Breeding through selfing a line

So basically I just want to gain an understanding of selfing a line and how to do it properly.

I plan to self a Sour Bubble female onto a few other strains. Aside from SLH I’m not exactly sure what else this will include.

Are there any pitfalls to avoid?
-SLH is already an s1. Any issues there?
-Using stock bx seeds straight from BOG vs f2?

• is bxing back to original clone or s1 dangerous?

There are so many intricacies to all of this it almost boggles my mind lol. If anyone could atleast help me to understand the basics I would greatly appreciate it :woozy_face::joy:.

5 Likes

Dangerous? No lol. I assure you no one will be injured haha.

You won’t really know until you grow the seeds that you make whether it was a good pairing.

Many of the popular clones are second generation selfed plants (or more). You can’t self indefinitely like tomatoes but you’ll probably be fine.

9 Likes

Yeah I’ve been searching around while I was thinking about this. Back when I was growing the common knowledge was that selfing can cause herms. But that doesn’t seem to be true I guess. Good to know

3 Likes

I think thats a matter of repeated selfing. Selfing once, then outcrossing or backcrossing seems ok. But self repeated generations I gotta imagine is like having sex with your sister. Eventually the kids aint gonna be ok.

9 Likes

Wonder if there’s a plant equivalent of the hapsberg chin :joy:

4 Likes

There’s gotta be… But I’m not about to inbreed the heck out of a strain to find out. Just not that curious ROFL. Maybe the equivalent is the Herm trait!

4 Likes

You can get plants with male flowers from regular seeds, the issue with severely inbred plants seems to be more vigor and structural. Mutants and otherwise “weird” plants that don’t yield and grow poorly.

2 Likes

Making S1 of plants causing a higher herm rate is partly a myth. It comes from people reversing plants that naturally herm if flowered longer than usual. For instance, old school strains like blueberry, NL, “skunks”, etc. Were flowered longer than normal so the plants would go into survival mode and throw male parts to create the next generation.

If you were to self plants like those that naturally herm when over flowered you’re more likely to make seeds that have a predisposition to herm as well.

If you take the time to stress test the plants and they don’t herm no matter what you do, then you reverse and cross with them they’re less likely to be predisposed to herm. Examples of this would be the brothers Grimm XX lines. Mr. Soul did an interview where he explained this. I think on an episode of weed nerd.

7 Likes

Backcrossing as in reversing s1 or s2 onto the original clone, would be fine even?

Honestly I wonder how many breeders are using selfing techniques but just don’t mention it because of the “bad press” about it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much man :sunglasses::pray:. I think that explains a big portion of the thoughts racing through my mind :joy:.

And yes mr soul! I used to be a gigantic Apollo 11 fan and it’s awesome to see them back at it. That g13xgenius… I might have to pick that up lol.

1 Like

There’s talk of a lot of breeders, especially in the past, when they would release “a line” they never
actually use the cut they keep. Instead, they reverse their cut and use an S1 to make seeds. That way no one will ever get exactly what they have. Some bs really :joy:

4 Likes

You know it’s true…

2 Likes

S1’s can produce a better product then the original clone sometimes. I like incrosses. With selfing a plant you can outcross over and over and its still a dominant factor in the genes or easily seen in the future progeny. After about 5 outcrosses i started to see the selfed mother traits start to fade in the offspring. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

@CARE_giver I see you’re already in good hands :slightly_smiling_face:

I thought slh was a ssh cross? With a lemon skunk maybe?

One thing I can add is that when selfing, the more homozygous the plant/line the less self generation you can do before the line is plagued with deleterious recessives.

For example an already inbred line would probably deteriorate by s2-s3. And a 10 strains mashup could still be healthy at s8.

Slh should fall somewhere between the two :laughing:

2 Likes

No doubt, it just depends on the cultivar. I’ve seen Nspecta of CSI say multiple times that usually half the S1’s will be trash and the other half will be good, with some greats in there too, but it still depends on the cut being reversed.

I was just stating that using an S1 instead of THE cut to make seeds with, and then calling the line the same thing, is wrong and misleading imo.

Any plant can be dominant for any traits that get passed along regardless of the level of inbred-ness. You don’t have to self to see that. Especially when further inbreeding, you’re just doubling up on genes. So if they’re already dominant anyways, that’s all your gonna see. That’s actually the issue with a lot of the clone-only’s. They aren’t always representative of the line they came from, they’re one-off freaks with recessive genes so breeding with them doesn’t usually pass the best traits they carry, you need to get to f2’s or f3’s to see it, or backcross, or self it to see more of them due to the recessive nature of the genes.

4 Likes

I watched a seminar by mr soul on “female” seeds. So that summed up that part.

And yeah mith it’s a ssh x lemon skunk. I’m not sure how inbred it is… if at all. Anyone know?

It’s not a bad starting point. Not super poly hybrid hell like most crap nowadays.

Lol nope not dangerous at all my friend you may find something you love .But ideally you want to cross your girl with a sister instead of selfing her.I usually find two Very similar phenos if possible and cross those then cross the offspring with the mother again Me and my circle are usually happy with the results this way.

3 Likes

Yeah I was planning to do something like this after reading about a few things left had Tom
Hill had mentioned. :sunglasses::pray:

I have a solid plan now, and it’s basically just to keep it simple and start from strong mother keepers.

Ohhhh, LOL - literally. I’m considering a “selfing” operation if I find a decent candidate @Nagel420

1 Like

I was curious about that. I mean, they sell us their seeds, but it’s a diminished S1, which means we all make S2 x back crosses? … that makes the exhorbenent cost of seeds a little irritating…

2 Likes