Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics/Cost/OT Discussion Megathread

Flat is definitely easier than a conical shape. Stealth is good as well, not so necessary in Canada but where its illegal it’s going to be better. Being able to fit in an envelope with a normal stamp cuts costs further so that’s a bonus.

6 Likes

hmm this match box is actually pretty neat. S3D won’t actually generate the outer box itself, I need to play with the settings on here. I’m on a 0.6mm nozzle on a cr-10s4 myself, but the matchbox portion actually came out really strong for just being PLA and looks like it’d easily hold 3 packs(11) of seeds. The matchbox itself with PLA takes me ~10 minutes to print. Can’t imagine it being more than 30min with both.

4 Likes

This box that is govt approved that the 5 pre rolls are sold in work great for shipping thin enough for a $2.50 stamp packed in a bubble envelope any where in Canada ,fits through there slot and measurement doesn’t bump it into the small package bracket .
Holds a shit ton of seed safely .

11 Likes

That’s printed on a mothballed (hasn’t been used since march 2019) ender, I tossed in a .6 nozzle (left as .4 in software so like a super worn out nozzle) and ran a fresh cura install + default settings, ran at 120% on leftover filament that’s wet as fuck. So pretty good approximation of a typical library/makerspace/school printer. 3 of them were 22 minutes at .20 layer height. Can’t remember what cura thought - out to lunch number as always.

I realized this scenario doesn’t take into account corner ringing. It’ll assemble but it’s tight. So I’ll post a looser fitting outer case for this scenario in the next little while. Taking out clearance from .10 to .20 should cover it if my calipers are right.

16 Likes

Like this:

I just received this from @ReikoX in a small envelope.

20 Likes

Here is the thread with links.

13 Likes

Thanks you brother. I know I bookmarked it but that was last year. I’ll leave it open now until I get them, heh. They seem to work great for 10-15 seeds. Sending in an envelope is a huge savings but no tracking. But the seeds arrive just fine. My little town always tries to ding me for around $14 to send a small padded envelope when I always receive them from others paying $4. I have to make it for sure under 3/4 inch and put my own postage on it but even that info can be sketchy. If I go to the window at the PO he’s gonna make me pay, lol.

7 Likes

I noticed in the About the Seed Runs Co-op ⚠ Read before you participate thread, MOTR is still listed as the US distro, so any new members are probably still sending her their safe addys.

It should probably be updated to reflect @Sebring taking over from MOTR until she’s back in the saddle.
:guitar:

20 Likes

Fixing it. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Did add some v2 files to the thingiverse repository.

Not to take anything away from reiko’s method - it was particularly handy since it provided a washer I needed this spring :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But for a rush or a very occasional ship - maybe more convenient for some.

V2 in white. Reworking as a 2" with logo for a customer now to be printed on the SLA

13 Likes

I’ve been able to seriously push the envelope with how much I’ve been able to get away with over the years while everyone around me is dropping like flies from the heat. The key is doing nothing for money and everything for the thrill. I think the downfall of 99% of people in this world stems from greed. It’s now a rule for me–hard and fast–and if I am in a situation where I am compelled to accept money, I give it away as quickly as possible. Sitting on money is far more dangerous than sitting on weight and sitting on weight is only dangerous because its worth money. Keep that shit as far away from me as possible!

12 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m happy to say @Vertebrata is our new volunteer for co-op distribution to Latin America!

15 Likes

Hello folks!!! Glad to meet everybody here. I’m from Brazil and since we are without distribuitors to Latin America people, i’ll try to stay in charge of this assignment. I’m not a senior grower like Mad (the last LA distribuitor) or other good growers in this region that could help the distribuition, but i’m sure i want to contribute with the OG community in some way, so i decided to give a try in the distribuition task. I have the primary help from Sebring, but of course, any hints and tips from other members will be very pleasurable. If any member from LA region read this post, please let me know and let’s chat via PM.

Peace! :pray: :blush: :green_heart:

25 Likes

Hi. So I am currently doing a Zacateca’s Tribute (Big Sur Hollyweed x Oaxaca 79Skull) seed run with 2 males and 2 females. I am going to spread these seeds by a small donation to a charity (Probably Bladder Cancer and/or an Environmental Charity), Ill set it up through through some sort of donation website so I never touch the money, so is no worry about where the money goes. I plan to cover the shipping cost.

