Return to Growing - IKEA Metod Cabinet

Cue paranoia / twilight-zone music.

I feel like anything I say now will just enhance @anon58740919 and @cannabissequoia little game of “find the grower” equivalent of battle ships.

Just to narrow your search perimeter I am in the Northern hemisphere. I’ll leave it there as any further mention of Greggs, Aldi, St Pauli or Canal St will just drive your collective guessology into a frenzy.

Back to outdoors. Given I do currently have night time daddy duty and walk the neighbourhood for hours at night I can confirm I’ve not found anywhere I’d be confident about. Who knows.

@ReikoX - thanks for the clarification. I need to learn more about this yield light issue with Autos.

For now I’m gonna follow a variant of the advice here: keep the Autos in the cabinet until I think they are getting impacted by the photo taking up too much space and perhaps soon after or just before a flip to 12/12 take them outside.

I do need to complete my veg / mother cabinet soon in order to launch some clones. Just short on time and the hours of 22:00-02:00 don’t allow for much powertool related work.

In short. They will be spared and yield some first smokeable. Whoop whoop.

Thanks for the collective input.

5 Likes

We top the list for 2 of them. Gregg’s and canal St.
My final guess is you’re a German living in Manchester that likes sausage rolls and maybe man sausage with the canal St bit. You obviously follow the bundesliga too.
I’m fully not fussed about the auto any more this games way more fun. Lol

@ReikoX knows autos btw id trust his word on this over mine any day

As a PostScript. I’m not homophobic I’m just not politically correct. Canal St is pretty close to me. Both physically and as in it bears some significance to my life too

4 Likes

Close. So very close but no Anal treats - good spot for a few pints though.

I have a connection to all those reference but the further i get the hounds off my scent the better. :wink: The Hounds of the Baskervilles this is not but by the count of the previous series of clues The Sign Of it harks of Sherlock’s work.

5 Likes

I like this guy.

Say hello to my little brother in Sackville gardens next time you pass. I don’t hide who or where I am anymore. Haven’t for a while. I don’t believe what I do is wrong and the growing itself is not for financial gain just personal smoke. Lighting is but that’s legal :wink:

High buddy :grin:

ranouttafuckstogive

10 Likes

He’s a cuddly looking fella.
Guess his terrarium makes it a legitimate second lights application.
You are bang in the centre there. Next time I’m in the city of bees I’ll PM.
Respect on the position re: growing!

3 Likes

:snake: Giving me flashbacks to when I visited a fellow rehabb’er who’d gone off the rails, fallen off the wagon… Apartment had loads of marlboro & liquor garbage, a 6’ python, & 2 rocket launchers. :astonished: :poop: :jeans:

Good luck to that dude wherever he is.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

It’s not my snake that lol. It’s a mates of mine. Who sounds like he is having a similar time to @cannabissequoia rocket launcher chap :rofl: PM is always there and if you ever fancy a smoke this way up just buzz the hive :wink:

I don’t live in the city city anymore I’m a bit further over towards the foot of Saddleworth Moor now. It was my little brother who lived on canal St. (In VIA if you know it) his memorial is Sackville gardens though.

My position won’t change regarding growing either. It’s society in the wrong :grin:

3 Likes

So. Initially i struggled with humidity being too low during the initial seedling and early veg phase (tough to get it over 40% RH) and in the blue zone of the below chart. I hung wet towels over the passive intake appeture to raise the amount of humid / wet air being drawn in. This worked and I hit the blue zone.

I’ve stopped this some two weeks back since having developed more leaf mass the humidity is much obvs higher.
I’m struggling to keep it below 65% RH now and to stay in the green zone. I’ve tried running the cab hotter and cooler but still having issues and I’m usually in the upper blue/red zone.

The Sonoff TH16 temp & humidty gague is smack in the centre of the cab in free airspace and reading 65-85%.
When the lights go out at night I struggle to get below 75% RH even with the fans going all night. So always in serious under transpiration (upper red) and upper blue zone at best.
If I place the temp gague in amongst the plant branches I note that the temp reads about the same as where it normally is but obviously the RH spikes. In amongst the branches the RH reads 80-100%.

