Shipping clones: is oxygen neccesary?

i feel silly asking. i was planning on shipping some clones to a friend by wedging them between pieces of cardboard then vacuum sealing them in a bag (pressing the button before they get crushed), the cardboard would hopefully keep them safe from getting knocked around too much. will the minimal of oxygen be enough for 4 days in travel?

4 Likes

Only if they are staying on Earth. Mars no oxygen needed. Seriously though some people just make sure there is some air space in the package. No Pun intended. I wouldn’t vac seal. Use a clone box or dixie cups taped together. Bubble wrap the shit out it. Youtube all kinds of videos. Google clone shippers.

8 Likes

I just get a little small piece of napkin wet it, squeeze a little water out, wrap it where the cut is at, wrap the paper towel with a little ceram wrap, put in ziplock bag with all the air out, and ship in bubble envelope! Has not failed me yet. Unless it’s hotter than heck outside.

9 Likes

I know of a breeder who sends his clones with the bottom of the stem wrapped with moistened tissue/paper and then placed inside a vacuum bag with the air vacuumed. they last for a week like that.

6 Likes

I’ve recieved them like that too. So all this clone shipper with lights on top is cool and all but I’m happy as long as the plant is alive and growing

3 Likes

Rooted clone in a plug or cuttings? Do not send bare root what ever you do, way too delicate. Fresh cuttings actually last longer, but rooted clones ship fine as long as it’s quick.
If you’re sending a plug/rockwool/peat pellet in a bag, I would also secure a thin stick like a skewer or something to the plug end (chop sticks from take out work well). I’ve wrapped them in with the paper towel with the plug, or even just tape it to the length of the rolled up bag, making sure the plug is gently but securely wrapped to the stick so it won’t slide in the bag if dropped on it’s head.

9 Likes

If you send with a damp/wetted paper towel, add a few drops of H2O2, as it will revert back to oxygen.
A few drops of it, in a bucket of minnows will keep them alive 12-24 hours with out an air pump running.

7 Likes

Another fisherman I see…. Nice :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@PhilCuisine gets his clones shipped in DVD cases sealed in nothing but a Ziplock bag.Bunch of cuts in those bags too.

6 Likes

I’ve read someone here talk about how he freezes his clones for long term storage. When ready to grow you just thaw them out and do your clone thing. I for one don’t know if I believe that, freezing temps kill plants, but I did read it here somewhere. If true, could be another way to ship lol

Hey my dude seamonkey where ya been buddy??? Lol talk to @schmarmpit lately? He has a gift for you!!!

1 Like

Don’t Know about freezing them I do know you can put them in a ziplock bag with the air sucked out lightly misted with water on the inside with the clones and popp d in the crisper in the fridge.@Misterbee talks about it called it putting them in stasis.Can hold cuttings a couple weeks that way

Never feel silly. All questions are good to learn from.
I had wondered this very same thing about clone shipping w air inside package.

1 Like

Yea I heard :joy:.
You can stick them in the fridge, DO NOT FREEZE, cryo tissue culture is a whole nothing thing that is being tested but not really usable for now. Just put the cuttings the fridge in a cup of water, or bag them with the stems wrapped in a moist paper towel.

2 Likes

Better to ship when the weather is cooler…

1 Like

An unexpected delivery, said it was delivered 6.02.23…so it sat in the black mailbox for 2 days when it was 90+ degrees outside…i hope it gets healthier when I put them in water…

5 Likes

thats almost identical to what i was imagining. let us know how it goes!

I can’t speak to shipping clones specifically but I can tell you that your average plant can be put in a dark room and forgotten about for a week and be ok.

It will be a little worse for wear but it will bounce back.

1 Like