Scts' set it and forget it

Nothing wrong with keeping it diverse either, I hope to have enough of a bed to have all sorts of beneficial organisms for veggies and maybe some autos in my grow.

1 Like

Its been a while. Update !!!

I’ve been letting the cover crop grow and just dropped 3 abc site 3 in there. They seem to love the full sun. Im pushing these ones for now, ill be bringing them into my tent at some point. I know. I’m crazy and risking pests and pathogens

Oh and I planted a few goldie Yarrow in there too. The bare patches are going to get some borage

9 Likes

Planted the borage seeds. Its really growing fast now. I had to do my first chop, then sprinkled he bits around the plants.

They are growing super fast and happy in the real sunlight. This is my first outdoor…

8 Likes

I’m considering some ABC for an outdoor experiment too. I would love to grow outdoors but I live in suburbia. Hoping ABC and lots of cover crop I can get something done.

But yeah! You are crazy bringing those in! Lol.

2 Likes

Well I’m in a mobile, so we’re all up eachothers asses. I might leave it outside. Call it an Australian bush hops or something…

2 Likes

Growing fast, they love the sun. I have to cut the cover crop about every 3 days. The tallest one is almost a foot already!!

I can see some fungus gnats, so I’m going to dust with DE and hopefully take them out. I already tried spinosad. It knocked the population down, but not out.

8 Likes

DE has always worked on gnats for me. You dont have to put a heavy amount either. I just lightly dust to top of the soil and for added protection i throw a sticky trap on top of each soil. That will catch any stragglers.

2 Likes

I assume you know to re apply after the surface of soil gets dry. When DE gets wet it does not work. Has to be dry. I usually apply the next morning after watering. And the silica in the DE is good for roots, and strong stems.

4 Likes

Yep, I havent used it in years, but I remember it being a nuclear kill lol

1 Like

yeah the de is good it cuts up soft bodied bugs. Itll stop em from getting to your stalk and climbing up. Love those containers id like to find some online sonewheres im gonna check that spot you said although 20 years past theyre probably not a hot item now.

2 Likes

De is no good for living soil though. I prefer beneficial nematodes, and de will destroy those guys. I found that out the hard way, long ago. 🤦

5 Likes

Too late now…

Could you please elaborate on this? I’ve never heard it before. Kills the nematodes? Are the nematodes to kill the fungus gnats?

1 Like

Is this just for outdoor grows looks
Pretty interesting,I’ll stick around for this

1 Like

They’re also a nuisance and carry TB :joy:

2 Likes

Great points for sure :joy:

2 Likes

My goal is to break my dependence on bottles. And to actually, finally grow outdoors.

6 Likes

Hey very cool I’ll be following along I too endeavor to give up the bottle lol anyway looking good sir It’s also my first year trying outside for real sokeep up the good work

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been growing indoors for over a decade, but never outdoors. Since I have these abc’s that are so stealth, I decided to give it a shot. I have plants outside at a few friends house too, but I’m just helping advise those guys and gave them clones of freakshow, stealth fighter and my crunchberry

3 Likes

Yeah. The beneficial nematodes are great at killing pests in your soil. Well, killing the eggs and larve of them. But if you use DE, it will kill any pest that ingests it, including the beneficials. So a living soil would be in rough shape if you use DE.

3 Likes