S1 vs feminized crosses

I’ll be spraying my bubba kush with colloidal silver soon to make feminized seeds. What are the differences in growth/plant/health/general differences between selfing it to itself or taking the pollen and breeding with a different Bubba kush plant?

5 Likes

If it’s a clone off the same plant it’s selfing vs if your pollenating a sister plant. Either way it’s furthering the F generation of that strain. Selfing is just a term done in cannabis since it’s usually a cross pollinator, but it limits the outside genes that may not contribute towards the goal of your breeding. Going to a different strain will be a cross.

1 Like

I have a few bubbakush plants from a pack of regular seeds, is it still considered an s1 if I take the pollen from one plant and cross it with a sister plant?

1 Like

Other than getting traits and expanding the genes is are there no negatives to breeding it with itself vs a sister plant?

3 Likes

I’m interested to hear the answers here too, I’ve heard some breeders talk about the proper term/title being “R1” as in a reversed plant hit to something else vs an “S1” being the plant reversed and hit to a clone of itself

5 Likes

Yes, R1, that’s what I read, but is a S1 say more likely to herm than an R1 or more likely to have defects and hinderences in comparison?

1 Like

That’s a tough one, I could probably muster some theories on the matter but there are smarter folks here that know better so ima just gonna clam up and wait for the knowledge to drop

2 Likes

I’m not a breeder but to me it wouldn’t be. To be selfed it would be crossed back to itself. Fem seeds could’ve been made in many different ways using different parent plants.
Even if the seeds were Fem S1s each seed would be slightly different genetically. So if you reversed one and crossed it to another it would produce different variety of offspring than if you had just pollinated a clone of the reversed plant.

But what I’ve always wondered was what would have if you tried to create a selfed ibl. Would it eventually give you seeds that come out just like the single parent or would it inbred them plant into garbage?

2 Likes

These are actually from an inbred line, they are Bubba Kush IBL, now selfed is that what your talking about when you say selfed ibl?

I would say no, not necessarily; it depends on more than just that one factor. The way I understand it, herm prone genetics and genetic deformities breed into like. So, is your S1 or R1 plant coming from herm prone stock or stable? Thats a major factor. Was it some minor stress that caused it to throw pollen and self or was it reversed intentionally? An S1 will have less genetic diversity than an R1 sibling, so you might get a closer replica of mom. Over time, however, inbreeding successively can lead to genetic decline and loss of vigor. There are benefits and downsides to both is how I see it. The main difference between is S1 having the least amount of genetic info added to the mix but also most at prone to eventual genetic decline issues w successive inbreeding.

6 Likes

I was thinking you take a specific plant from those seeds, self it and then find a plant most like the parent from those seeds and cross it back to the parent and repeat several times. Would you end up with seeds that are very similar to the parent or would you end up with some weird mutant

1 Like

When you grew your Bubba kush pack, how much variation was there ?

There was a bit, I got 3 different phenos from 8 females Bubba 1, 3, 7 pheno 1, Bubba 2, 6 pheno 2 and Bubba 4, 5, 8 pheno 3 is what I’ve labeled them as. I kept clones from pheno 1 and 2

The plants in each labeled pheno group are identical to the other plants in that same group

2 Likes

If you take a pack of reg and the males pollenate the females=F2
If you have the same pack and they all turn out female and you reverse one. The seeds from the reversed plants are S1 the seeds from the sisters are Feminized.
That is as far as I am sure of from reading here. I am not a breeder just a reader.

1 Like

That’s right, I was wondering if there are differences between the s1 and feminized crosses with the sisters

1 Like

Pretty much just more genetic variation from crossing to the sisters over pollinating a clone of the plant that you reversed

2 Likes

As @MWgrower said, there’s more genetic diversity from crossing to a sibling than self-pollination. In lines that are wide-ranging polyhybrids from the start, that can be a lot of added diversity, or a little depending on selections; in more inbred lines, there’s not going to be as much focus on selections but the crossing still helps to keep out recessives. In truly inbred lines, there’s no difference crossing to siblings because they’re isogenic - but the rest of the scientific world considers that to happen at around F150, which doesn’t happen much in cannabis lines that I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for your knowledge, guys!!

Would those be fem and a new name or fem and the AxBxC or whatever you call the new ones?

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

From the way it is written, this would be it:

selfing the mother: Orange Bud S1
crossing to a sister: Orange Bud Fem

the genetic diversity would be greater in the fem variant than in the s1 variant.

2 Likes