Sept 2023, Landrace / Heirloom Challenge

Yes, I know the field capture method with rice and molasses, but I don’t practice it. I collect mulch in the forest and create a seedbed/inoculum of Mountain Microorganisms at home to later use it as a base in the creation of Bio Fertilizers.
Here you can see the procedure I use for it:
https://growdiaries.com/diaries/134104-grow-journal-by-defharo/week/725879

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a " congo" with a 9-10 week flowering time. Mel knows better too. Some can flower rather fast at 14+ weeks, but any faster and I’d get suspicious.

6 Likes

Today is the start of week 20 in Flower for these two Heirlooms.

Here below, the Bhadra, has begun dropping healthy, dark seeds the last couple of evenings.

The clusters of open/airy buds have begun to show a Purplish tint within the Colas

The Squirrel Tail below will be taken from the tent tonight for a good check-over; trichomes, seeds, over-all health etc

Squirrel Tail Jr. below, was used as envelope-filler yesterday, @97cm yowza week 6

Zero issues during the trim. Only the top Cola awaits packaging. If anybody can provide me a few tips on Packing a Plants Main-Top… it would be greatly appreciated. As you see below, the rest is simply gone, Waiting on an Address

As it sits in the crisper

Looking directly in the 4’ Front door ( and Yes that IS squirrel tail jr., in the top
Left corner, below )

Russian Tzar Bomba #2 greets you. #1 RTB is on the right, Zamaldelica left. Canopy has been leveled off with a real variety of lifts / lighting is balanced across the tent @ ~ 1050 ppdf

15 Likes

Yeah, dont know much about African strains …other than Ethiopian

Durban poison and Malawi…but not an African expert …the French and Spanish guys really know them well they probably still get direct imports

The Congo is one of “the ones” people are questing after…

Dont know with flower times…they are often wrong exaggerated one way or another

Or they count the flower time from when first flowers are seen…and as you know that can be big gap from timer switch to really getting flowers

I think Melfrank grew these indoors…but I dont know

Yeah the congo @ kwikseeds it comes from a German seed conservatory…it might be most Authentic I can think of

…Mel Frank good guy really helpful person in general

Its probably something people wanted available…

yeah, there’s a grail Congo out there…which is why the demand…That’s why I put up a link to it…

There’s a few guys on icmag who really know about Congolese…

Its tightly held strain…Congolese

3 Likes

Thanks for the info and Morning @herbgreen. I really wanted to see a Congolese plant this Session.

And still may have ones Input considering all of the seeds that have spilled from this opportunistic pollination. 5 strains and Slow showing Males left a Lot to question.

I have grown an Ace Congo, indoors and it was a beautiful grow, landrace considerations aside. 10-11 weeks if I recall and not a big plant.

The Congolese that I attempted this time around, held some great credentials and are the spawn of the Freakers Southern Congolese seed-run. Happy that I stayed In-House.

I’m actually hoping the Congo male did the deed, so we may shorten the flowering time a bit for some of the other time-monsters

Red Congo remains the best Bud I’ve personally smoked in ~ 45 years. Quietly but Always, looking for that creature

5 Likes

Yeah, the RSC Congo …The real seed company

That’s a good thread

4 Likes

Bhadra looking lovely with the purpling.

I laughed when I saw the Squirrel Tail Jr. top, reminded me of pictures like this:

Beautiful chop-stick packaging of the rest of her.

4 Likes

O I laughed when I saw this !!!
Thanks @FieldEffect for smoothing the bumps

1 Like

Big Feed last night as all plants were thirsty. And the Bhadra buds are taking shape. Photos 3L / Autos 2.5L of H2o

Squirrel tail (below) had a little defoliation last nite, nothing scary from the wpm. But I took any leaf that was ?
Still running the uv-c next week again

Below, finds the Zamaldelica Auto front & centre with a Russian Tzar Bomba on each side. Each on a different level, with One canopy height

Corner to Corner

Auto Zamaldelica below

18 Likes

3 autos below; Russian Tzar Bomba #1

Russian Tzar Bomba #2

Zamaldelica

11 Likes

What did you do to piss off Gunnar that bad?

Excited for you, final stretch.

