Russian Landrace Bureau Landraces Anyone?

Wondering if any of you fine folks have experience breeding any of the landraces from the RLB… I have some on the way and am excited to start a project with some unaltered ruderalis genetics… I have Russian - Bashkortostan and Crimean Peninsula genetics - breeder packs on the way.
Greg at RLB was super helpful in suggesting strains that closely matched my outdoor growing environment and took time to send me extensive information on the strains/region they thrive/characteristics of each etc. I was very impressed with the level of education happening rather than just simply “here’s your beans dude”.
Anyways, any advice/experience/tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance everyone.

15 Likes

Did he give you any germination advice? I think I would freeze the seeds, and then once thawed plant them in soil. Germination is supposed to be difficult on these wild types. You may even have to crack the seeds. If you do plant them, Mark each seed with a toothpick or something so if no action occurs you can dig it up and try manually cracking it. There should be some very Hardy traits to pass on to cannabis. I hear the Crimean has some THC individuals…is that right?

6 Likes

Yes he did give specifics on germination as well… you’re exactly right, freeze and let come to room temp, give a H2O2/water solution bath overnight and paper towel method in the H2O2 solution for the Siberian. The Crimean are from a bit more hospitable area so he suggested freezing and thaw and soak and plant direct into soil.
Light feeders, light, airy soil…
Correct that the Crimean are Sativa…
an excerpt of what he sent me regarding the Crimeans…

Type: Semi Auto-Fowering Sativa XXL Ruderalis THC/CBD

We collected these seeds from the Central Forrest Steppe we found excellent specimens near a sand quarry where plants were growing at the edges of the fields. Flower was harvested in End of August and cured for 4 months prior to smoke test. Flavor from this spot was very. The high ranging encompassing cerebral THC as well as full body medicinal effects.
Smell like fresh flowers, pineapple, and woody scents like Moroccan and Lebanese cannabis, the smoke was smooth and the taste was phenomenal after a proper to cure.

9 Likes

That Crimean sativa is perhaps remnants of what the Scythians used to smoke combined with hemp populations from Ukraine. I hope you find something good. The plants certainly looked like they had been domesticated at one point in time. Great branching and it looks like buds go all the way to the main stalk. I had read THC can go as high as 7%, which although it doesn’t sound High, is right around what you would find in plants from Malana, India ( 5-10%) that even as ganja instead of charas is known as good old-fashioned red eye weed with a bright, joyous high. It has potential.

8 Likes

@Upstate Did you say Scythians :face_with_monocle: I am very interested in Scythian cannabis varieties

4 Likes

I remember Crimean Blue from Barney’s Farm… supposedly a pure Crimean landrace plant. Not sure I believe that now, but still, it shows the potential.

4 Likes

Angus ( owner of the Real Seed Company) mentioned the possible connection to the Scythians on his site I believe. He sells the Crimean. Not sure if it’s the same collection or not. I think it probably is. Kwik seeds will deliver to the US

4 Likes

@Upstate thanks don’t know how I missed that one! I’m just finishing up Chris Bennett’s “Liber 420” and the Scythian culture’s cannabis use is fascinating.

3 Likes

Hope its in stock for you. He’s been running out of some of his stuff due to covid.

Regarding the Bashkortostan:

Location: Lake Chebarkul, Southern Siberian, Bashkortostan Russia :ru:

Type: Super-Autoflower XXL Ruderalis

Soil: Soil was mostly poor and rocky, located south east of the Ural Mountains. The Ural Mountains form the continental boundary between Europe and Asia, Chelyabinsk itself is therefore also known as "The Gateway to Siberia.” These were gathered at 54’ N 60’ L . The leaves were thin and heavily serrated. The Buds were resinous and very oily. It flowers in July at 54 degrees North latitude.

3 Likes

This is great info… thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I am bidding on breader pk of these right now was wondering how you liked them? And whats a good price for 20 pk

If memory serves me right, I paid less than $2 per bean - I’d have to go back and look but pretty sure it was like $60 for 35.
I haven’t had the chance to run any yet so I can’t speak to that.
I can PM you Greg’s email if you want to reach out to him for more info - he always got back to me pretty quickly and was happy to answer any questions… bet you might be able to score some directly from him if the auction doesn’t turn out favorably for ya