Searching for the best LED grow lights

Close. You left out “resistance” I think. One watt of resistance will create the same amount of heat no matter the source/circuit. In an electric light, watts turn into photons (light) and heat. The better the light is at turning watts into photons (efficiency), the less heat it will produce per watt consumed. A 30% efficient light will turn 70% of its power into heat, but a 50% efficient light will only convert 50% of those watts into heat.

More efficient lights produce less heat, period. They are not all the same.

I would agree generally about “cheap” LED. Cheap generic COBs aren’t much more efficient than CFLs and HPS. But even cheap generic Chinese COBs will replace 200w of HID and grow better bud over the given canopy area, without light movers or 12 inches of vertical profile to devote to hanging a reflector. That matters for a lot of 200w cabinet growers. Cheap white 50w COBs are about $1 on Ebay, drivers are less than 20 cents/watt. But cheap is cheap, whether COBs or HID.

Here’s the basic efficiency ranges of different lamp techs:

Incandescents: 17 lumens/watt
Mercury vapor: 45-50 lumens/watt
Fluorescents: 60-70 lumens/watt
Metal halide: 90 lumens/watt
High pressure sodium: 107 lumens/watt

Lose cheap as the first priority and the efficiency gap widens dramatically between HPS and LED. The Samsung chips in SolStrips have efficiencies in the range of 187-212 lumens/watt depending on how hard they are driven. That’s close to 2x the efficiency of HPS. Add the fact that all the light produced by an LED is emitted in a 120 degree cone aimed directly at the canopy, rather than a 360 degree sphere where 2/3 of the photons have to be reflected back and through the bulb before they get the chance to hit a leaf, and the efficiencies of LED over HID start to become clear, especially compared to smaller wattage HID.

Bottom line, with modern, better quality LED, you use far less watts to produce the same amount of light-on-leaves than HID, and you use those watts twice as efficiently. Less watts total equals less heat, and watts used far more efficiently equals far less waste heat.

Photon for photon, LEDs create far less waste heat than HID, hands down. It’s not even close.

-b420

10 Likes

I agree.

The problem is the low quality LED fixtures. They put out much more heat and much less light than a quality fixture.

I only recommend HID when people don’t want to DIY and want the cheapest they can get.

The title of this thread is kind of a misnomer as “best” is almost always subjective

2 Likes

lol yes because mars hydro/viparspectra and best used in a sentence about LEDs would be something like
'mars hydro and viparspectra are the best LEDs to avoid"

@Baudelaire thanks for clarifying that, so heat = power consumption - light emitted

3 Likes

I also vote for DIY if you’re up to the task as it is cheaper. That is what I have done. I recently bought 9 Cree CXA 3050 100W cobs for only $1.80 a piece, it was the last 9 they had unfortunately or I would have bought more of them at that cost they are a little older and have been replace by the CXB which is more efficient but still at that cost one can’t lose .

My point is if you search you can find parts on the cheap. I also use old pc printer power supplies for drivers as a lot of them can be found that are 31-36 volts that will work perfect as drivers for cobs and can be gotten for cheap… So for $18 I got essentially 450-500w worth of cob lights if I run them at around 50w to make them more efficient than if ran at 100w which is around 165lm per watt… Then you also just use old pc cpu coolers for the cobs to save even more money.

2 Likes

This is why I decided to order Sol Strips after years of using a 1000 watt MH. I’m really anxious to flower out some Sativas under LED’s.

3 Likes

ok im convinced solstrips or cob but i found this what do people think of these ?
Optic LED Grow Lights
OPTIC 1 COB LED Grow Light 54W 3500k COB

optics are extremely overpriced imo, i’m pretty sure they are rebranded sunplus LEDs for twice the price. you are much better off building your own. here is a 3 cob kit using same CXB 3590’s and 5x the wattage for only $20 more

edit: it’s only $20 more than the optic 1 sale price, it’s $30 less than the regular price lmao

https://www.rapidled.com/cree-cxb3590-triple-cob-kit/

http://www.sunplusled.com/category/led-grow-lights/

1 Like

I purchased a kit of 6 50 watt CLU 48 1212 @3500K Kit came complete with everything £240 shipped to the UK from Kingbright

3 Likes

that’s an awesome deal! is kingbright an american company?

what 3000k 35000k ? iv got a mars ll 400w i want to pull apart and do the deadmou5 conversion cheers for the help

1 Like

Id say 3500k would be a good for both flower and veg or you could use a mix of 3000k and 4000k…

No, an Alibaba distributor. He has been around for a while, several of the LED guys in RIU have dealt with him. I looked into it when building my lamps, but ended up buying from Arrow / Cobkits / Rapidled / HLG.

1 Like

oh yes that’s probably where i’ve heard it then

1 Like

i need a full spectrum for both cheers mate

@casperdeigh I am with Pookie on this one. My 3500k COBs grew beautiful lush plants and dense nugs. Now I´m running 3000k for flowering, but I believe they would veg just fine as well.

1 Like

whats the best for both cutters is just round the corner from were i live wich suprised this is what i got so far
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Spectrum-Aquarium-LED-Lighting-Fish-Tank-Light-Hydroponics-Plant-Grow-Lamps/322459563088?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D4a7e7a2a7c1a471d93c5c8a3189a70a6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D282394786419&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
and im willing to spend $300aud any advice would help i need somthing for both veg and flowers i got my old mars ll 400w and pulled the drivers and heatsinks off it i dont know if i should use that for the growmou5 conversion or use the smaller one with just the 2 crees instead of 4 thers 3 drivers in the mars and they supose to suport 2 crees each and the heat sink should slide in to the ebay light with some sheet aliuiminm drill cut holes for the cree domes and wella its for a 60x60x180 tent

this section on cutters website is called ‘MAU5 KITS’ i’m not sure whats in there
http://www.cutter.com.au/categories.php?cat=MAU5+KITS

1 Like

You are in luck if you have Cutter so close. I would ask them, they have good customer service, and even gave me info once without actually being looking into buying anything.

In your situation I would go with 3500k cobs. Last time I looked into COBs, months ago, the Luminus CXM 22 appeared to be the best bang for the buck. I use Cree CXB 3590s, but their price is still high while other competitors have come with more cost effective options. Check out what Cutter has in stock and go with that.

An alternative would be LED strips, if I remember correctly Cutter has been producing some, and even custom spectrum COBs. If you can run them without heatsinks you would save money on heatsinks.

About converting the old lamp I don´t know. If it has puny little heatsinks, they are not probably good for much. Seems like a fun project, more so with Growmau5 “assistance”, but you probably won´t save a lot of money going that way.

The other thing you have to look into is the driver (if the one in the mars does not work). Meanwells are rather expensive, but their HLG drivers are solid and I believe a de facto standard in these LED DIY setups. Check the link below to pair LEDs and drivers. For example, a HLG-480H-C1400 can drive 6 of those CXM 22 up to about 450w, which would kill it in your tent (you would likely have to dim them). I like the “B” versions better, to run the dimmers remotely or pair them with a light controller.

1 Like

3000K 90CRI is the best spectrum at the moment. 3500K 80CRI is almost as good and that’s what I’m running.

2 Likes

Mr.b you so smart why you be so smart hahaha

1 Like