šŸŒ± Germination Laboratory @ MadScientist šŸŒ±

Seems like they already got it figured out, iā€™m not going to intervene. The fella from my team, will be doing pots and my BIL will do it on the ground at his backyard. Good experiment for me too. See how climate and all the other variables come into play. The seeds are exactly the same, dunno about phenos but they have to deal with it not me. LOL. Iā€™ll come back once harvest time is nearā€¦

3 Likes

Outstanding.

Looks like youā€™ve got it well covered.

Should be very interesting, your sun should be a great boon for mostly sativa plants!

2 Likes

I found an extra 3 beans in the buds, but thatā€™s it! I ran out of buds. LOL. Originally i was gonna send 6 each, but since i found an extra 3 then itā€™s better to do 3 - 5 packs

If you still want them @lotus710 send me your address ASAP, they are going out tomorrow!

4 Likes

Packed and ready to go! @ryasco & @shroomgod

@lotus710 donā€™t be paranoid bro! Iā€™m not a cop! HAHAHA!

2 Likes

love how you read my paranoia over the internetXD dude im paranoid about everything. my roomate having people over freaks me out.

2 Likes

I soaked the seeds in Rhizotonic with water (5ml per half gallon) and when they sunk they were put in 1" inch rockwool plugs.

Im mad paranoid without my tobacco.

1 Like

So guys, am sorry the post office was packed today. WIll try first thing, see if i can get one of the first spots in the line tomorrow morning. Itā€™s coming!

1 Like

Well it might be too early to say, but it was my fault, i didn;t measure pH after adding Rhizotonic to the water for the germ process and it shoot over 7ā€¦ Seeds are dead, i think. One more reason to practice germination before spoling the good seeds i got comingā€¦ Gonna try papel towels before the 1 inch plugs, usually thatā€™s how i did it anyway. Damn!

That would be unusual if you ā€œkilledā€ them. Be patient and remember if the seeds are old it could take two weeks before they sprout.

1 Like

Not only old, also weakā€¦ I deeply regret that, because itā€™s the same seeds iā€™m sending to you guys, i wanted them all to sprout. You know, they are going out today, will be there in about 3 weeks, remember iā€™m in CR. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Yeah you shouldnt of killed them. Prolly just taking a long time. You should try the old fasioned way of putting the seed. Into the soil. I know it sounds crazy. But its the most natural way! :joy:

4 Likes

I love american sarcasm, unlike other people you guys got that mastered!!! LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it beginsā€¦ 1 out of 7 in three nights, ppl says i should wait longer, but if the other ones donā€™t have enough strengh then whatā€™s the point? We ought to be like in Sparta! LOL

Iā€™m placing more in papel towels right now!

3 Likes

You wait because old beans take a longer time to germ. Not because they are weak.

3 Likes

Alright, gonna listen to you @lotus710. As usual.

2 Likes

I like to scuff (scarify) older (or seeds of dubious viability) seeds before I attempt germinating them.
I do this by putting the seeds in a small container with some emery cloth. Close the container and shake it in order to scuff up the seeds.

I agree with @lotus710 regarding placing seeds directly in the grow medium.

Here is an excellent excerpt from Mandala seeds website regarding germinating cannabis seeds:

For an optimal germination result the seeds should be planted DIRECTLY into the substrate. We clearly advise against using pre-germination methods or soaking. Please do not place the seeds into a glass of water or in moist paper tissues.

This does not mean that pre-soaking should never be used with seeds from other sources, or that we criticize growers who prefer this method. We are aware that some breeders recommend it for their products. But to prevent complications and achieve the consistent level of high germination rates that you should be getting from your Mandala seeds please trust our advice and follow our guidelines.

Please take note that customers who soak their Mandala seeds in water or wet paper tissue do so at their own risk. We are not accountable for any failure in germination or complications caused by this method.

