Root Aphids?

I’m really starting to think btk might kill them, I use it on the aphids on the plum and apple tree all the time. Peppers too. I’m thirsting to murder some bugs. runs out to the greenhouse with the BTK

I’ve only seen them on the soil, container and stem, nothing on the leaves. I only saw them while I was deep watering and they climbed out to the surface. They do have the little nubs on their back, Im assuming those are the wing buds. They are not the light colored ones I’ve seen pics of, most of them look like specks of dirt. I pulled a root ball out of the container, there they were. I just want to kill these off and get the plant ups to Heath until I have new mothers going. These are bonsai mother plants, I’m not afraid to use chemicals as long as I can use it indoors in my bedroom. These are strictly for cuttings, and are constantly getting cut back and regrown.

1 Like

Friend of mine grows garlic and mint in with his plants said he’s never had any problems with bugs garlic keeps them away,he just dumps the garlic after every grow

I don’t know if it’s true but he swears by it,

Had a shit load of thrips my first grow just washed the plants with soapy water for a few days they were gone

2 Likes

Does it matter what specific species of root aphid? Imidacloprid kills all of them.

If spraying a few pots of Cannabis for root aphids rustles your jimmies so bad, you should see me treat my lawn lol.

Maybe people with bedbugs should try spraying microbes on their infestation hahaha!

It does when they’re springtails LMAO!!

1 Like

vernal, your advice is terrible. Don’t you ever read?

1 Like

Ugh… I was trying to be hopeful. If you pulled them up and they are on the roots, then they are probably root aphids. Aphids can change colors depending on food source. Botanigard and Met52 would be other options, but I understand if you want to go another route since they are just moms.

3 Likes

Glad you got it figured out…the obvious textbook root aphids are now upgraded to probably root aphids lol. Better send in samples and call an entomologist just to be sure haha anything to avoid accidentally agreeing with me.

@Seamonkey84 let us know how it goes with treatment…I’m “rooting” for you lol

3 Likes

You can’t tell the difference between a springtail and an aphid, but you’re gonna talk smack to me about my comment? You never cease to amaze me lol. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Can you locate this post you keep referencing where I allegedly said a springtail is an aphid? I’m unable to find it.

Oh right lmao… you didn’t say it was an aphid. You just saw a bug and said to use imidacloprid. Post four, and now you can tell me how you weren’t talking about springtails, but that also means you didn’t look at the OP’s picture and recommended imidacloprid without specifying which insect to use it on.

1 Like

Graspin’ hard at straws. Dude had a blurry photo, I said if you even think you have RA treat the plants. It’s not going to hurt the plants or you and peace of mind is valuable. IDK, it’s what I would do. Hope your day starts going better lol.

2 Likes

Lmao! Yeah ahuh…

Unfortunately Vern, the post is still there so you can clearly see you did not say in post four what you just said. Nice try though.

2 Likes

So the issue I’m having now is that systemic treatments show up in the buds grown from those clones. So I’m assuming that the tree and shrub would be a no go if anyone was to grow these clones without turning them into a mother and only growing out the second generation.

Imidacloprid has a long half life. One of the reasons it’s so effective…and one of the reasons it’s bad for bees. It’s a neonicotinoid, so not dangerous for vertebrates, just arthropods.

There are shorter half life pesticides available. I am not sure if your product is subject to state testing. Dinotefuran has a very short half life and is also a neonic pesticide which is absolutely deadly to root aphids but it’s half life is a couple days not a few weeks.

1 Like

My product isn’t, but I give clones to a buddy who’s a caretaker

Couldn’t say how long it would be detectable on a clone of a treated plant or acceptable limits in your state, or what have you. When we start talking about a few parts per billion there’s a lot of potential for “residue”. But, my house was coated in it to treat bedbugs…like my actual bedroom got doused and my dog’s flea/tick collar is 10% imidacloprid by WEIGHT lol IDK how bad it could be.

2 Likes

I just noticed I think fungus gnats starting to fly around. All my plants are from seed that I started I am guessing it’s from the soil I bought. I will soak the soil with this organic pesticide from Dominion organics, Luckily I just bought some canna Coco from a different shop. I’m looking forward to switching over to Coco coir I have used that for a long time. I tried using roots organics soil I bought it from a place that wasn’t the best cleanliness wise. But that’s why they are there in a dark warehouse. :+1:

1 Like

Uses Canna Coco. Loves it.

1 Like

unreal. they are everywhere.
I shut everything done and removed all plants. I have SO many questions. Is it my soil? Is this the same thing that happened last grow, and I just never figured it out? How do I restart? I’m struggling to figure out how to NOT have this happen again. I am using Dr Earth “Pot of Gold” Organic potting soil, also added worm castings and perlite to the soil.

4 Likes