Seriously thinking about moving to Oklahoma

Try not to get caught up in the “grass is always greener over there” trap.

On the other hand, I agree with this.

9 Likes

The ability to pheno hunt 1000’s of plants gives me a chub … Seriously… I can’t imagine how liberating that must feel …

5 Likes

also the chance of an oversaturation of the market and prices bottoming out @Marcus420 is it a mature market or is it just getting started?

brownguy420 had big plans and got investors to fund his farm in oregon but everyone else had the same thoughts, market got flooded and he couldn’t get anywhere near what he budgeted for/expected, farm shut down and put up for sale after the first harvest and he got sued by his investors

he also grew everything from seed to pheno hunt so things might not have tested as high as the dispos want, but oregon produced 10x more than it consumes in a year and prices for outdoor were hitting like $300 a pound

7 Likes

New market . It’s the only state set up to where the mom and pop grows make money … Lbs average the highest in the US … 2800 a unit for indoor …, My prediction is 3 years the market will fall out …

3 Likes

depends, all the growers losing money in other states may just pick up their equipment and move as well. i guess no risk no reward. whats the licensing process like?

3 Likes
4 Likes

It’s a 2 year wait to be a resident , I have a unique situation, I’m able to buy a friend’s license … 2500 , no plant count … You can transport , sell to dispensaries… A lot of red tape but well worth it… Seed to sale , all electronically monitored …

3 Likes

does every plant need to be tracked from seed to sale in oklahoma like oregon did?

i see you already answered that after i walked over to the TV lmao … don’t have my glasses on :nerd: 2500 seems like a crazy good deal … does all that other red tape involve more costs? in canada its minimum $67,000 for a micro cultivation and micro processing license, then you need to build out a separate facility for each operation to strict specification etc … ends up being a lot of money - our PM basically legislated a monopoly for his friends - and the micro licenses didn’t become available for like a year after legalization

6 Likes

That’s crazy. I know if you’re doing indoors/outdoors here you need the whole setup first before they give a license now. Can cost you $250,000+ and then get rejected for your license. Canopy just closed 2 greenhouses in BC too, everyone here is loosing money. Sounds better down south.

3 Likes

how fast can you actually set up and grow in a productive manner compared to how fast will the prices drop? seems like if you are considering it now you are already 2-3 years behind the ball. a bunch of sooners rushing in…

7 Likes

A friend set up in Oregon & closed after a year or 2; He said it went from 2000 to 500 a unit in less than 2 years.

Thieves will probably follow the rush too… :worried:

Best o :four_leaf_clover: luck

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Just so you know, the units at 2800 aren’t moving the same anymore unless you have AAA boutique level cannabis. And even at that point, the price has already started to fall now. I would think 18-2500 would be a more plausible number to plan around. Especially if you aren’t coming into a facility you can turn out before prices drop even further.

3 Likes

I’m plugged in with someone who is established there … I have a spread sheet and a line on the cheapest HVAC … That’s the biggest overhead . It gets to 105 there … 16 Gavitas 1000’s , 5 harvests a year … The math is there.

4 Likes

4 to 7 months to fire up on average after red tape and construction …

2 Likes

Hey Marcus,

I have a 50 literoom running right now. I had 48 DE HPS (Chinese garbage), and just recently purchased 48 CMH 630’s…I had a mix of DE HPS and CMH in there, and was ver happy with the lite, spectrum wise, and power wise. I saved 10,000 watts by using the 630’s. The CMH with the flower lamps, grow tighter nugs and better trichomes. Perhaps you might want to look into the combo of the two, it may be something that interests you. Brings a pretty big savings in power.

Regards,

K.

4 Likes

That’s why it’s better to go after the outdoor license…It’s easier to get it amended, than apply and get the indoor accepted.

K.

2 Likes

Thx man ! I appreciate the insight . I have my farm for sale to fund this … When the ink is dry I’m Ok bound … Outdoor there from what I’ve heard is hard to move . That’s where my heart is … People don’t care , they care about thc % and bag appeal …

2 Likes

Why not grow CBD’s? In Canada, they move for just as much money and get a tax break, where the THC stuff, gets taxed more. I am sure there is a CBD market you can make a run in?

K.

3 Likes

Oklahoma has some of the loosest regulations. (Some of the easiest for diversion, which may make the market prices hold more than say, Oregon).

The CBD market has crashed for biomass and to a lesser extent for flower. High-end CBD flower will hold for people who can pull that off, same as boutique marijuana. The lower taxes and access to crop insurance are legit and make it less risky.

Oregon has also been set up for mom and pop success. But ruthless markets with no caps on licenses + a lot of regulation overhead are tough. As people drop out of the scene (and they paused granting new licenses), prices are rebounding. This is from a month ago:

Bottom line. Do you want to live in Oklahoma? There are plenty of places to make a go at this now. Everywhere for hemp…

4 Likes

So just to play devil’s advocate, let’s say 9 :roll_eyes: & then another 18 mo @ 25/# x realistic yield > or = cost + acceptable-to-you profit. :balance_scale: :slot_machine:

Or somethin like that. :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes