Small mylar bags for storage

i definitely considered this until i learned it generates heat to remove the oxygen. exothermic reaction. that didn’t sound good.

1 Like

I’m a firm believer in zip locking leaving the slightest amount of air in the zip lock then vacuum seal till they just start to compress store long term in the freezer or cool dark spot.

4 Likes

I tried Grove bags for the 1st time last year, and I’m sold. Got some from last falls harvest, and it’s just as fresh as the day I pulled it out of the Cannatrol. Takes up way less space than jars. It’s easier on my back, as I’m not getting any younger, and carrying a laundry basket of Jars downstairs sucks, but full of Grove bags, pretty easy.
Grove makes small bags, med, and Large bags.
Mylar would work good too I imagine, never tried them as my wife, the darling that she is, bought me the Cannatrol and Grove bags last year.

4 Likes

Grove bags are just a mylar bag that has a mild air exchange?

2 Likes

Sweet!
I’ve been looking at those, have you measured the power consumption?
(I know they say 60 watts but I think that would be an intermittent load)

How ‘reusable’ are the Grove bags? I was wondering if trichomes might stick to the inside and possibly accumulate.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Grove are a seven layer membrane system that both does gas exchange and humidity regulation, there is an extremely long thread here about them but if you search for my posts in there I put up a diagram or two

1 Like

I just mylar’ed a bunch of quarters from some old batches. i will open one up in a few weeks and see if it’s messed up. if not, it’s on.
i figured that the jars had way more head space than these bags with all the air pushed out. and, now, it’s not leaking air.

3 Likes

Power consumption is minimal. Their rating at 60 watts is about spot on. Didn’t notice my bill going up but a couple dollars, not like my old dry room which was a definite jump in the bill.

1 Like

did a check on one bag. the bud smelled nice, intact. seemed good. was not dried out at all. i will check again in week or so. i just dropped some more stuff from a newer batch into the mylar bags.

1 Like

so, it’s been 4 weeks since i sealed up some bags of Tikal. at the 1 week mark, it seemed ok. at 4 weeks…still ok. The smell inside the bag was mild, but as i broke up the bunched up nugs into a jar it took on the classic sour incense smell I am used to. just rolled a j. the broken up bud smells a bit danker than before i bagged it. so, it’s curing in the bag it seems. i wish it had that super dank smell upon opening it, but that’s ok if it keeps like this for a long time. it still tastes like tikal. i will have to do another test in a month or two, but I am going to put the drier part of my last harvest into mylar bags this week i think.

1 Like

May I suggest taking a ounce and vacuum seal see if you notice a difference.
You might be surprised a month from now.

2 Likes

you mean just use a normal vac bag instead of mylar for comparison? that is how we used to store the lbs way back. i transported a lot of bud like that. made the mistake on one of my first runs and opened a bag to sample. it smelled like dank grapefruit the whole way home…stressful.

it may be possible to vac the mylar bags…i haven’t tried yet, but heard about it. i am getting most of the air out of the bags as it is…but less could be more.

1 Like

Just normal vacuum bag I usually will ziplock first leaving a small amount of air in that bag then vacuum seal stopping before it compresses the buds .

Your mileage may differ but works well for me . 2 year old bud smells great.

1 Like

that is exactly how the BC buds were shipped (i had Asian friends). in 2 half gallon zips put into a vac pac. I’ll give it a shot sometime. about 20 years ago used to just vac pack bags of bud, but i would lose a lot of trichs on the bag and misshape the buds. i hoped the lined mylar bags would keep that from happening…that part is working well. the crystals are intact…some are smashed, but it just makes the buds look super frostly/glazed. thanks.

1 Like

what sort of moisture level indication are you using? i was worried that buds with some headspace in a jar that sit at 60 to 62% rh would see some rh levels go too high as the space in the container/bag goes down.

1 Like

Not much for jar curing or storing seems over time it all smells and tastes the same.
I’ll bag and seal at 58/60% never worrying about mold or them drying out too much.

1 Like

Absolutely, your seed and pollen storage methods sound impressive. Vacuum-sealed Mylar bags are excellent for preserving seeds and pollen. Mixing pollen with diatomaceous earth is a clever approach to maintaining viability. Specialized vacuum sealers are crucial for proper air removal. For extended bulk storage, repurposed laboratory HDPE chemical buckets with rubber seals, ratchet locks, and vacuum ports, combined with Boveda packs, offer airtight protection. This setup, especially when used in an industrial freezer, ensures long-lasting preservation for buds, seeds, and pollen, making it an ideal solution for enthusiasts seeking reliable and efficient storage methods.

the bud i put in the mylar bags has now sat for a few months. the bud is just fine.
i don’t vac seal, but i do manually suck out all the air, then seal.

sometimes it seems drier than i expected, but still great. the smell opens up after being put into a jar.

2 Likes