Semi Auto and is it a thing? šŸ¤”

Very nice write up, plus Punnetts! Thanks

2 Likes

Sheesh! ā€¦so Iā€™d have to figure out which male and female out of the brood are autos, isolate them and then bam I got my auto strain, right?..okay so say I was doing the ā€œPoEā€ right? Iā€™m thinking if I leave the light schedule on veg-time the autos will reveal themselves despite the the lights being in veg-time, right? Wait. Did I just solve my own shit?!..Iā€™m confused.

3 Likes

I would not say inaccurate, more just terminology. Fast finisher I would say is more accurate than semi auto. @AzSeaindooin420 gave a great explanation.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know about breeding, but the few fast photos Iā€™ve grown were unimpressive.

2 Likes

Well that doesnā€™t sound promising

If your running lights anything north of 16hours a day and it starts to flower after a month itā€™s def an auto

4 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m getting the picture now, the more I wrap my brain around it the less difficult it seemsā€¦Iā€™m going to try this. Iā€™m a sucker for challenges.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why people stress the importance of if your gonna work a line to fully work it, fast finishing is tricky cuz ur looking for the ones that initiate bud development and finish faster than the rest while also looking for the dominate parent in the batch that shows the better traits your after, autos are def tricky for sure, breeding auto to auto is a lot easier to not have to hunt down the trait but the quality and potency usually starts with a gnarly potent photoperiod grandparent

1 Like

Ya sorry I had to keep editing as I go so I didnā€™t lose any of the work and to know which pics I was posting so itā€™s def all updated now in case you guys missed anything

1 Like

Hmā€¦so in a way, doing this Iā€™d have to keep an eye out for the ā€œfast startersā€ right?..i mean depending on perspective. I would want to isolate the ones that revealed themselves the earliest.

Not starter from seed but when they flip to flower by changing light schedule they will typically form bud sites faster in those first few weeks

So if a strain is normally a 12 week flower cycle it could shave it down to 9 week for example

1 Like

Iā€™ve always been under the understanding semi auto refers to highly.photo sensitive strains, that will flip when on anything less than 18-20h light?

1 Like

Thatā€™s more of a regional thing, for example closer to the equator with seeds from that region might be able to grow starting in 11/13 light/dark and gradually work towards 13/11 gaining a minute a day

In some cases it could also be different spectrums of light, had 2 plants last year I moved to a different grow area with a different spectrum of light color under 24h of light and it started to flower and went back to reveg just having em under different light units quantum---->blurple

1 Like

Caution:

Sharp learning curve aheadā€¦
:+1: :laughing:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

All F1s should have 1 copy of the auto gene. So you can just pick whatever plants you like best. Fastest finishing might make for faster autos, but the %s wont change. F2s you just have to do as you said, and let them veg until the autos show themselves. The F2s are harder, especially if you have males too. 25% will be autos, so 1 in 4, but that means only 1 in 8 will be an auto female. I ran enough to find 4 females and 3 males when I did it. F2 is the harder part imo.

2 Likes

AZsea pretty much answered your question, so Iā€™ll just leave this link here.

This is also my understanding. Semi auto is a misnomerā€¦ thereā€™s no auto genes in semi autos.
Donā€™t start throwing chairs just yet OG. Now with the everything x everything trend, there are semi autos fast versions to further confuse growersā€¦

Proper semi autos are just plants or lines selected to flower under longer hours, usually anytime after the summer solstice and they flip real fast, skipping the weeks of transition.

They have their purposeā€¦ but can be a pita to keep a mom from. I always plant 25% semi autos, they can save you from a crappy outdoor season.

3 Likes

I think it is a spectrum. auto-fast finishing- slow finishing.

I havenā€™t read every post but the simplest answer is the one involving mendelian genetics. An auto cross and a photo cross will result in plants that are (1/2auto) photo. The auto half is unexpressed. Now if you take those plant and run an f2 then THIS generation will be 25% auto. You donā€™t need to cull from the F1 generation to get auto plants in the f2 generation.

.5x.5= .25 or 25% auto.

The reason autos are not expressed even though it is 50% of the genetics in the F1 generation is because the auto trait is recessive, therefore to express itself, it must be on both alleles in the F2. 1/4 of F2 will be 100% auto.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Hope that helps.
Oh, @Hashton_Kusha, I sent an email to the Greenspace ppl about seed NFTs and they responded saying ā€œthey would take my ideaā€. Not sure what that means but seems positive :grin:. (Like specifically geared toward seed batch numbers and lot etc.)

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like