Gh 3 part or Lucas formula

Bout to start this next run in hydro, trying to decide if I should run the grow in veg or just do the bloom/micro. I’ll also be using armor si and have calmag if needed.

5 Likes

That’s all I use for my plants, Lucas formula, and they do well.
I mean I’ve had issues in the past for excessive use of lifta and allowing pH to get out of hand but if I keep pH in check plants do very well.
I use Coco as substrate!

6 Likes

I only used micro and bloom the whole way through. Veg and flower. No problems a great system. Tried it side by side with others and sometimes added extra things. The basic is all you need w maybe a touch of magnesium on some strains. When you run out of your liquids I would suggest you just get the powdered maxibloom and just run that. The powder was more ph stable and it’s way easier to just scoop instead of measuring liquid.

4 Likes

You will be surprised how easy and good everything grows. I ran Lucas for like 10 years. Strayed occasionally…always went back. It’s better than the more expensive stuff and easier too.

4 Likes

I’m probably just a nube, but I was in your same situation and I realized that if I bought the floralicious plus a long with the trio and calmag i already had, I could use gh’s feed chart to a tee. It’s working well so far. But I wonder what is the cheapest way to do it with gh? Probably not by buying 6 bottles.

1 Like

Cheapest from the start would be just maxibloom, or cheapest overtime would be something like jacks, mega crop or masterblend, I just don’t feel like doing the mixing and getting salts to dissolve in cold winter water is a pain in the ass.

9 Likes

Yea the maxibloom powder is def the cheapest if you don’t want to start mixing salts. (I have enough hobbies right?) I would wait until the small 2lb bags of maxi were on sale and buy a bunch. A bag would do 5 plants in 5 gal bubble buckets in a 5x5 (big plants) for a whole run. You could save a few bucks if you bought in higher quantities…but I figured it out and it was only a few bucks a grow and small bags kept it fresher…no clumping. The megacrop was only slightly cheaper and you had to buy a bunch of it….and man did it go bad fast. I hated working w megacrop. (At least v1) The plants didn’t notice a difference between the two either.

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk89apsAcX2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

All my older stuff that’s all maxibloom grows…(maybe one megacrop or two in there later on) only the last year 1.5 years isn’t hydro.

2 Likes

I’m doing 2 or 3 25 gallon totes with 3 plants each, that still might be be my cheapest option tbh now that I think about. That’s gonna be 40- 60gallons of nutrient solution/week

2 Likes

How often are you planning of doing res changes and do you have a good way to empty/fill those totes?

I had to lug pumped waste water out of the basement and into the yard/garden to use for watering plants. It was pretty rough.

2 Likes

I have been using the Lucas formula since what seems like forever ago. I do occasionally add grow just to see the difference… which I consistently find to be harsher and leafier nuggs. I recently bought a huge 16-lb tub of maxibloom for 45 bucks, on clearance, and really need no other nutes,

7 Likes

Weekly, got a 33gallon trash can with wheels and a 660gph water pump. Might get a second big wheeled trashcan just to make things easier.

2 Likes

Please pardon my ignorance, but will someone volunteer to explain “Lucas Formula?”

TIA,
-Grouchy
PS, I just switched from the GH trio to Jacks in the hope of reducing the mung and strew gack that GH was making in my Rez. Jacks seems to dissolve more completely and leave less of a residue.

3 Likes

Instead of using all three you just use the micro and bloom. 8/16 ratio

3 Likes

Gracias.

Do you get a slime residue with Lucas formula?

3 Likes

I only used Lucas formula in hempys and briefly in coco. So I couldn’t say.

1 Like

In my hydro setup I use Jack’s and the mixing is really quite easy… I have a small 1 gallon pail that I fill with hot water from the tap and dissolve my salts In that. From there it just gets dumped into a 40 gallon Res of RO water

4 Likes

Any residue in your big rez?

Skip both and go gypsum+maxibloom start to finish. That’s all I’ve been using for the last year or two. Cheapest and super easy. Can add silica if you want but that’s it. Don’t need anything else at all.

8 Likes

How’s the flavor been running that mix? I ran maxi bloom at 7 grams a gallon for years with coco. Plants grew fine but flavor was an issue with the maxi. Never had success running 8/16 or 6/9 Lucas in coco.

3 Likes