Seed Breeder and Seller Association and Standards

The abandonment of the source rule in federal Drug Enforcement means that Cannabis seed having less than .3% THC by weight is no longer considered a Schedule 1 drug under Federal Law regardless of the fact that they are generated by plants having a higher THC content. The legality of seed possession and sale in any state is dependent on the authorization to cultivate the herb having a higher than .3% THC content by members of licensed or unlicensed growers. In states where the private non commercial cultivation of Cannabis known as marijuana or marihuana is no longer prohibited, seeds are necessary for individuals to exercise that right.
Michigan has the most liberal authorization of the private cultivation of cannabis allowing for 12 plants growing at any one time and the right to keep, gift and store all of the cannabis grown at a residence. That is some serious weight.
Although Michigan has codified the source rule in its 2018 Initiated Law, The Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act, the Legislature and the Cannabis Regulatory Agency have not provided any means to track, sell, tax or regulate cannabis seed. In fact it is illegal for dispensaries to sell seed to members of the unlicensed general public in their stores; perhaps because although seed is defined as marihuana in the law a tracking number is not assigned to seed. Even in the face of regulator’s stated intention to track all things marihuana from seed to sale. Citizens under the Michigan initiative also have the statutory right to provide assistance, not limited to gift or volunteerism, to other citizens to exercise the right to cultivation. A seed seller fits that authority to sell non psychoactive seed to a T. The intentional oversight indicates to me an unwillingness to regulate and tax the right to private cultivation and that the control of seed would necessarily mean. The true end of prohibition is the return of the right to privately cultivate after 100 years of actions by some to limit the sale of the herb to the underground gangster economy.
Before any attempt to regulate seed is made, I believe it would behoove breeders, seed banks and seed sellers to organize a national association to promulgate voluntary rules setting out best practices and standards in seed breeding and sales. If such an association and its standards is in place it may influence any rules that may bind cultivators and seed sellers in the future. It may also serve to make the industry better and sustainable.
Perhaps this organization already exists. If so, I would like to be its attorney. If not, I would like to be its attorney in the future. What say you?

4 Likes

I say no to any of that.
You and your group will use it to leverage advantage.

9 Likes

lol what are they going to do put a microscopic barcode on each individual seed? i seed it now seed tracking then seed to sale :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:good lulk with that

6 Likes

Rather than trying to organize a group that will regulate seed ahead of seed regulations, your legal skills would be better used working to permanently and completely deschedule cannabis in all its forms. If you managed to make the growing, manufacturing, and use of cannabis as legal as tomatoes, you’d be the most celebrated law firm of the 21st century.

11 Likes

Far more useful would be a worldwide scientific & legal counsel group that would advise & direct government bodies in creation of reasonable & fair cannabis regulation/de-regulation, with the ultimate goal of no restrictions on its possession/use/cultivation/transportation/distribution by adults.

:balance_scale:

:evergreen_tree: :pray: :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I agree with everything that has been said. Including what Arb inferred, that someone would try to monetize it. But does anyone agree with this part of my posting?
“The true end of prohibition is the return of the right to privately cultivate after 100 years of actions by some to limit the sale of the herb to the underground gangster economy.”

2 Likes

Pretty sure they want/wanted to limit the sale of cannabis to all of society. Not just the “underground gangster economy”.

3 Likes

I agree with this portion of your statement.

4 Likes

How about labelling standards? Wines have terms like vintage, region, source, varietal…
Seeds could have strain, filial generation, terpene profile, germination rate or guarantee. You see these descriptions everywhere but it is far from standard. Or what the bare minimum a seed user needs to know about his purchase. I have enough to do without having to figure out what someone in New Jersey means by “earthy”.

I think labeling standards are already set and recognized. The recognized top breeders label things just fine. Those that do not follow the standards are those that have not taken time to research the proper nomenclature (jumped in to make money). What a seed purchaser must know is subjective to their own knowledge. I’d rather someone say earthy than the specific terpene combination. I can’t tell what something smells like by reading percentages of terpenes.

2 Likes

Don’t think I have ever knowingly bought seed from a breeder. Its all been online except the only brick and mortar seed store I know of and that is in Jackson, Michigan. The standards would give the small breeders credibility to be “local” and trusted because they are following a standard determined by a bunch of people that do it. Not everybody can start out recognized or even wants ever to be on a mega scale. The right to cultivate is very new.

Labeling standards & industry standards are great but secondary to legal use & possession (globally). The lapdog UN, etc all have to be brought to modernity & acceptance.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Your inexperience and lack of understanding of cannabis history are very evident, as is your primary desire to make a name for yourself as “the attorney who saved cannabis” along with the fame and fortune you believe will come with that title.

2 Likes

SmackyMcSmackers, you must have me confused with Harry Anslinger chasing his scream.

1 Like

Someone in New Jersey is still committing a felony for growing a single seedling, aside from the MSOs. Pretty sure whatever bureaucratic organization you’re forming won’t be big enough for them to care about you, but will still be too big and official for underground growers. I fully believe that you have the best of intentions, though. :slight_smile: I’d love to see commercial breeders actually held to a standard and accountable for what they label their seeds as - 90% of the seed vendors out there would go out of business to start, since you can’t label an untested polyhybrid accurately.

The end of prohibition occurs when all adults have the right to cultivate the herb. As it was 100 years ago. My interest ends there with seeds. If you can’t grow it where you live, NORML knows how to get it done so you should join a state chapter. The herb has always been available. Law Enforcement actively participates in most places by turning a blind eye to some activities. If the herb becomes as common in a home garden (like mine with stealthy autoflowers) as tomatoes and peppers, the profit for gangsters and law enforcement evaporates and prohibition ends. Adding another layer of complexity is that under international treaty spearheaded by Anslinger, the US cannot legalize cannabis but the US and by inference the states can regulate it. Maybe when the time is right I suppose the President and the Senate can annul the treaties.

3 Likes

In Jersey everything is so screwed up. I bump into people all the time asking me about Jersey laws and even the cops have no clue what they are looking for. Some think the medical license give a normal person the right to grow. nobody knows CRAP! Gov Murphy is a joke and so are the laws. Good thing about the East Coast is you can just literally grow in the woods and nobody will know. Become a HIKER and find a good field and grow. Been doing for a long time and just tag and bag bc winter it does not work unless it is like this year being so mild as I placed under clear plastic this year so far not to bad Just put up some natural barriers so wind would not hurt as much. Looks like a trash hemp from far away but nobody has messed with it in three years.

1 Like

I find it particularly amusing that he’s colluding with a Russian oligarch to influence popular opinion against homegrowing so that he can collect more bribes. Wait, did I say amusing? I meant outrageous, of course… sometimes I have trouble telling the difference when politicians are concerned, mostly because it’s better for my mental health to stay amused by it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like