Does this count as Co-op run? The Freakers seems like something I may want to try to get into next year, but I’m not willing to sacrifice my idea of starting to charity seeds runs in my tent. Like many here, I am too wealthy in flower and want to use this plant and peoples enthusiasm for genetics for a good cause.

16 Likes

My thought is that it wouldn’t. There’s a $2 per strain donation to the OG server fund required to get Co-Op seeds. Sebring collects that when the boxes are ready, and forwards the donations to OG.

When you think about the number of people who signup for the Co-Op runs, it’s a decent chunk of money. If you bypass that piece, I’m not sure if you could call it a Co-Op run. But seeing how I wasn’t around when the Co-Op was setup, I’m gonna punt. :slight_smile:

@zephyr, what do you think man?
:guitar:

11 Likes

I would think it doesnt count. Here is the page to Co-Ops info.

9 Likes

Fair enough! Just thought I would ask. :pray:

8 Likes

@Guitarzan @TopicalWave
interesting question.

This wouldn’t work with our standard co-op shipping infrastructure.

But we built some flexibility into the rules so that people could handle shipping themselves, or delegate shipping to multiple members. For division of labor, and for people who needed additional assistance.

My volunteer roll in the co-op is answering questions, or referring people to the appropriate co-op member to talk to. Please check with @Sebring as well because this involves some of his volunteer responsibilities.

This is my understanding based on the current rules in place. First of all, everything is subject to the approval of the community as a whole. This is a true decentralized democracy.

@TopicalWave please check with the @moderators about the using the $2 per strain donation for a different charity instead of the server fund.

They have allowed all of us to create and participate in this co-op. You need to get their approval to use the charitable donation for a different charity instead of the site maintenance and server fund.

I think this charity project could be allowed as a co-op run if you handle the shipping yourself, and follow all of the existing rules for strain eligibility and sign up process.

For the charity donation, I think it would be ok if you are not requiring a donation higher than the cost shipping plus the standard 2$ per strain donation. people can donate more if they want, but 2$ is the baseline donation in our rules to keep it inclusive.

It would need to be paid directly to the charity like you said. otherwise there would be the possibility of people abusing this charitable donation option in the future.

This needs to be open and accessible to people from all countries and territories.

There are 2 options for the cost of shipping. you could volunteer to pay for shipping and materials yourself. If you need to be reimbursed for shipping, that will be handled through our existing donation infrastructure. People would donate to sebring, sebring would reimburse you for the cost of shipping. You need to have documented receipts for packaging and shipping expenses to be reimbursed.

Read about sebrings role in our shipping process, and his role in international shipping. If you will need his help with any of those steps, that will need to be worked out between the two of you because this isn’t following the usual methods of reimbursing him for the postage and materials, and you’ll need to ask him about anything that would result in additional work for him.

I would suggest posting this question in the co-op logistics thread, and see what the community thinks.

If the community and @Sebring (who is in charge of donation and reimbursement) is ok with this, and you get approval from the mods, I think you could proceed as a co-op project if you follow these rules.

And of course, if people are not interested in using the co-op this way, no worries. This is a true democracy, so it is fine either way.

10 Likes

Yes, of course, no worries either way. I am not looking to rock the boat and what the Freakers/Co-op do is awesome.

I have come to a realization recently that what truly makes me happy is helping people. I think as I have been helping my father through his battle with bladder cancer for the last two years, my empathetic side blossomed. It is why I stopped land surveying and am going back to school for social work. I don’t have much money myself, so I tend to donate my time and energy to my community now. I just recently joined the community and seeing the generosity of people here, I hoped to raise a little money with my modest pollen chucking. This seemed like the right platform to try it on. Right now it is just an idea that hasn’t fully coalesced yet, and I maybe should have approached a Mod before I said anything. I still have to make sure I end up with viable seed before I proceed with this… it is just an idea right now. I am more interested in raising money for a few charities than I being eligible for Freakers/Co-op membership, so truly no worries either way.

I was planning to cover shipping costs myself, unless it gets too taxing. I was also planning to use some sort of charity website of some sort and set it up so I don’t actually touch the money and people can see a running tally of the amount of money raised. Again something I would need to look into. I’m happy to work with the Co-op to be eligible, but if the community doesn’t approve of it or it is too complicated for what I am thinking, I am happy to go my own way and try to do this myself.

@moderators , @Sebring What do you think?

15 Likes

@TopicalWave when this goes through, I will be the first to sign up and donate. I can also help cover some of the cost to send them out, if that’s ok with you.

Wish you the best with this bro. Very honourable of you 🥲

11 Likes