Seeds from Male plants or fertilized females?

I have recently become very interested in strain preservation and breeding. My goal is to collect strains from breeders I respect and eventually open pollinate each strain to preserve a larger sample of the population. My question is, when doing an open pollination of multiple male and females in the same room (same strain), do you collect seeds from the fertilized female plants or the males? Is there a difference in the seeds? If I grew out only males and flowered them, would they produce seeds and would they be worth anything? Thank you in advance

1 Like

Just like humans, it takes a male and a female to make seeds. The male pollinates the female and then dies. The female nurtures the seed until harvest.

4 Likes

Thank you for the quick response. So the pictures of male plants covered in seeds is just pollen or useless seeds?

3 Likes

Pollen sacks not seeds :+1:

4 Likes

I think you are confusing the immature male flowers with seeds. I suggest you pick up Marijuana Botany by Rob C. Clarke and learn more about the plant before breeding.

11 Likes

I thought so but was curious to confirm. I have that and will be reading it after I re-read Ed Rosenthals and Jorge Cervantes books. I have only grown outdoor and will be setting up my first indoor grow. Will be running plenty of clones first before doing any breeding just starting the info gathering process

1 Like

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Between OG and those books mentioned, you’ll be an expert in no time.

3 Likes

Blue moon rocks male with pollen sacs

1 Like