Seriously worried that as I get more advanced bud development progressing I risk moulding. Less worried about this on the Auto DPs but more worries this is an issue as i scrof and get bud development in the photoperiod Gelato 41.

There are currently no signs of mildew or any growth at the moment on the early stage buds or leaves. However, when I check between the leaves I note that there are many fan leaves that are often wet.

I have an oscillating USB powered desk fan running. I turn it 180* every 24hrs to give each pair of plants direct leaf shaking airflow and I think circulation is decent.

I’ve contemplated placing some small brushless 24V fans (1”x1”) in amongst the box to add more airflow.
Any point?

I am also tomorrow gonna head out and get one of these passive dehumidifiers. Any experience with these in a small space?

Contemplating one or two of these to try drawn down moisture in what is a small volume box (8.79cubic feet / 0.25m3)

Waste of time and money? Should I just leave it alone?

Things seems reasonably happy. Well except for two branches which don’t look to have survived my attempt at high stress training and folding the branch double. :roll_eyes::cry: beginner error and was too aggressive in the pinching and folding. Just went for it and need to read up on this technique a bit more before doing such brutal damage again.

Thanks for any input grower guys and gals.

6 Likes

Uhh few things for ya bro, I ran my tent like you at first so humidity was a struggle then the buds start forming and moisture levels rise and like you we all panic but to be honest you will be fine mate it sounds like you have plenty of airflow going on.

When my RH got too much I went to the pound shop and bought like 6 moisture traps because they’re absolutely shite compared to an actual dehumidifier but they will help to lower it but not drastically so I can’t speak for the slightly more expensive unibond version to the cheap moisture traps but IMO unless you actually get a dehumidifier you will struggle to keep RH under wraps.

Another point I wanna make is I don’t have a dehumidifier and never have I’ve had high RH just plenty of cheap moisture suckers and airflow keeps it at bay bro not had one Mould issue yet :+1:

3 Likes

Hi mate. Thanks for that. Glad for the feedback and comparative on growing in a similar situation.
I’m gonna leave the dehumidifiers then and I can’t fit or afford a bigger unit.

Is there a post to discuss leaf conditions?
I’ve started to notice some slight yellowing on the spines of the leaves of the photoperiod plant and slight yellow tips.
I initially put this down to potential nute burn. Hence I dropped the strength on the latest resevoir change.
Incl. a tiny cal-mag addition to already hard water (350ppm) and coco A+B at 40% recommended I have a solution at just about 1,100ppm - hanna scale so 2,200 EC us/cm).
I’m getting myself in a twist about it but had run he same (slightly stronger) solution feed during the last reservoir veg cycle having run 25% strength (same water and Cal-mag addition) before that. The leaves never displayed much of a problem.

5 Likes

Yeh just post it on your thread and somebody like me will try help you out bro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: could it be getting underfed?

Think from what I’ve looked back on your grow timeline you’re 5 weeks in and you’re saying you’re giving 40% recommended it’s probably hungry :yum:

And if it isn’t that then it’s probably getting overdosed on calcium and magnesium because if your using normal watee then it will have those nutrients anyway OR what’s your PH level because you’ve said about PPMs and feed but not PH

6 Likes

Well. Bless this forum for the likes of yerself then.
So PH has been stable between 5.65-5.80.
Running a RTW with reservoir being warmed just for feeding to 21*C and air stones running for 5 hours pre feed then off.
Feed is currently about 40% of the below.

Maybe they are hungry.

TBH I hadn’t realised overdoing it on the cal-mag might be an issue on the coco coir.

Watering is once a day for 7 minutes. Gives the plants enough to get a solid 40-50% run off and for the very top surface of the coir to dry to the touch but be moist the 2-4mm below the surface.

