Seeds Runs - sharing tips for success

10 Likes

Thanks @LemonadeJoe!
We were posting seed-related stuff to the “Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics Megathread” and it seemed like a worthwhile topic but in the wrong place.

Thanks for adding these other related posts and approving the thread :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sure, we can have dedicated topic…

8 Likes

To tell the truth, I would really like to see how @slain manufactures its seeds with videos and / or photos, I certainly intend to copy somehow. :+1: :pray:

7 Likes

Give me a few weeks and I’ll be happy to do this… I am moving house in about a week so I’ll be pulling out ALL of my growing gear :frowning: and setting it up again anyway. Eeeeek. . Honestly it’s nothign at all complicated and it’s so cheap and easy to get set up and working that anyone on OG could do it…

6 Likes

This too:

4 Likes

I have a few questions for the breeders out there…I know we have many talented folks who make loads of seeds, but I’m just looking for some direction.
Anyone else who wants to chime in, please do…these are just the names that come to mind while my brain is mush on kush…lol
@50State @AllOra @Sebring @Mr.Sparkle @Hashtree @slain @lefthandseeds @SCJedi @Senor_frijoles @ @ @ @ @
My fems that are designated solely as seed producing plants are on day 40 (12/12 from seed) and started throwing hairs about 12 days ago. I’ve read that this is when I want to dust pollen to create seeds. Do I need to re-apply pollen in another week once more bud and hairs (potential seed sites) grow in? I want to get as many seeds as possible and dont want to botch this. Should I be doing multiple applications as flower goes on or single application early in flower will give the desired outcome (as many seeds as possible). As for seed harvest, I’m just going to let nature take its course and let the plant go as long as it needs…no problem there.

Any tips or tricks to increase seed harvest is welcomed and appreciated!!!

Also…

Has this method been proven??!

5 Likes

To be honest I am not much of a duster. When I am doing any kind of selection I typically clone the select males and let them go to town. I typically put them in 2 weeks after flipping the females.

I allow plants to ripen on a normal schedule but I am sure that different cultivars like different things. The only thing I do differently than a flower run is let them flower until seeds look like they are falling off the plants (and sometimes they do)

9 Likes

This is my first time making seed. I will have this thread bookmarked… cant wait to learn what everyone with more expierence than me has to share

4 Likes

Honored and amused to find myself on such an illustrious list.

These two JS F3 are pregnant.
The Blue has been in the Flower tent under low priority light. I anticipate 50 - 100 seeds from her.
The Green has been in the Veg room also under low priority light. She doesn’t flaunt her seeds the same way. Probably similar yeild.
No indication of reveg. It wouldn’t make sense to waste the energy. The life purpose has already been achieved.

Questions for those who actually belong on that list:
Do pregnant plants reveg as easily as similar females? I am running an experiment now with a pregnant JS that reveges at the drop of a hat (well, chop of a head anyway). Been a few weeks and she hasn’t started with the weirdness.
If so, what is the effect on the seeds?
More
Do pregnant plants herm? Anyone? I am VERY curious about this.

6 Likes

@Tappy any photos of said plant, yes you can reapply if you want but also will have seeds finishing at different stages or at all as once the plant starts working on seeds throwing out more calyxs is just secondary.

Best is to have the plant just packed with good green/white viable pistils and do a mass dusting then and if desired follow up again the next day or two and call its done.

@AllOra and yes preg plants will reveg they are a little harder jsut cause of thje seed focus, but if you have enough leaf/bud mass they will

4 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle
These pics are almost 4 days old…bud/seed sites are a bit bigger with more hairs now.

They’re currently sleeping, but can get updated pics in 4 hours.

Only the 2 fabric pots in this last photo are flowering…the solo is much younger.

3 Likes

My limited experience says wait. I did my purple kush a few times over a week and a bit. And she got hit when the budsites were and clustered with pistils. Ya know like when they get to that point of being a nickle to quarter around and all pistils.

3 Likes

It would have been about this point that I pollenated. I got 140 from 2 smaller branches. After letting it go until they were dropping I may have tossed 10 immature seeds

11 Likes

Perfect!!! Exactly what I was looking for! :ok_hand:
There are lots of “guides” online, but I trust experience over some random asshole writing an online article.
Many thanks!! Gonna hold off until they mature a bit more.

4 Likes

yeah even at 4 days ago, id be waiting at least another week from now

4 Likes

Im learning lots from this thread already! Hopefully ill have something to contribute at some point but for now ill just be a lurker hehehehehe

4 Likes

Well I’ve done it a couple different ways.

If you have a long flowering plant, like 12+ weeks, you usually don’t have much to worry about. There’s a large window where you can pollinate and they’ll still mature.

If you have a very short flowering plant, like 7 weeks, then you’re gonna want to pollinate as soon as you see it drop… or possibly go into a longer light cycle and then back to 12/12.

I’ve noticed that seeds don’t like to mature after the plant is ready for harvest. You might be able to get them a little more mature by going an extra week, but I’m not sure you really get too many more brown seeds that way.

If you are making a hybrid of two strains, start the male strain a week or two earlier in flower if it’s longer flowering than the female. Otherwise, you can start them at the same time.

Often times, I keep pollen in a dry box. It’s just a plastic tub with a gasket seal. You can find them at Target or probably online. Put a closet dehumidifier in it, and put it in a cool, dark place. You can keep pollen good for at least 2 grows this way, as long as you keep the humidity low (<20%). It’s a $30 investment that will make you life much easier.

16 Likes

So what im taking from that is autos want to be hit with pollen as soon as they show hairs?

1 Like

Hit em w pollen at like wk 4 for most seeds
Even later if its a longer flowering strain

3 Likes