Sending fresh cut clones unrooted in a dry plastic bag?

At 15:00 they talk about sending clones in a dry plastic bag with a minimal amount of air like it’s no problem at all. Has anyone here done this before?

8 Likes

I watch a lot of videos from this channel

1 Like

I wrap a moist paper towel around the stem, but yeah, it’s done that way.

Cooler temperatures are your friend.

6 Likes

Thats kinda how we do in the planted freshwater aquarium trade. cut, wrap the cut stem portion in moist paper towel and stick in a ziplock and send it. May need heat/cold packs depending on the weather but otherwise should show up and root just fine if it arrives within a week.

5 Likes

Yup. Drier is better than wetter. Anytime I’ve ever received a “melted” plant, cannabis or aquatic, it’s because it was too wet in transit.

When in doubt, send like 5 snips, at least one is probably gonna make it.

I had a cut in a box for 11 days and I managed to root it (only took a month of white-glove treatment lol).

7 Likes

Yep, I’ve sent and recieved cuts this way. I’ve even stored cuts in the fridge for a month the same way.

12 Likes

So sayeth the @ReikoX, so it shall be. Forever and ever. Amen.

I used to work with a guy who looked like Eddie Griffin, but had a very high pitched country accent and every day at break time he would jump up from his desk and loudly ask, “WHO WANTS TO BUY ME A SODA?!?” So of course when I found out this news about cuttings I was as ecstatic as Mike Tyson and I thought to myself, “WHO WANTS TO SEND ME SOME CUTS?!?” But alas, the temperatures here will turn a fresh dog turd snow white in 24hrs, so I must wait until climate equilibriums have been achieved. Please have a pleasant day.

Hot or Cold packs and a foam insulated box do wonders for shipping cuts.

edit: need fast shipping too though. those packs usually only good for 1-3 days or so.

Back in the early/mid 2000s there were a bunch of us, including Katsu, on CW and OG who traded clones this way. Actually that’s how I met Katsu. I had Genius, he bought Bubba and we shared them with anyone who wanted them. And like vernal, I’ve kept cuttings in the fridge for over a month in ziplock bags and they rooted just fine.

6 Likes

Thank you for your contributions to this culture that I love so much. :metal:t3: Party on!

1 Like

Indeed! Katsu’s article on ICMag is where I learned about this.

2 Likes