Selfing a S1?

I don’t know squat about breeding… But I like to chuck-

If a S1 has 2 main phenotypes, should I self both and pollinate both with each? Or would that be a waste of effort?

Is it even a good idea to try to self a S1???

4 Likes

Selfing a S1 would be best done with only reveversing one plant and pollinating the other. This should make a even more uniform offspring. You can run into sterilization problems in the future continueing into S2, S3 generations, as well as low vigor. I suggest you revegg your goal S2 offspring to allow the genome to change slightly that way you can hopefully avoid any inbreeding depression as you may further breed for a true homogeneous representation. Best of luck.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing-

3 Likes

Revegging will, unfortunately, not cure inbreeding depression. It’s the same DNA.

5 Likes

the real question is - do you believe both are worth keeping and furthering? Are there traits from one you want to see in the other? Or do you just really like one of the Pheno’s?

Never hurts to S1. Just have to test it afterwards and find out. The S1 will not be the same as the mother though, that you’d have to work towards.

3 Likes

A) Hard to parse that word salad
B) Chimps aren’t pot plants
C) The genome absolutely does not change during reveg. IDK where you came up with that.

1 Like

Like I said, thanks for sharing. I appreciate everyone’s opinions and experiences-

1 Like

I think if there’s a single plant you really like but want to keep in some form of seed then out crossing to something completely different and then back crossing with a select male might be the best way.
The reason you want something completely different is that it makes it easier to pick out the traits from your mother in the future offspring to make sure the male is mostly like the original mother plant.

1 Like

I’d definitely cross siblings of your S1 if you can like @V4vendetta suggested. You keep around more of the genome that way. Generational selfing can lock in traits too quickly and produce bad results.

8 Likes

Yup. I made S1 of my favorite auto last year, now growing out 2 for making more S1, or is it now s2, crossing 2 siblings of the same s1 strain?

2 Likes

There is a such thing as over breeding. Meaning you breed something to a point that it’s genetics overcome the genetics used in a cross. This might sound great, however the goal of breeding is to manipulate the gene pool in order to get better results from that breeding.
When the genetics are too tight, over bred, this no longer happens and only the genes of the dominant donor will appear. The good and the bad genes will be dominate on a lesser breed individual.
Let’s say your over bred specimen has low terps. The “low terp” will be transferred in to the offspring used in the cross.
What I’m saying is this type of breeding will make it almost impossible to remover negative effects even over generations of breedings.
That’s a lot of time to put into something that you may have to eventually scrap. Like the guy said above, hopefully it’s worth breeding. If there is anything about the plant that you don’t like, you are about to double that, and possibly permanently “lock it in” to your genetics.
If you don’t like something about it, I guarantee that other will not like it either. Good luck

3 Likes