Sideways seedling

Hola amigos, I’m having a little bit of a problem with one of my seedlings. It is starting to grow sideways, is this easily corrected? And what did I do to cause it? This pic is from yesterday evening, I tried to prop it upright with some soil after. Thanks everybody in advance

5 Likes

Hard to see but you may have some damping-off going on there.

See this:

Damping off is caused by a fungi. which are difficult to control, but it’s growth and whether it will affect your plant is partially dependent on the environment. An overly damp soil will encourage it’s growth.

4 Likes

It will correct itself and grow straight & you dont have damping off, you’ll be ok bromigo…

4 Likes

You could add a little dirt, and straighten it if it’s bothering you…

1 Like

From the picture of the shadows in your grow bag, it appears it’s growing toward the light source. If really worried (and I wouldn’t be), take your Label, position it about 3/4 of an inch from your seedling, inserted slightly toward the stem. This will offer resistance and force upright growth. Simple solution, reposition media right next to direction of lend, forcing upright growth. Continue to stay safe, take care, and indeed, be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The old stick and a twist tie will give her some support, until she gets going. You can also use a fan when you have her tied up, gentle now…

I think it will grow out of it too. Just be careful not to over water at this point.

2 Likes

Look down on the stem for signs of damp-off. It’ll wither and constrict. If this looks like what happened, kill it and restart in warmer conditions. Cold temperature really encourages damp-off.

If it’s just a floppy seedling, increase the light. Seedlings started under strong light almost never do this. They usually stay short and erect (Beavis and Butthead laugh). People often say don’t give seedlings too much light but I find this to be counterproductive. They can handle direct sun and grow better for it.

3 Likes

Yep! And, if seedlings stretch, you can support them with bent, paper clips.

It’ll grow out of it soon enough.

3 Likes

Your stem does look a bit thin at the soil line. You can put soil up to those first two round leaves, the cotyledons. Everything below that point will become root. Do it over the course of a week or so, adding a little bit of dirt at a time so that the top roots can stay near the oxygenated surface. Do you have a fan on them?

4 Likes

I don’t have a fan on them. They are outside all day, I bring them inside at night and give them a few more hours of light while inside. I’ll try propping her up with something until she gets stronger. Thank you

3 Likes

Could be following the sun spinning the pot will change it’s direction .

3 Likes

It’s fine it will out grow this

3 Likes