Fresh and healthy seeds prefer a nurturing and airy substrate to germinate in ā€“ just as mother nature has meant it to be. Cannabis is a plant species originating from semi-arid and temperate biotopes and the vast majority of modern cannabis hybrids contain a substantial percentage of these genetics. Cannabis seeds are not adapted to swampy wetlands, but they are suited for germinating in well drained soil/substrate. In nature they rot if they fall into a puddle of waterā€¦and there are no paper tissues lying around either. Taking into account these botanical facts, it is quite logical that by creating germination conditions that are similar to those of the natural habitat you can expect the best results.

What happens if one uses pre-germination methods?

Soaking seeds in water/wet paper towels is a method which can be used for old seeds (3+ years) that are drying up and losing germination power; and for pure land race equatorial strains such as from Africa. Both factors do not apply to our seeds. Fresh seeds have a healthy embryo whose cells are filled with water. But excess water causes the cells to bloat, depletes oxygen and leads to the tissue rotting away before the seed embryo can germinate. Old seeds have lost water in the cell tissue, the embryo starts to shrivel, which is why germination rates drop the older the seeds are. Therefore, old seeds (ie. 3+ years) can soak up more water before adverse conditions cause them to rot. This is one of the main reasons why various seed stock reacts differently to pre-germination methods. Some growers make the mistake of soaking our seeds in water for up to 1-2 days because it may have worked in the past with other seeds. This does not mean, however, that this method can be used for all seeds. In fact, old stock or equatorial cannabis seeds should only be soaked in water for a few hours at the most. Always consult the web site of a seed bank for specific advice and instructions on how to germinate their seeds.

It is in a growers best interest to choose a germination method with the lowest risk of complications. Because we want customers to have the highest success rate possible we recommend the most convenient and safest method. This does not mean it is the only option. We simply believe it carries the lowest risk for germinating fresh seeds. Planting seeds directly in the substrate is also the most plant friendly method for any type of seed stock. The reasons are explained below in paragraph 2 & 3.

Placing healthy & fresh seeds in water/wet tissue can lead to the development of fungi or bacteria on the seed hull. Lack of oxygen and contaminating substances in the water/wet tissue promote fungal growth which can be transported to the substrate later on. Often the seed simply rots away if left for too long in a glass of water, or wrapped up in wet tissue.

Once the seed sprouts in a glass of water or paper tissue it already has the taproot growing out of the cracked seed hull. While transplanting the germinated seed it is very difficult, indeed impossible, to prevent damage to the delicate taproot. Many sprouted seedlings handled in this way show retarded development, or even simply fail to appear out of the substrate after transplantation. Handling seedlings this way can impair the health & vigour of the plant for the duration of itā€™s life cycle - especially if other disturbing factors occur during the early stages of growth.

Professional horticulturists rarely use pre-germination methods to actually grow out the seedlings because of the shock suffered from transplanting them. For example, we use the paper tissue method only as a quick test for germination rates of aged seed stock from our genetic repository. This allows us to see beforehand how many seeds we have to put in soil to get the amount of plants we require for breeding projects.

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

8 Likes

WOW! That was extensive and illustrative, thanks @Calyxander . This seeds iā€™m using are pure brick weed and iā€™m told it is from Colombia, something they call ā€œPunto Creepyā€, Colombia is pretty close to the equator, iā€™m ten degrees north of; but i did soak them first for like 6 hours and then onto the plugs. These seeds are not all viable, not by a longshotā€¦

@shroomgod and @ryasco, Iā€™m sorry but iā€™m not sending these to you. Iā€™m gonna pick better seeds from the batch iā€™m picking up tonight, gonna look at them real good and with a magnifying glass, and not only that, i wonā€™t send you 5 seeds each but at least 20 of them, so your chances of success are higher, please bare with me, until Monday next week and Iā€™ll get those sent. Promise.

This is the weed Iā€™m telling you, itā€™s potent but you canā€™t see any tā€™s on itā€¦

1 Like

This kind of weed must be mass produced.

1 Like

You got a good germination rate,im lucky i picked out a female plant today!

2 Likes