1 Like

Just a Yawn Boss!
Final stretch of Flower sounds pretty loose. I’m still seeing “lots” of Clear ones @FieldEffect.

1 Like

I’m yawning too.

Ate a bit too much special brownie before the Super Bowl :cowboy_hat_face:

Well, we shall see how long the final stretch is. Should be special when it is ready :grin:

1 Like

I keep putting the macro stuff off lol.
Have had a few tastes of the Squirrel, I’ll tell ya bout it
Time to-suck-it up myself, and get’r done.
I’m hoping KC pulls it off !

1 Like

When it comes right down to decision-making, Cannabis plants can really throw some Junk at you. Then fire one right down the pipe.

Right now, teetering between week 20 and 21 of Flower, I’ve noticed this last week that the Squirrel Tail is loosing Green colour and becoming way Browner. Producing more seeds and less bud. When I looked last nite, chopping her down was the #1 thing I would think about today.

And then I saw a single well established Hermie-cluster about the size of a quarter.

It got chopped and disposed of, hands washed, scissors cleaned.

Hermie-ing late in flower is all new to me, but so is the Demise I’m feeling within this Squirrel Tail.

Yes, I am looking for some suggestions as to what the heck is going-on. But reality says to me, its time here shortly.

Clear trichomes all over the place still

Taken a few days ago, here is the squirrel. Still amazed I did not snap a pic of the Herm!

8 Likes

I have thought it was crazy it could even stay alive with so little active leaf area.

I’ve wondered the same thing about chopping it, even a few weeks ago. But you are in uncharted waters at 20 weeks. Definitely I’d wait for someone with experience with that sort of thing to chime in

How were your little taster buds?

1 Like

Enlightening thats for sure, here let me give you a fresh take…

I came into possession of a freshly chopped Squirrel Tail specimen(s) and I’m in week 3 of Curing them. Talk about a beautiful way to lead someone through whats just around the corner. Learning by Hands-on rocks 1000%

There are no skunks anywhere to be found. No pine forests or fuel depots.
Fair to say this one is Not sweet but registers as a FLORAL Assault, In Dirt !

The buds are huge and drying with such open and airy Foxtails. All intermingled.

Its a super-smooth smoke, right from the start. Not that Blossoms taste good, but this has a very curious taste, that you can’t get enough of. It matches the fragrance, so its a winning experience no question.

10 minutes-in and its a cheery positive “Lets get something done” vibe that has my head bobbing with no Tunes on yet lol.

Casual yet Focused!

Snorkeling goggles without Glass hahaa

Its Morning here still @FieldEffect. Have a Great Afternoon!

The Cure continues, much like the grow, targeting 3 months. And a huge Shout Out to the Grower :blush: (bad boy)

13 Likes

What a creative way to describe it :grin:
Sounds great!

Perhaps lower light intensity and amount of light hours to trigger her to finish?

1 Like

Morning @Rogue

I am already working with a little Less intensity and the PPDF is certainly running at a civilized level.

With the autos sucking-up any extra available Lite, I am having a hard time considering a move down to 10.5 hours or even 10, from the 11 hours they are currently receiving.

Given the journey Squirrel Tail has been getting, she had been my Governor of tent conditions and I just could not keep her focused and sustained. Sound familiar?

2 Likes

Squirrel Tail Sr. Just did not have enough positive stuff left to Finish this trip.

Looks like she has fully entered Seed production mode, and I’m accepting of what she’s produced already, and am ready to collect the seeds available.

Her Bud production has stopped in Week 21 is what I’m seeing.

She is swinging from the rafters right now. New tent profile below

• While the tent was being shuffled around, I sprayed the walls and equipment with a 200ppm Hypochlorous Acid solution. As the plants were re-loaded, they too were sprayed above and below ea leaf. Fyi, still working to keep wpm out of the dialogue.

Russian Tzar Bomba (below) has hit 85cm of Stalk

Russian Tzar Bomba autoflower is just trucking along. In using the ProMix CONNECT, there is quite a difference between these two siblings. I used it on plant #1 during an Up-Potting from 2 → 3 Gallons. Go #promix
59cm left, 84cm right

Cannot wait to compare the root balls when we are done; with & without. Same diets

Bhadra had a little yellow leaf removal last nite and she is trucking along. Drink time tonight

15 Likes