When I measure the PH of the run off it is at 5.4-5.6 on average. The PPM in the run off reads at the same level or slightly (max 10%) higher than the feed. Is that a sign of not absorbing enough? Under absorbtion of water as salt balance of run off not rising sufficiently?

With the RH being so high I have wondered if they are under transpiring and hence I am seeing such a very small rise in the run off. However, while under transpiring means potentially less water absorbed from the medium, and maybe maybe therefore less nutes absorbed as part of the process, the leaves don’t look like they’re short on water.

The pots are fabric pots with a 1” layer of washed clay pellets in the bottom. The substrate is 75/25 coco coir canna pro and perlite.

Collective thoughts welcome.
Obviously there is always the “keep it simple stupid” and “don’t fix what’s not broken rule”.

4 Likes

To be honest bud I have never ran a RTW system I did try to google but it does sound complicated and my head is gone :rofl: by the sound of it it is not your PH as those numbers are gravy :+1:

Cannot comment on PPM as I don’t check it but I’m running canna coco pro plus with perlite as well but no clay pebbles. I also use fabric pots my little baby is like 2 weeks old and it’s eating up CANNA A+B at 2ml pl. rhizo at full dose so 4mlpl. You’re watering plenty so it won’t be that I honestly just think it’s hungry man give it an extra ml pl. And I would knock calmag on the head if you’re using tap water. For now anyway when in flowering you may need it.

2 Likes

Hello mate - so i changed out the res, upped the nutes lets see what happens.

To recap, I am now at 75% of recommended pre-flower / late veg (on 30L unfiltered 0.74EC hard tap water, 60ml A and 60ml B Canna Coco Nutrients) and have made sure the PH is at 5.75-5.80.
Still feeding at 7mins 1x day.Gives me approximately 35% runoff of ~1.5L, implying feed of 4.25L total / ~1L/Plant.
Run off PH remains a little lower than feed (measures 5.35 PH) - this is a recent thing and noticed just when i saw the leaves giving some discouleration.
EC of runoff is currently only marginally higher than the feed, i.e. < 10% higher.
Its only been 3 days so will give it a little while longer and see what the leaves do.
Have noticed some of the upper and younger stems are quite purple - is this an agreed sign of nitrogen deficiency?
While not specifically mentioned, I have ruled out light stress or heat stress.

Anyone got any additional thoughts? @anon58740919 - any other hardwater UK based ideas from the moors?

5 Likes

Updates on flowering of the Durban Poison.
Small buds but pleasant aromas and just beautiful in the eyes of the farmer for a first grow in ages.
This is 6 weeks from sprouting and 4 weeks to go according to Dutch Passion on these Durban Posion Autos. Not sure to expect huge amounts more weight but even so i’ll chalk this up to a reasonably effective experiment.

Field of tops

Close ups.

10 Likes

Just had a brain fart… recently i had trouble dialling in the PH. I ended up mucking around with both the Up and Down on two occasions with the same res.
Did i over do it and have i locked out Potassium (K) as a result of too much Sodium (Na)?
is that a thing…?

2 Likes

At 10 week strains they should just start to be building now as for pH depends, is it possible yes, have you :shrug: possibly, possibly not.

Consider though 5.3 is on the low low side of things typically pH usually raises over time slightly aka 5.8-6.2 but also depends on watering methods and whats going on grow media wise.

Just feed at a happy level and get some runoff each time like your doing, should balance out. As for EC yes if the runoff is higher it means that plants aren’t consuming everything so your getting very minor build up but i would still continue on as such.

5 Likes

Our tap water comes out around 67ppm brother. That’s why I’m using vitalink hydromax soft water bloom in my res this run.

The best tip i can give you is have a look at your water suppliers website and find a water quality report. If there’s anything lacking or in abundance where you are it will show and you will be able to amend your feed accordingly

3 Likes

Is that pretty common in England?(the lower PPM)

I’ve got 180ppm, 7.2pH, & nastyhexavalentchromiums & things. :atom:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

It is for moorland waters yeah mate

2 Likes