Resilient vine to grow up a fence for extra privacy?

Pueraria montana … Kudzu Vine. :grin:

If you live in the south you most likely already have it. It may or may not eat your neighbors property.

Once established, Kudzu plants grow rapidly, extending as much as 60 feet per season at a rate of about one foot per day . This vigorous vine may extend 32-100 feet in length, with stems 1/2 - 4 inches in diameter.

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

I vote for Morning Glory’s. They grow fast too.

1 Like

I not a big fan of kiwi but why grow poison when you can grow food. Kiwi.

2 Likes

What about honeysuckle climbing variety, it smells amazing on calm summer nights.

It survives uk winters with no problems.

6 Likes

Agree grow food grapevines

1 Like

Plant one of all of the above, diversity rules!

3 Likes

Go for Scarlet Runner Beans! They grow fast, have great foliage, their flowers are bee-sex, and you have food growing as a bonus!!

They are seasonal though.

Another thought if your down for flowers and thorns is any rambling type rose. I have several that throw out 8-15 foot length branches in a season. My partner weaved them over 1 season to turn an arbour frame into a near solid rose arbour. 1 more season later and the thing is so thick it blocks the sun from penetrating the canopy!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hops are fun to grow and will climb pretty high in a couple of months. But, they’re seasonal, too. Those honeysuckle type vines stay all year and really fill in from spring on. I have them, too and they are great or smells, bugs and bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.

3 Likes

I have a huge honey suckle that is over 50 years old, the main trunk is 6 inches thick, it grows very well here in Nova Scotia Canada as well.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the awesome responses!

I’m leaning with @TomHill 's gracious suggestion. I don’t eat kiwi but they will make some killer FFJ!

Also need to be pet conscious (which I forgot to mention earlier), some of these suggestions while beautiful can be toxic.

1 Like

Dutchmans pipe.
A great vine for a privacy screen.