Grove Bags usage for cannabis storage and curing

Continuing the discussion from Cannatrol users:

So our bags aren’t simply bags, they’re microclimates. What I mean by that is they are actually active environments that maintain very specific atmospheric conditions for the optimum curing and storage of cannabis. What our bags do is leverage our TerpLoc™ technology to maintain less than 1% weight variance and an anti-static anti-microbial environment this is inhospitable and discourages both mold and bacteria growth. But most importantly, our microclimate maintains 40% to 45% more cannabinoids and terpenes in a natural way by using the natural moisture of the plant. And we do that without the use of humidity packets, nitrogen flushing, or any of these harmful food strategies or other repurposed products that aren’t designed for cannabis.

4 Likes

Or grove bags in the Cannatrol. :grin:

2 Likes

What’s so special about the grove bags? I looked at their website and thought somebody found a way to sell a plastic bag at 100x markup. Kinda like what I thought when bottled water came out on the scene.

6 Likes

Maintains proper humidity levels in the bag , has breathable membrane

3 Likes

Having used both sealed mylar and grove bag, something about the plastic they use does indeed work slightly better than generic mylar. They’re pricey but reusable.

3 Likes

Somebody else said they tried both groove and a Mylar bag and it was about the same.

Breathable, why does it say to make sure the humidity is on point before bagging then?

the bags last years , i do not heat seal , maintains proper levels even after a year in one

1 Like

But, your humidity is on point before bagging right?

To be clear you’re not taking bud that’s say 70% humidity and bagging it…sealing it via zipping it sealed …and then having the humidity work it’s way down to 60 or so?

It seems like a storage bag not a breathable dry and cure bag. Otherwise why not just throw bud into it and then into the crisper of the fridge for a month?

1 Like

Because they MAINTAIN the correct humidity… not get them there

4 Likes

That’s my whole point, it doesn’t sound breathable to me at all. Sounds exactly like what a generic Mylar bag would do.

Not trying to be a dick…it just smells like a sales gimmick to me at this point.

2 Likes

Bud is stabilized at 58-62 percent before placing in Groves. Bags will absolutely maintain it at that level , mylar will not do that . Had some in Groves over a year now , will store no other way

2 Likes

So, I asked chatgpt. The very first key point alludes to why your seeing this tight control. In fact I’m going to try and use a resealable bag for traveling with some cigars.

Here’s the AI response.

Grove bags and Mylar bags are both used for packaging and preserving cannabis, but they have distinct characteristics and advantages. Here’s a detailed comparison of the two:

Grove Bags

1. Composition and Design:

• Material: Grove bags are made from a proprietary material called Boveda® Humidity Control technology, which is designed to maintain a stable relative humidity (RH) level.
  • Features: These bags are engineered with a breathable membrane that allows the exchange of gases while controlling humidity levels. This helps in preserving the freshness and flavor of the cannabis.

2. Purpose and Benefits:

• Humidity Control: Grove bags are particularly effective in maintaining the ideal humidity level for cannabis storage, which can enhance the curing process and prevent mold.
  • Preservation: They are designed to keep the cannabis at optimal conditions for long-term storage, helping to maintain potency, flavor, and aroma.
  • Convenience: They do not require additional humidity control packs or devices. The bags themselves regulate the environment inside.

3. Usage:

• Application: Ideal for curing and storing cannabis. The breathable nature of the material allows for some gas exchange while controlling humidity, which can be beneficial during the curing phase.

Mylar Bags

1. Composition and Design:

• Material: Mylar bags are made from a polyester film (often called BOPET), which is known for its durability and resistance to moisture, oxygen, and light.
  • Features: These bags are typically sealed tightly to protect contents from environmental factors. They may or may not include oxygen absorbers to extend shelf life.

2. Purpose and Benefits:

• Protection: Mylar bags provide excellent protection against light, moisture, and air, which helps in preserving the quality of the contents.
  • Shelf Life: They are commonly used for long-term storage of food, medications, and other perishable items. When used with oxygen absorbers, they can significantly extend shelf life.
  • Durability: Mylar bags are tear-resistant and offer a strong barrier against external elements.

3. Usage:

• Application: While Mylar bags are effective for long-term storage and protection, they do not inherently control humidity. For cannabis, additional humidity control measures (like Boveda packs) are usually required to maintain the ideal storage conditions.

Summary

• Grove Bags:
    • Specialized for cannabis with built-in humidity control.
    • Breathable membrane for optimal curing and preservation.
    • Convenient for maintaining freshness and flavor without additional accessories.
  • Mylar Bags:
    • General-purpose for protecting against light, moisture, and air.
    • Requires additional humidity control measures for optimal cannabis storage.
    • Excellent for long-term storage of various items with extended shelf life when used with oxygen absorbers.

For cannabis storage, Grove bags are generally preferred during the curing and long-term storage phases due to their built-in humidity control, while Mylar bags are more suited for items that need protection from environmental factors and have longer-term storage needs without specific humidity management.

4 Likes

So far I have been liking the Grove Bags. I did have one seal break on me. I recommend grabbing the actual seal part when opening to prevent this. vs just grabbing any part and pulling it open. I did 3 batches in the Cannatrol. 2 Batches cured in Grove Bags. Last Batch cured in the Trol. I will have to do a comparison soon. All in all, it turned out well. I did a conventional dry as a control and overdried it on accident. Cannatrol prevents that for sure… I plan to Stagger my next harvest again and use the Trol in the same manner likely. Its fool proof and I really like that. I just need to maybe pre-dry one day or extend the dry period 1 day maybe?

4 Likes

Ha… ChatGPT still needs work. Boveda is another company offering a form of humidity control. That is NOT a material. Grove bags call their stuff " TerpLoc ".

5 Likes

Whats that supposed to mean to us?

You could have given us wrong information yourself instead of having AI do it… Bot got it wrong in the first section. From there, what matters?

If Im trying to make a point to people, I’ll research it myselft and KNOW I got it right.

4 Likes

A lot of company’s use other companies technology via a license. So, maybe they do or don’t use a technology Boveda developed.

That’s great but you have a reddit attitude.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Actually, the “Reddit attitude” youre speaking of, is you spouting off and posting on things you know zero about …like its gospel

2 Likes

That’s the whole point, I’m not wanting to argue at all. The bags were brought up in regards to people using them in the cannatrol so a organic discussion developed around it.

Reddit is full of people who get so upset that resort to being rude over the most trivial of things like talking about a bag.

You can have a point or retort without being rude. I was actually trying to say the other poster seems to be correct on the humidity control vs a Mylar bag.

1 Like