Recuperation unit / Heat recovery ventilation

Hi. There are several types of recuperation. In easy language it means you bring back some heat that the bulb produces and use it for your benefit. Or it can work in opposite way to cool down temperature in summer (outtake off). In most easy way i can describe recuperation unit as the box with a few intakes and outtakes with core which absorbs heat or cold and releases it to circulating air. A block core must let air flow in/out but even absorb the heat/cold (picture below).

recuperation in 2-steps.

Units vary in design and efficiency (50-90+ %). Many are highly costly but some less. Cores are made of ceramics, metal etc.(?), and some units work better in pair. For small room around 100 sq. feet it´s possible to use one unit witch is controlled by the electronic microchip (switch and timer). This way the air flow just changes it´s direction every minute and the core is monolith. Other method is that air goes through in both ways and the core just balances the temperatures but it´s effective although costly cause the core is more complex. It works like this (picture below).

Wastewater must be take up.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It is more widely known under another name - Heat recovery ventilation. I know that these units are mainly used to allow fresh air in and at the same time to keep low humidity without losses on heat / energy.

I’d be very interested to hear if anybody is using it in their grow room.

3 Likes

I am very familiar with HRV/ERV units (15 years commercial HVAC distribution experience).

They are useful for tempering outside air with exhaust air energy, typically used in all designs to meet the ventilation requirements for occupancy.

If you had to temper your inlet air (and had a pretty significant volume you were dealing with) they would be a useful energy recovery device. For most non-commercial rooms there may not be enough benefit for the cost.

2 Likes

Also depending on what type of energy recovery device being used you will have varying levels of effectiveness - particularly when addressing latent transfer.

The figures above are pretty optimistic. Depending on your OA and EA flows and type of recovery device you could theoretically reach 90% effectiveness but not without a pretty significant cost. Essentially recovery capability is dictated by surface area.

typically a residentIal or small commercial plate type exchanger would be about 60% effective for sensible transfer, much less for latent (moisture). (Latent transfer only occurs with ERVs, HRVs are sensible transfer only)

1 Like

I see them on plans for cultivation facilities in the Northeast.

Good means of conditioning OA with the EA.

Pretty simple concept. Dessicant wheel absorbs the heat from the exhaust and uses it to warm up outdoor air. Conversly in the summer it absorbs heat from outdoor air by the cold air from exhaust air.

VRF/VRV is also very popular in sealed rooms

2 Likes

Man-bot. Good point. It must have at least 60 % efficiency. For my purposes i dont need big device but not saying less efective. I will achieve it by using refrigerator concept which is pretty simple. It can also cool but i don’t think i will use it for that (only evaporator part).

It’s not heat recovery but with some diy hacks it could be, maybe. Exhaust which go through evaporator? I’am not sure how much heat can the condenzator hold…it can get hot!

And this will not help for cold intake air.
So, the switch between in/out fans will be needed with relay.

The “monolithic” option you outlined above exists - typically in larger commercial/industrial operations. Your biggest issue will be controls. Outside of that the efficiency in that arrangement really depends on material used.

The simplest approach would be to use a plate type core that your EA and OA pass through (but do not mix). This is your standard heat recovery arrangement.

I don’t follow the coil arrangement you outline - seems along the line of a glycol loop or heat pipe, which has been proven to be the least efficient method of recovery (45% max under optional design and condition). They still use them but not very often.

If it were me (and it ain’t! :slight_smile: ) - I would look to see if you can buy a standalone plate type core (they exist, just depends where you are from) and duct in and out of one of them. Easy peasy.

Monolythic unit Is just for dedication but it can be used with less efficiency. I can build it with copper tubing but it’s not easy and best option. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel so please keep in mind that it’s my choice to use reversed climatization or regular refrigarator loop with some automobile parts (:

If I put hairdrier in a refrigerator or climatized car some parts in a loop will get hot. That’s it.

Sounds like a fun project! Best of luck :slight_smile:

Some other example of cooling/freezing unit.

Pipes are covered with ice

I set up a heat recovery ventilator a month ago. So far so good. It pulls air out of my grow cabinet, thru the HRV and dumps it outside. Incoming air is conditioned by the HRV. It’s home made but it seems pretty efficient. It does reduce the air flow however.

1 Like