Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics/Cost/OT Discussion Megathread

Would it be helpful once we received the seed run seeds if some of us S1’ed them? They would still retain the same genetics and still be F1,F2, etc. Is that correct?

1 Like

Suggestion: Anyone who has done a seed run to completion is automatically included in the following n mailings, gratis.

Solve for n.

4 Likes

This.

Another added benefit of numerical signup is that everyone can see how large the list is getting, immediately, rather than only thinking of getting the correct alphabetic placement.

Conscientious members who see the list getting large may choose to not sign up, if the seed variety isn’t something they need (rather than want or mere curiosity).

Growers on a seed run, while shucking seed, may estimate their final amount and cut off the list when it is too close to their limit.

4 Likes

Cost of packaging

• cost of shipping to distributors
    / price of 6 monthly seed box
    = n
4 Likes

Seems low. Think this might be a way to reward effort and mindset.

Downside of numeric addition is that scanning to see if you are listed becomes tiresome.

2 Likes

Command F works well for me. IDK.

1 Like

Me too… Well “Find in page” but same idea. Sadly it ain’t true for everyone. Stoners all around us!

1 Like

If it’s easier to remember we can give you number 420😉

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of a mad rush sigh up at the end either and I agree with @TheShowMeHomie suggestion to sign on at the bottom of the list to avoid accidental Erasure.

Of topic but it can’t be said enough how thankful I am for all you OGers do! You all have totally changed the way I grow. I used to run a lot of clones and hold my seeds very close. I now grow mainly from seed and give a lot of seed away so others can experience them.

14 Likes

I personally haven’t had an issue but I’ve seen people on just about everyone say they got erased and that’s gotta be aggravating especially if you don’t realize until there gone…the number system also would come into play in the event of a shortage and at that point it shouldn’t devolve into an argument with a bunch of butt hurt people hard to argue with first come first serve though I’m sure their is a valid argument or 12 …but that’s why this was split off so we can work it out right?

5 Likes

Hi All, from what I’ve read with my lazy on vacation brain so far. I think a last minute sign up would suck for the reasons already mentioned.

I absolutely agree that breeding the strain is valuable to the breeder in many ways and the contribution is the labor and growing materials, but packaging and shipping of any sort should be reimbursed by the end members. Meaning I think any part of shipping and handling should be covered by the PayPal donations. There should be zero profit, but not costing anyone much more than their labor. Nutrients and soil or whatever are also donated by breeder as it’s offset by the other rewards already discussed above.

If people can’t edit a wikipost and alphabetize their name without deleting other names by 5 pips they are beyond help :rofl: this has been a recent thing since we got the influx of free seekers as far as I can tell. I don’t remember this problem in the past. I think we should leave it. We shouldn’t have to fkn babysit.

Sure @MomOnTheRun I could audit the costs vs. Donations per strain for you guys twice a year. If you all decide on that we can go into what I’ll need from y’all to do that and streamline it.

10 Likes

I am not privy to the mechanics behind Wiki edits but if collisions are not resolved it is possible that names are deleted when
Member1 opens the post
Member2 opens the same post
Member2 adds their name
Member2 closes their copy
Member1 adds their name to stale original
Member1 closes the Wiki thus replacing the version edited by Member2 with the stale but newer copy.

5 Likes

I forgot, I do have a question. I’m sure you have a good reason, but why do you need to rerun the same strain every other year. Isn’t the point of preserving the strain basically fulfilled once you distribute to like 100 people? That run creates exponential numbers of that plant. I realize not all people are gonna make seeds but still, even if 1 out of 100 do that’s at least another 1000 seeds etc… etc…

Edit: another thought is you could just close the sign up after a certain length of time has passed as well, like 30 days or something. That might work. Just throwing stuff out here.

5 Likes

I wanted simple metric that could “emulate” old karma. I found that Likes work pretty well. So there is formula that translates Likes Received into Karma “pips”. It will need to be adjusted, because there are pretty inflated numbers already :slight_smile:

Maybe you could think about using trust levels based badges for your purpose, because they reflect much more broader evaluation (frequency of visits, likes given, time spent reading, diversity of topics visited, etc … see Explaining trust levels). You can get many Karma pips (Likes) by just starting single topic (your grow journal). But higher trust level means that you are really following what is happening on the site and and aware of / participated in other topics also.

Once you reach some trust level, appropriate badge is awarded to you. It is good to bear in mind, that you can lose trust level 3 / Regular member permissions (with access to Private lounge) if you cease to comply with criteria again. But Regular badge will stay in your profile.

17 Likes

I can’t wait to hit regular status I heard they have vip bong service in the private lounge :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

12 Likes

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.

Exactly my thinking. Regular status makes most sense to me and we could easily enforce it by having seed runs in the private area. The Karma pips can easily be generated without producing worthwhile content, in the worst case by making two accounts and liking yourself. Regular status requires actual commitment.

Interesting. I’m not sure if that is good or bad for our cause. Requirement to stay active sounds like a good thing, but could be a disadvantage for users busy with life, going through hard times etc. OG can’t always be the most important thing for everybody.

Might be worth discussing if reaching it once is enough or the status has to be kept up to take part in seed runs.

12 Likes

I’ll need more than the equivalent of $5 dollars for postage, it’s still classed as international mail when i ship to members in Spain ,Portugal ,Germany Sweden etc …
But I’ll see how this works when it’s implemented.:+1:.
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

13 Likes

That is a great idea

2 Likes

That could make it easier to manage situations where there’s more entrants than packs of seeds too.

2 Likes