Show us your COB rig?

the wattage on A type drivers can go higher, the wattage on B type drivers will not. B drivers require a separate potentiometer.

i don’t see any point in underdriving LEDs because with the pace of technology i highly doubt i’ll be using this lamp in 2 years let alone 5 years, and the difference in efficiency isn’t that big of a deal to me. i know its not a cob, but 4x qb304 and 2x HLG-320-1400 for ~640W

7 Likes

Diy led tape style :smiley: lol

5 Likes

LOL These things are hot… I’d be afraid that the foil will sputter.

In greenhouse at fall its ok, i was also afraid of course

I took an anjiit “1200” off amazon and pulled it apart. I kept the 40vlt 1200mah drivers and all the internals except the Chinese cobs, and replaced them with gen 7 Vero 18s in 3000k.

I built two triple units of Vero 18s in 3500k at a total of 75 watts each.
Without fans I’m running at 400 watts total in a 3x3.
I added these two cobstrip 3000k work lights that are pulling 52watts each on the killawat to bring me to 500 watts even.
I spent 120.00 on the anjiit, and 54.00 on its cobs.
I spent 80.00 total on the two triple arrays. And 50.00 for the 2, 50w work/flood lights so just short of 300 dollars for 500 watts.
I’ve run the anjiit rig modified for a little over a year, and have pulled up to 16.3 oz.
I picked Vero 18s because they have decent performance and run about 9 bucks a piece.
Anybody can do this and I’m sure there are way better diy rig options, but this is my modest attempt lol

4 Likes

has anyone experimented with driverless COBs? i think they work by lighting up half at a time and alternating so fast you don’t notice a blinking or something similar, not too sure. but cirrus just released a true 1000w LED utilizing driverless COBs for $999, so less than $1 per watt. i’ve seen some driverless COB builds on other forums but they look janky and idk

https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/collections/cirrus-led-systems/products/cirrus-1k-led-grow-light

3 Likes

Yo gotta know what you’re doing bro! I know nothing of electronics…

1 Like

The hard part is solder, but if you watch growmau5 on YouTube he’s a great teacher of all things cob. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its nice not having people troll the crap outta you for not using Vero 29 s or citi’s! Real positive vibe here, I’m loving it.

3 Likes

@Morgwar your build is super impressive (and economical!) i couldn’t think of one negative thing to say ! can’t wait to see your ladies under it!

2 Likes

I use those two… HAHAHAHAHA

Got my Citizen CLU048 200W and the Vero29v7 600W… LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You can see my girls here.

1 Like

Thanks man ill try to get a journal going. Still getting the hang of this forum. The light you posted looks great for a 4x4 but I think you could get better coverage for less cash if you shop around.

2 Likes

If i have to look for one more lamp on the web i will go crazy!

First started to bother all these guys asking what they would use and all, then a good friend in the forum pointed me in the direction of COBs. I started to watch GrowMau5, and enrolled in a electronics class online to learn how to do everything the same. That was when i realized i wanna grow weed not build lamps… LOL

I bought them ready made from Timber Grow Lights.

2 Likes

Nice, I was going to do the same thing to a pair of Blackstar Chrome lights I have in storage. Looks like they worked out great.

Might have to dust them off and give it a go. :wink:

yes i would never purchase a prebuilt light i was just using that as an example to show driverless COBs are starting to show up in the mass market… i’m working on designing my own PCBs

2 Likes

Well don’t poke to much fun but this is my PlatinumLED P300 conversion. Cost me approximately $80us to get rid of the blurples and replace them with 4 Citizen Clu-048-1812 90cri. The rig used to run at 185watts at the wall and now runs at 144w and I do believe this is a much more efficient light.

The COBs are being driven at about 33 watts each.

This is what they look like in the tent.

7 Likes

Looks like a decent upgrade. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Cob rig currently running at 200w in the missis auto tent.

Cobs and Solstrips running at around 400w total just now.

8 Likes

@Albannach you mind if we use your pic on our website gallery brother?

3 Likes

Glad you like it bro and i’m happy to support your enterprise so yeh no prob.

3 Likes