Root Aphids?

I’d clean everything up so it’s spick and span. Get a sterilized potting soil and start growing again. Be careful of bringing parasites into your grow. Don’t wear your shoes outside then back in your grow area. etc.

6 Likes

The only thing I used that could possibly bring it in is bagged compost. But besides that, the adults fly… either way, I’m going with just promix for now on. But in my case, I might have to use some chemicals that aren’t too good to treat my mother plants. Once they are all gone, I’ll have to start new mothers from a fresh clone in clean mix.

1 Like

Man there’s a million ways to get it. Biggest most obvious way is clones, but clothes, shoes, soil…anything.

Bayer Tree n Shrub (imidacloprid) is a sure cure.

2 Likes

I should prob have checked, but do they lay eggs on the plant stem and leaves or just in the soil/roots?

Depends. They’ll be in soil in winter, above root line in warmer temps. Fast life cycle, adaptable critters.

1 Like

That is not a root aphid!!!

Jesus effin C$#%)GJ!! @vernal quit recommending posion to kill beneficial insects. Learn how to identify a pest before you start giving recommendations.

God damn shit show…

4 Likes

Hard to tell from the single grainy picture. Could be soil mite. But if guy says he has a problem, he’s got a problem. I assumed he’s competent enough to know the difference, and knows something’s chewing on his plants.

There you go cryin’ about hardware store pesticides again. You must wake up pre-triggered.

Omfg… It’s not hard to tell. It’s a soil mite. Decomposer. But you can keep telling yourself and everyone else it’s a root aphid and they should apply a bunch of ornamental use only chemicals to kill a god damn soil decomposer. Jesus… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You think it’s only ornamental use? Wishful thinking on your part. Used on many, many food crops.

You’re a piece of work Vern. Cannabis a food crop? Nope! Imidicloprid banned in cannabis? Yup, sure is!! Keep convincing yourself it’s ok Vern. And while you’re at it, go do some homework on beneficial insects.

2 Likes

Banned…for you lol. Oklahoma dispo scene is the entire world haha.

I actually KNOW it’s OK. I can’t impress upon you how much imid was sprayed around my house during the bedbug scare of 2014. Every surface in my bedroom got covered…multiple times.

My dog’s seresto flea collar is 10% imid by WEIGHT. Let me repeat that…by WEIGHT. The concentrate I use for spray is 20%. He wears it for 6 months. But it’s soooooo dangerous lol

(pesticides bad hurr durr outrage)

1 Like

Soil mites, quick nuke em! You got worms, I can take care of that get out the napalm! Kill it! Kill it all!!! Deeeeead! :skull:

2 Likes

Yes, I know… ancient thread… yet for others who may find this thread later seeking closure, this second to last picture from myrtlegrounds looks to be a beneficial predator mite amblyseius-cucumeris: Amblyseius cucumeris-Thrip and Spider Mite Control | Tip Top Bio-Control - Beneficial Insects . Note the long front legs, which – if observed in action – will appear to be used as feelers, and six shorter legs.

3 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. Some bugs good, some not so much. We like good bugs.

1 Like

May I ask how you know it is cucumeris vs swarski, stratiolaelaps, or another mite? Are there other details other than long front legs you are seeing? :pray:

2 Likes

Swarski mites have shorter legs that articulate differently than the pictured crawler, while stratiolaelaps are reddish/brown and have an extended chalicerae which is not visible on the presented image. The sampled pic showed a clear/translucent/white round-backed mite with six short legs and two extended front feelers. The extended front feelers are for searching for detritus. Bad mites have short legs and no long feelers because they don’t search for detritus.

10 Likes

Are you an entomologist?

4 Likes

No, I just ran a clone room for around five years and have extensive hands-on experience with IPM solutions. I have pics of the warehouse grows and clone room on my IG

8 Likes

oh, ok! Well great score on the identification! Top notch!

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s a great tip Arriba|nullxnull, hope you will stick around, we need more experts in this matter … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes