Sick plant or just seedling being a seedling

Day 10 Strawberry Nuggets autoflower from Mephisto. Y’all ever see a seedling grow out of something like this or is it some sort of virus or otherwise?

2 Likes

It looks like it has a bit of cupping of leafs and it may be as simple as adding cal mag. I run into that here and there and have found feeding cal mag every feeding keeps them nice. Are you completely organic. Sorry, I may have missed if so. The cupping could be from high temp. Overwaterin, also too close of light source.

This could be thrips damage, have a look for them …

3 Likes

Looks more like signs of variegation than thrip damage to me. It’s common in the first leaf set to look similar. The second leaf set is showing more dominant signs of variegation.

5 Likes

Yeah I would expect more pronounced markings from thrips (as someone who is currently dealing with a full blown infestation).
I say LITFA

3 Likes

What’s your medium/ lighting/nute situation?

So far I’m leaving it alone- just waiting to see what develops… Lighting is full spectrum quantum board set to about 12-15 DLI, top of tent, 20/4 cycle. Temps are low 80s, humidity high 70s. Soil is a 1/4 gallon fabric pot on top of my main pot. It’s a very airy mix I make for seedlings, low compost, peat/coir, and lots of aeration (sand, crushed lava rock & expanded shale). Edit: should add its all organic, main pot and seedling pot. Just took a look at the leaves under the loupe and didn’t see any bugs, but I’m not entirely sure how big thrips are… thanks for the help!

1 Like

It’s not the thrips that suck, it’s their fucking larva/pupa, and they’re tiny.

1 Like

I would have to throw a micro on them to make sure it isn’t Thrips. But, I have one and I like to make sure.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

Send a picture to Mephisto for them to take a peak at it.

1 Like

Just a (now) common variegation, nothing that you can fix without rebuilding the DNA of the plant ^^

1 Like

I’ve got a microscope - is there a way of peeking that doesn’t require me taking off any leaves?

New growth is coming out with the same markings :thinking:

Could be HLV, hope not … :disappointed:

I sent a picture to the guys at Mephisto to see what they think or if they’ve had anything like this crop up with that strain. Haven’t seen anything like this before in my tent :-/

2 Likes

Wise move Arriba|nullxnull, let us know what they say, weird looking for their good genetics … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1 Like

Should hear back from Mephisto this week. I wouldn’t call this stunted growth, but it is definitely growing strangely. Check this out:

IMG_6861

Bizarro. Day 14, decent size for that age, but some strange asymmetries and misshapen leaves.

Heard back from Mephisto - here’s the exact wording:

“I’m more of the school of thought that the plant in question has a mutation. It looks like it may self top looking at the newest growth. But if his environment is all in check, it’ll most likely just grow out of it.” They also warned the leaves from last round on the surface can harbor pests :upside_down_face:

Not the worst thing to hear. The worst outcome here I would think is having it be a virus/viroid potentially contaminating my soil and environment. I’m not counting that option out but it’s reassuring to hear it from the breeder that it’s likely just an odd plant. The main pot is losing moisture now as well so I know the roots have made their way deeper into the soil.

1 Like

She grew out of it- but I think the strange leaves could have also been caused by pest damage early on. I saw some groups of very small white bugs and flecks of damage on older leaves, followed by mites and rove beetles setting up shop to feast. Young thrips is my best guess.

2 Likes

I’ve not run auto’s.
If she was mine, and I myself, did think Thrips was your issue, I’d consider removing the lowest big fan leaves, for more air flow, less bug mating area, as they only hold some starch for use, if nutrients get to low.
But your nutrients are looking spot on to me, so yeah, I’d remove a few leaves.
I think she’s a nice looking, just overly leafy!

1 Like

Where are you located?