Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics/Cost/OT Discussion Megathread

Here in Spain it is allowed to buy seeds (not to grow them :astonished:) so I shouldnā€™t have any problem about receiving or sending them. I can be a gateway for the EU (once Brexit concluded). That would be an easy way for me to give back to the community, as I can hardly distinguish a male from a female and wouldnā€™t know how to put them together to work ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Prima facie it made sense when I was setting up forum boards, but it is not something set in stoneā€¦ We can do poll in Private lounge about this policyā€¦

10 Likes

Just a suggestion. As a personal user I could not grow more than maybe 4 strains to cured in a year and doing good to get that.

Some seeds I could not do justice to a search of and passed on to others.

Should hope to grow the number of strains available at each distribution enough to have to choose which we want.

2 Likes

Wow, this thread makes my head spin, but I appreciate all of the others with the drive to make it happen. Iā€™m on such a limited income atm that itā€™s easy for me to make decisions, lol. Iā€™m good with whatever comes out of it and will roll with it. At the very least I want to do a seed run soon. I can do that part, once I get a few more things tweaked. peace and thanks!

8 Likes

For me, its just easier and faster though I suppose I could start using the sort function ā€¦keep forgetting that is a possibility

Thatā€™s how we try to do it so its a for sure thing

The 5.00 per seed pack should allow more flexibility which is why I noted not more than 10.00 for postage though I dunno: 5 USD = 3.91 GDP = 6.61CAD = 7.28 AUD etcā€¦Currency conversions suck as some areaā€™s pay more than others. I still like the per box we have been doing. How aboutā€¦

Postage per box + amount for server fundā€¦packaging donations like Meesh did with MongoBongo or I do with some to help save on postage.

This way the change is minimal and still giving back to the forum as well as, giving packaging help as needed

@Gaz29 would this help?

Right? There is a lot to considerā€¦it was easier when we were getting started having 30-40 people on the lists though having doubled that in a year and growing this discussion is importantā€¦not everyone is going to be happy with whatever final changes we make though change is necessary to keep this moving forward

14 Likes

I think the solution for sign ups may be to simply have multiple lists, one for each trust level within the co-op structure. Each list has no limit for the number of members, and no cut off date.
When it comes time for distribution, high tiers are prioritized first.

If we have a project that runs short, and there arenā€™t enough seeds for new and lower trust level members, we can either distribute alternate seedstock to those that are truly in need, or prioritize the lowest tiers first for the distribution of the refresh seed run.

edit- if the breeder still has female cuttings and pollen to continue making f2ā€™s, lower tiers will be prioritized for a second round seed run to complete the project.

8 Likes

Awesome! I believe it will be needed for currency conversions as well as, helping to oversee the financial aspect of it so no one makes a profit like now I am sitting on much more than I am comfortable with as some have prepaid for future boxes though will all be used in the long run I suppose. If we do it this way, youā€™ll need a breakdown of postage costs per distributor and come up with a number that is not only fair but around the same per member whether its per box or per strainā€¦I think with packaging donations we do not need to include it in the feeā€™s collected but will need to include something towards reimbursing breeders for shipping to distributors for the October mail outs and the server especially if we have our own subforum though should be doing it anyway.

My personal thought process behind this is I am repeatedly getting asked for a strain that has closed for awhile with no extra packs to issue and though ~100 of each is initially disbursed many sit on them - the ones that donā€™t arenā€™t into breeding them or pass them onto someone else and the ones that do are very few ā€¦if it keeps going this way then is that strain really preserved?

More work though can be done

8 Likes

Would it be helpful once we received the seed run seeds if some of us S1ā€™ed them? They would still retain the same genetics and still be F1,F2, etc. Is that correct?

3 Likes

So weā€™re not preserving anything, weā€™re just delaying their extinction?
Damn, thatā€™s deep. :cry:

8 Likes

I am sure it would though many shy away from selfing wanting to have more flexibility

My understanding is that they are not identical to the mom though would have all of her genes as well as, the different expressions the seeds would show though probably wrong on this

Pretty much unless we periodically rerun them so they can land in more hands in the long run

6 Likes

I definetly think these discussions will benefit the preservations runs and hopefully lead to more being done in the future. I know its costing me right about $100 dollars to send the beans I just made out and thatā€™s only shipping to 3 distributors. One of the distributors is receiving over 60 packs to mail out. I cant imiagin the postage on that. Glad to see everybody pulling together to figure out how to get more done. I like the idea of limiting sighn ups to members who are regular contributors to the community.

14 Likes

So without doing an expense sheet and just in my head from the costs put forward above I would suggest 20 dollars per box plus 1 dollar per strain in the box will cover every packaging and mailing cost from the breeder to the end users and any excess can go to the server fund.

7 Likes

The cheapest you will ever really find a pack is 20 bucks and those seem rare these days so I personally have no issue with them being that much

2 Likes

So whatā€™s going on here?..another server fund seed deal!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is on one of the above versionsā€¦20.00 per box x 2 mail outs a year = 40.00 for whatever strains are signed up for in those 2 blocks of time and the less confusing in the long run though still like the bi yearly audits done anyway just for a bit more oversight

Discussing on changing some of the logistics for the preservation runs as we continue to growā€¦almost tripling in the last year :wink:

Edited to add: iā€™ll make another update on potential changes a bit later tonight as this discussion continues for or against ideas

4 Likes

Yeah but the 20 per box doesnt seem to quite cover all the expenses. If there is any shortfall at all the project just wonā€™t be sustainable.

5 Likes

True hence moving to Meeshā€™s idea of per strain as some want only 1 or 2 while others want all of them - should be scalable due to this alone but what is fair with all the different currencies? That is what I am having a hard time with

4 Likes

For currency conversions having a Paypal account is useful as it gives you real-time conversion, thereā€™s a small fee but for sending money between countries its very practical ā€¦ :sunglasses:

6 Likes

To get an average of all distributor postage expenses will keep it covered. And if we count on having a small excess then any shortfalls can be accounted for before sending the balance to Joe.

For the cost to punters just use one currency (USD).

4 Likes

Sounds the most fair of allā€¦ my average is 5.00 per boxā€¦@Gaz29, @Shadey, @Johnnybsmokin, @MikeM @MadScientist - whats your average in your currency

4 Likes