Risk vs. Reward, any thoughts?

Excellent insight, thanks for taking the time to write it down for me.

Seems like he has been working the same lines for a while, and asked me for a unique plant he could work with. I am aware of his mite issues. Borg attack is what I am most worried about. Most other things are incidental, and ones I will likely incur anyway, like fgā€™s, pm, etcā€¦ these are known quantities to me. Borg, oh hell no, I dont even want to know.

Donā€™t take 'em then. But why ask if you already know you donā€™t want them?

But, if you ever do get spider mites, it is easily curable.

1 Like

Yeah, dude. No bug is ever as scary as people make it out to be. The horror stories you hear are coming from large facilities that canā€™t cover every nook and cranny.

2 Likes

Spider mites are the worstā€¦ they are beatable but man that was really a nightmare to witness the one time I got themā€¦

Fungus Gnats arenā€™t so bad, they at least donā€™t do TOO much damage and are easier to stop than mites, just spraying the top layer of soil with a hydrogenperoxide/water mix will defeat their numbers greatly, they are more annoying than harmful uless they get really infested

2 Likes

Meh. I guess if I were eight weeks into a twelve week flower cycle, and just now noticing them, I would agree

2 Likes

When I had them I was more of a novice than I am now, I think thatā€™s the biggest problem with them, for someone who is new or unexperienced with such a problem itā€™s really stressful and overwhelming to deal with and figure out a fool proof way to completely stop them, because if you donā€™t get them ALL they will just come back.

1 Like

mite do suck ass but you can get rid of them but it does takes work if

you do not want to use chemicals :frowning:

I had them bad and moved outside to get away from them which was nice as I do

love working outside under the sun

the room outside is great also for someone that will always have too many plants

But back to Mites when I moved back in the room it was as I had left it I did clean it well

but no where near anal well

but I first work on get my environment right and not as Mite friendly as it had been

got my plants healthy again a healthy plant can fend off bugs on their own

started putting Silica back in my water to harden the plants

I may still have few but they will be gone

Mite love High Heat the will have a love fest and you will have a hard time beating them

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

2 Likes

Iā€™d say the risk can be managed, and it is worth it. After reading through the thread, this is what I would do based on a combination of my method and a few of the tips here.

I would start with the half hour water drench. That is a clever idea to kill living pests and remove debris and foreign material. This will not however kill eggs or spores.

Next I would move on to my method to address mildew, eggs, and fungus, and bacterial contamination.
I learned this from the old breedbay forum. The user said it is a general agricultural technique common in horticulture industry but not used frequently in cannabis growing. You can actually sterilize cuttings in diluted solutions of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.

Set up two solutions in containers large enough to submerge the cuttings. One with rubbing alchohol, the other with peroxide. For drug store rubbing alcohol and peroxide, I believe the dilution rate is one third, diluted with two thirds water. Soak your cuttings in the alcohol, and then the peroxide. Then again in water to rinse. This will render an unrooted cutting completely safe and sterilized to enter your grow.

If there is a rockwool plug, soil, or root ball of any kind, it will still need to be quarantined.

5 Likes

Killer breakdown, thanks!

1 Like

Ok, thatā€™s going down in my big red book of answers right now!!
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

How long would the submerge time be for the alcohol & peroxide soaks?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

For potentially contaminated clones from someone elseā€™s garden, you can submerge them and swish them around for 5 minutes with no problems.

I have used this technique successfully outdoors on rooted clones which had mites and mildew. After the initial treatment, the new growth looked good, and the plants never showed any further signs of damage. Because they had soil, I gave them a 30 day quarantine before transplanting just to be safe.

This technique can also be used to safely bring cuts of an outdoor plant indoors.

This can also be useful when taking cuts in your indoor grow to prevent pathogens and fungal problems. For that use, a quick dunk in the alcohol solution is all that is necessary. You can do this before using organic / probiotic techniques to prevent environmental contamination and improve the results of your microbial inoculations.

Itā€™s only really necessary if you have had problems with pm, damping off, or similar problems interfering with the rooting process when you take clones.

2 Likes

Amen bro. True Dat!

:cowboy_hat_face::chile:

1 Like

Herbicides, pesticides, to me all have their place if used responsibly. Ie.snip and drip method.

As for the plant, havnt seen it, hopefully she pops up in May so I can just keep her outside.

1 Like

Found a pic of her. Still hoping for a May 1st delivimage ery :wink:

6 Likes