You Okies are cannabis crazy!

I just had the pleasure of a road trip through part of Oklahoma. A lovely state :grin:.

At times, I had problems finding gas, or a decent place to eat, or even a place to go to the bathroom. But God bless you Oklahomans, you guys have a weed store every place it seems.

Little towns, 1000 people, 1 gas station, 1 cafe … and 2 weed stores. I swear that was the norm, not the exception. Bigger towns, around every corner, weed store. Billboards everywhere …

I’ve read here on OG of the market there, its just not something ive personally experienced and i find it a bit fascinating.

19 Likes

I haven’t visited Oklahoma since they went medical, but a lot of MMJ patients in the neighboring state of Missouri will seek out a temporary OK license and hit the road in order to stock up.

Even when you add the cost of the temp license, fuel for the vehicle, and an overnight stay in a hotel - you’ll still save $$$ compared to buying the same products from a Missouri dispensary. Plus they have a TON more variety and arguably better product.

I hear recreational will be on the ballot in Oklahoma this year. MO just started this month. I wonder how the markets might change…

5 Likes

I just drove cross country and agree with how cool it was to see so many dispos in a Southern State, but was also surprised when I was given very dirty looks by locals when they smelled the devil’s lettuce off me.

2 Likes

I’m glad to say Missouri is finally getting in gear as well with the rec passing last fall and took effect on feb 6

1 Like

A fellow grower I know shut his operation down because of the saturation, it’s driven the price down so far it’s crazy. He couldn’t give his crop away at $400 a #

3 Likes

edmond ok has the most dispos per capita than any state in the country go into town there is like 1 on every corner

1 Like

I have a friend down there who says the Chinese have swooped in and are running a huge number of grow ops, flooding the market. (I’ve seen some of the weed, it’s PGR trash.)

Nah. I think I’ll stick with my closet growroom.

7 Likes

Yes there are at least 10 dispos within a mile of me. And I haven’t been in a dispo in OK.

2 Likes

Super flooded. I had several old schoolmates that sunk their savings into grow ops that ended up closing down. Nice quality indoor couldn’t fetch 700 per. There are over 7000 licensed commercial growers in OK and who knows how many others. A lot of people just grow their own and share between friends.

7 Likes

I know some rural real estate agents saying they were paying significantly more than asking price with duffel bags full of cash.

1 Like

Yup, the last crop my buddy did, he got $550 a # and then closed the doors after soaking close to $100k into his operation.

3 Likes

There is strong opposition. A lot of people who don’t consume or consume minimally supported medical, but they don’t like what they’re seeing. They are speaking out against rec. They didn’t expect to see it sold on every commercial center. Grows all over the place. Smelling it wherever you go. They feel duped.

4 Likes

According to my buddy down there, a lot of those grows are run by Asians (primarily Chinese). There’s already been one pretty well-publicized murder, yikes.

This is the kind of stuff that is being sold…though they can’t even give this mess away.

2 Likes

Depends where you’re at. There are plenty of people who really don’t like it at all. It’s difficult for them to adjust.

1 Like

A lot of crap gets processed for RSO, shatter, edibles, other solvent extraction.

2 Likes

There’s more than a few who took a serious loss. I want nothing to do with any of it, I just want to be left alone to grow my trees.

8 Likes

> A lot of people just grow their own and share between friends.

This is the way

8 Likes

I’ll be honest, the whole thing just felt kind of weird. I first smoked cannabis in 1974 and have spent almost 50 years not talking about it, quietly growing medicine to benefit me and honestly, being somewhat proud of my ability to avoid the black market and produce good herb. This just seems to diminish that somehow.

And yes, I completely understand I’m being like an old man yelling “get off my lawn.”

6 Likes

Great minds think alike…
Let me grow my shit, enjoy it with family/friends, and don’t fuck with my garden!

6 Likes

It’s weird for me to interact with younger people who never had to worry too much about getting busted.

5 Likes