Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics/Cost/OT Discussion Megathread

I concur, let’s get this over with and do an evaluation in 6–12 months.

I think the welcome seeds packs will actually be the killer feature that came out of this discussion.

And yes, I see the irony in saying OG should be about community, not free seeds, but then discussing free seed regulations for ages. :wink: Let’s get back to growing. :seedling:

4 Likes

I concur at TL3 there is also no fear of the donated pack disappearing

I think some autos in the welcome pack would be cool if someone on here makes them

5 Likes

I like it! 20 characters, too.

3 Likes

I think we should stick to poll… Trust level 2 will get seeds once trust 3 level get’s theirs correct I kind of lost track. Though if I recall, this sounds like orig plan set forth right before the poll, right?

Wait?? With welcome seed packs come one hit wonders wanting free shit. I think 3 pips for welcome packs

9 Likes

Also, who is bearing the cost of these welcome packs and who is making them or taking on this can of worms? Curious.

9 Likes

I think they are talking about that (welcome kit) over here:

5 Likes

What if level 3 was like being “elite” status with frequent flyer miles?
It’s good for the current year once qualifications are met, and allowed privileges for the following year as well to allow time to meet the quals again?
That would allow level 3s a buffer to re-qualify, but drop them to level 2 eventually if not around anymore.

Is there even a way to track that sort of stuff in the software?
Or maybe making it too complicated?

1 Like

Thanks Man! Trying to catch up after vacation

2 Likes

I don’t think logging in 50% of the time is an unrealistic expectation. People spend 400x that amount playing on their cell phones.

6 Likes

Where’s my Welcome seed pack? I think Seed runs should only be posted in the Private lounge, that would be a good surprise and reward for someone that earned that privilege, better than a honeypot in the general forum for newcomers looking for free seeds.

If someone participates and helps in the community without looking for a reward, it becomes a valuable member and deserves those seeds when finally reaching that level. I think we have now the right amount of members and family size and getting bigger with a bunch of newcomers looking for freebies would seriously interfere with the spirit and behaviour of this site.

More members wouldn’t definitely mean more supporters, but sure more work for our mods, breeders and distributors. Let’s find out first how we can improve and enhance our actual situation. Once everything goes smoothly and it’s well organized perhaps we can think about getting bigger, not a priority for me now … :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Alright, its decided…

The preservation runs will be accessible to level 2+ members - In each journal, we’ll have 2 numbered lists…1 for level 3 and 1 for level 2 members so in the event of a limited seed count level 3 members shall come 1st.

Only 1 seed pack per strain per person. 150 numerical sign ups starting at the day of light flip…75 slots for level 3 members, 75 slots for level 2 members – 1st come 1st served depending upon your member status. If the breeders fall short of 750 seeds to fulfill the level 3 list the strain will be reran immediately with clones kept by the breeder. If a member didn’t get in on the 1st round, will have to wait until a repeat seed run is made or arrange a trade with someone

Plan on a repeat strain seed run every other year ie Skunk 91 done in 2019 - repeat needed in 2021, 2023 etc
2 mail outs a year: breeders have strains sent to distributors by end of March and September for the 3rd week of April and October mailings starting fresh with the next box in 2020

MOTR can accept all seeds runs from breeders to package if needed from November to March and send to distributors for the April mailings… individual breeders will have to package and send out their strains to distributors from April to September for the October mailings

Each distributor receives a copy of the lists by end of March and September to know how much to collect from members in their area and give those members an opportunity to pass on a strain to go to a specific member, towards a periodic server fundraiser, member contribution award or contest

Each member makes a payment to their distributor by the 2nd week of April and September using the following breakdown:
All package prices are in USD and determined by your regional postage costs plus 2 dollars USD per seed strain to cover costs of packaging and mailing to distributors as needed with any excess balance over 155.00 going to OverGrow server costs.
Africa: MikeM; x for tracked and x for untracked + 2 per each strain
Aus: Johnnybsmokin; 13 for tracked and 5 for untracked + 2 per each strain
Canada: Shadey; 12 for tracked and 3 for untracked + 2 per each strain
Latin America: MadScientist; 10 for tracked and 6 for untracked + 2 per each strain
UK: Gaz29; 9 for tracked and 3 for untracked + 2 per each strain
EU: George1961 after Brexit; 9 for tracked and 3 for untracked + 2 per each strain
US: MomOnTheRun; 8 for tracked and 5 for untracked + 2 per each strain

The only exception is seed packs gifted to the community as most do not have a journal as well as, any private seed gifting/exchange, server fundraiser and contest seed packs submitted by end of March and September to save on additional postage

Each distributor will have audits done by Meesh in May and November – any funds over 155.00 is added to the server fund. This will go towards breeders packaging costs and shipping to distributors to use as needed …members are encouraged to donate these items so the 155.00 per distributor is a back up only as an extra assurance the community will receive these strains

29 Likes

OverGrow for the win :slight_smile:

9 Likes

i think the level 3 should be permanent. I have been here a very long time and usually don’t sign in so I have gotten level 3 and had it taken away multiple times over the years even though I’m here all the time lurking. This site could really benefit by being “sign in only” Not only to benefit the server load but to possibly make it safer for members’ content too. IMO 2 dollar per strain is too cheap. Would be too easy to benefit the server costs by upping it to like 5. Small difference in cost but with all the people going nuts over seeds this could really support this expensive website. Sometimes an almost free for all isn’t the best option. I’m probably just an asshole but tired of seeing people who contribute less than zero to the site looking for handouts when there are people here missing out who help pay the site fees like a lot of others. There are plenty of avenues to get free seeds to people who truly need it, but having a banner of “good seeds for free” basically is gonna attract a shit load of attention. I’ve seen people even join here because they heard about our seed runs elsewhere.

I also don’t think pips or trust levels are a very good way to gauge someones activity/trust on the site. Basically what my opinion is that the people who have been here longest or those who have made the most monthly payments to the server should get priority, not how many posts of pips you have because some people are less talkative.

There are a few of you here with giant hearts but I have seen plenty of people taking advantage of kindness in my time here as well. If you can’t make everyone happy might as well keep the ones happy that have been here all along :stuck_out_tongue:

@George I like the way you think

These runs if done right could rid the site of annoying sponsors in the future. Considering a massive portion of the activity on the site lately has been all about these seed runs it only makes sense to me that they help the forum they’re being promoted on, especially if server costs still aren’t being fully covered.

11 Likes

The hell …who blew up this thread? I been reading it regular and all of a sudden 328 replies and I can’t even like any of them since I am out of likes.

Guess I quit reading for an hour …this is starting to seem like regular chores this logged in half the day. I like too many posts for that…and what of the Supporter badge? Seems to me your level 3 and a supporter should be higher on that list.

If you have run seeds for a project or donated you should be higher too.

12 Likes

for the future we might want to think about making an OG CO-OP. with a core group. i know we already talked to breeders like Bohdi about the preservation runs and gotten permission for F2 and discontinued strains, but we have a lot of personal breeders here with great stuff. if some one out there knows anything about starting and running a CO-OP, we could have our own seed bank to sell to anyone, pass the preservation runs around to the core group to make mass seeds for the bank.

just something i have been thinking about. might be to complicated. :thinking:

10 Likes

Sorry if said before.
Im assuming breeder and donator get first access to beans regardless of trust level etc???

8 Likes

Yeah and if it were up to me more than everyone else. I think the people doing the work deserve to have more for the collection or grow. Maybe a few packs at least and not just one. At least that way might entice more people to donate their rare packs in the future cause’ its only been the same few super generous people for the most part and I don’t think that’s really fair.

8 Likes

Sorry but I can’t agree… The fact that the site is free to join and publicly accessible allowed such great members to gather and create this community in the first place. That wouldn’t be possible if the content was kept in secret…

Other than this you’ve got some good points there…

17 Likes

Still would be publicly accessible and free to join. I remember reading a post awhile back about like 20 people being signed in and hundreds of people lurking. It takes 2 mins to sign up I don’t think that is limiting anyone from being a part of this place. If anything I think it would encourage people to take part instead of lurking in the shadows myself included.

Some people may not like the fact a simple google search can find a lot of things here. Not all of us are lucky enough to be legal just yet. A lot of the worse forums don’t even let people who lurk look at photos which I have to say I agree with.

2 Likes

By publicly accessible I mean that 95% of content on our site is viewable without any registration (exceptions are #sharks-tank and #private-lounge). Second side of the coin is that without being searchable by google, people wouldn’t even find way to our site. I understand your concern and that is why we are open about our policy from the start and don’t promise anyone his private or hidden area… There are already some closed invitation-only sites similar to what you are suggesting, but these are found on what I’d call opposite principles and they have very different social dynamics.

But we are off topic here in Seed Run Co-ops… (if there are any follow ups I’ll split our discussion to new topic)

11 Likes