Seedmaking question

First time intentionally making seeds. I’ve got a bunch of pollinated females that are about 4weeks into flower. Nervous about putting them back in with my sensi flower room even after a good spray down.
Is it possible to put them back in my veg 18/6 room and have them finish the seeds they are working on? Anyone have experience or advice?
Much love y’all🤙🏽

2 Likes

i tried something similar a while back, put the plant back in veg and picked the seed off when they were hard and brown but so far, the seed i have tried do not pop so im not sure if anyone one else has tried this but would also be interested in hearing more as well

2 Likes

Very interesting🤔 Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@NorthNorthNugs, this seems like an excellent question for you. :slight_smile: He’s spoken about that technique, it definitely works - though I suspect you might need to time it right, I don’t know the details as well as he does.

3 Likes

I was curious about the same thing but needed the seeds so I did not try it. Ended only getting five seeds, darn. If you give the plant a good misting so the water is dripping off all of the plant you should not have an issue with the pollen.

1 Like

That is an awesome question!

1 Like

As I’ve understood it, once the plant is impregnated you will have better seeds if the plant is 18/6 lights on because you will develop new root tips which will feed the seeds. New root tips don’t grow in late flower. Several breeders have spoken about this including Rasta Jeff (irie genetics) on his grow from your heart podcast.

3 Likes

Honestly don’t worry, just give them a good spray down with water 24-48hrs after pollination and you’ll be golden.

Also if the pollen took they will continue to develop seeds regardless of light time though your plant will reveg if you go 18/6 so it will be a pain later on to deseed, I’d just run them out after a spray down.

6 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Cormoran … I’ll do my best haha.

I brought this up in my Gogi Preservation Thread. If you click on my avatar you will see the thread featured in my profile if you feel like you want to give it a read.

Basically, yes you can absolutely do this. I am actually doing in right now. I put 2 plants under 12/12 lighting and on day 24 of that cycle when the pistils were nice and fat I pollinated the plants. The next day I pollinated again and flipped the lights back to 18/6. That was 2 weeks ago now and honestly the plants have responded really well. I am going to start a thread about it eventually because I’m making seeds to give out to ppl on here that are interested.

The plants beefed up fast and are completely swollen with seeds. No signs of reveg yet but I suspect I’ll start seeing that within the next week or so.

There are a few breeders who talk about this with good success including Rasta Jeff of Irie Genetics and Colin from Ethos Genetics. You can listen to this interview here where he talks about it briefly: https://youtu.be/7O9J6WVAWCs?t=2739

It is however, as it would seem, a bit of a controversial technique around here. As you will read in my thread there are concerns about the unnatural light cycle stressing out the seed producing plants and having a negative affect on the epigenetics of the progeny. I personally do not believe that having a longer light cycle during flowering would stress a plant out enough to have this affect. Even if it did, I don’t think ONE cycle is enough to have an impact on the epigenetics. It is my belief that you would have to breed out progeny after progeny after progeny before you would notice any impact. Think in evolutionary terms… It would take a while.

This is just my opinion though after doing some reading but take what I say with a grain of salt. My plants I have going in my veg tent seem to be doing great! I think the plants will most like finish up in the next 2 weeks or so instead of 4-6 weeks!

7 Likes

Btw, just for the record, I really am interested in seeing how this works and I’d definitely follow a thread where you post your results and then people report their results growing out the seeds; I only thought it might not be the best approach for a preservation run, specifically since preservation runs are to preserve the genetics. :slight_smile: It’s probably nitpicky to worry about, you’re right, but I’m a purist about things like that. I’m not even sure if culling herms is the best approach for preservations, though it might be excellent breeding technique for developing strains to grow.

5 Likes

Have you tried curing the seed. Usually after about 6 weeks or so germination goes up.
Or maybe the seed shell has gone tough due to veg nutrients, try cracking afew

2 Likes

its been passed the 6 weeks but yeah i was thinking the same

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it either way. If you’ve sprayed them with water and they were pollinated 4 weeks ago I would personally not think twice about putting them in with sensi.

That said if I’m lazy I’ll branch pollinate directly in my flowering tent… which I can tell you does produce the occasional seed where you don’t want it.

5 Likes

No worries bud. I totally understand and respect where you are coming from. That is why I felt the need to apologize. Experimenting with new techniques is not the best approach when preserving seeds for a community of people.

3 Likes

Really appreciate all the feedback and concerns raised.
Thank you all very much!!

2 Likes

After all, we are expecting seeds now. :laughing:

2 Likes

Would you recommend curing 6 weeks at 50% RH?

Yeah, 100% agreed with @lefthandseeds. So much time has passed, and the extra precaution of spraying them down, you shouldn’t have any cross-pollination issues. Just be sure to use a lot of pressure to get that sprayed water into every nook and cranny.

5 Likes

I let fresh beans cure behind the T.V. in paper bags for at least a month before I put them in the fridge or send them out. Six weeks is even better. After a couple weeks I fold up the bag for the rest of the cure.

4 Likes

Good idea behind the fridge, no chance of accidentally spilling them. I have dust bunnies that have spawned generations back there.

3 Likes