the response. We’re all here to have fun and discuss.

1 Like

About 1/2 a cup
Should be plenty [quote=“JOHN1234, post:31, topic:130214”]
Jacks 20-20-20 to start them out but now second guessing this after more reading
[/quote]

Now I use 20/20/20 for my moms and week 1 and 2 of transition but you need to add Epson salts and cal mag in small amounts

Once they get into the Octopots ( veg for like 4 weeks )
I switch things up a bit this is the first grow doing this ( I see a much better color and they appear to be healthier )
New formula
10/30/20 plus 1/4 teaspoon of Epson salts and a 1/4 teaspoon of 15.0/0/0 ( cal net )
It’s a bit less nitrogen and the plant like it lol
And they need the extra minerals in the Epson salts

It’s working quite well for me

2 Likes

So the small amount of cal mag in addition to the dolomite?

1 Like

Are you mixing the d lime in the soil or in the fertilizer

The plan was to mix in the soil.

1 Like

It would be fine

1 Like