SE vs DE hps what do you think?

Does anybody have experience going from regular hps yo the de? I’m thinking about going the de route. My Galaxy grow amp will already run it, I just need a new reflector. I was thinking since it’s time for a new bulb anyway, maybe it’s a good time to switch. What does the og crowd think of de hps?

1 Like

I have no experience, but will certain follow along.

i have no personal experience from what i’ve understood DE is more for large scale applications meant for overlap with other fixtures and hung a lot? higher

@Viva_Mexico knows about DE HPS i believe

1 Like

you know what they say, once you DE, you don’t go back!

Yes, run the DE! Much more efficient and has UV for more tricomes!!

2 Likes

@Viva_Mexico is there a noticable increase in weight and trich production?

1 Like

Weight not sure yet but I would say I believe so.

Tricomes I can confirm that I have ran the same strain under hps and de hps and the tricome difference is definitely notable.

1 Like

I am using the wing type now.

4 Likes

Sunlight supply offers a de reflector setup for venting

@Viva_Mexico what brand bulbs do you use?

1 Like

I’m learning that with the vented hood you’re supposed to run the fan at 10%. I’m not sure I can run de in my type of situation and keep the temperature in check. If I vent at 10% of my fans capacity the temps will be far too high. If I run an open reflector my temps will be too high again. I’m kind of bummed out right now. I wanted to go de.

1 Like

Being afforded the opportunity of lending a helping hand on the harvests of people close to me allowed me to see quite a few rooms with standard HPS lighting, most common obviously being the Hortilux SHPS… night and day difference from standard with DE! Was very used to going in rooms with no protective eyewear but with DE’s I couldn’t even open my eyes all the way with the door open :joy:
My first run was six DE fixtures (spaced roughly one and a half feet from each other) in a room only a little more than 100sqft with 7 ft ceilings. Kept them dialed to 600 instead of 1k and had around 70k BTU’s. Had no problems with bleaching or heat (tops were about 2-3 ft away from bulbs) and when everything got pulled the flowers were rocks from top to bottom… very little larf comparatively and as @Viva_Mexico said there is absolutely a difference in trichome production. How many AC BTU’s do you have running and what are the dimensions of your room? If you can make it work it’s a no brainer switch…

1 Like

I have an 8x8 room built, and flower inside a 4x4 tent inside that 8x8 room. I use a single 750 cfm 8" fan to vent. I use a 12k btu ac.

1 Like

If you were to only have one DE light within that 4x4 I think you will be fine even if you were to crank it to 1k… not an expert on this but the 12k and 750cfm should be more than enough for that :grin:

Air cooled hood or no?

1 Like

I used 750 DE for years and wouldn’t go bigger without 10 ft ceilings. Heat and intensity gets to be problematic. If you dim HPS the efficiency goes down hill and the spectrum changes. It will still work but not efficiently. A 1000 watt bulb in a 4x4 tent is a fire hazard. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s why I’m producing fire! @ryasco

1 Like

Good luck and be careful.

2 Likes

Love the set up.wish I had that much room would use all of it what we got for flavor .

his thread is super impressive, it’s located here