Curing in oven bags?

Read somewhere that some of the bigger growers cure in oven bags. When your harvest is to large to cure in glass jars, who uses oven bags? What are some of the pros, and cons? If not oven bags then what do you use? Tell me some of the methods OG’ers use to cure they’re harvest.

12 Likes

Turkey bags, and the convenience is more can fit, they aren’t always air tight so it will help with air exchange on top of you burping the bags. They seem to emulate jars. Just another way to cure large amounts of buds,. One of our friends just used giant jars, it worked I think… not sure :confused:

11 Likes

I’ve known some to use 5 gallon buckets with an airline pipeed in to burp it at set intervals

14 Likes

@Deadinside88 , you don’t happen to know the timing and length of the intervals they used ?

6 Likes

I saw the bucket burping on " growing exposed " I thought it was some sort of air release valve that popped on it own when psi built but I could be wrong

3 Likes

Here is the system @Deadinside88 is talking about you know it’s a good video when YouTube won’t let you share it lol

7 Likes

@TheShowMeHomie , did it mention timing and length of intervals ?

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember it is pretty in-depth if memory serves correctly

1 Like

I’ve noticed two levels of cure in the BM proper cure and no cure

I think most of those bulk outdoor purchases are just hung a couple weeks and bagged

1 Like

I found them good for the cure, then into jars. Used velcro strips from my IT days to seal them. Toss the stupid ties they include. lol
Far less jacking with jars, I liked that.

baggage
From my “boring outdoor coco” run.

Did it all. Bags, sacks, buckets - I was on harvest overload.

Edit-added:
Monitoring the sack RH.

8 Likes

I used trash bags in a tote. I left it untrimmed and did it as I had time. I think it cured better than the stuff in jars.

7 Likes

They make bin/tote sized turkey bags. Hella nice for large harvests. :+1:

4 Likes

Untrimmed?
Did they dry enough to just crumble the dried leaves and leaf stems away?

2 Likes

Most were intact I trimmed the big fans and bucked them off the branches.

2 Likes

the box work boots come in is nice…but i dont know how many you would need 1 over here is normally enough…

3 Likes

Brown cardboard box if it’s just dry enough to not mold, but still pretty moist. Paper paper grocery bag inside a brown cardboard box if it’s already stem-snap dry. Breathes just a little, wicks moisture evenly.

5 Likes

Wow! Lot of good stuff here everybody. Been using the turkey bags myself for about a year now. Sometimes I don’t burp often enough when using glass jars, and my buds get a little grassy. The oven bags took care of that problem, plus I don’t need to have a thousand jars laying around now lol! Those self burping buckets are a thing to look into now though. :thinking:

7 Likes

I’m doing this now myself, but with paper bags in a box. I had a lot of company over this weekend, and didn’t have time to trim everything at once. I’ve been picking buds out and plucking the leaves off and smoking the buds. They are fairly smooth and tasty. They seem to have begun to pre cure or something even before going into the oven bags.

6 Likes

sometimes extra is good… bag in the box…i like. thanx.

1 Like

Hang 14 days in a 60/60 room trim , place in
Plastic locker tubs tape up the vent holes burp 3/5 times a day in a 60% humidity controlled room 60 degree temp for 7 days . Make sure to stir the buds in the tub each burp finish in freezer bags vacuum sealed into the freezer .
This process allows for a continued cure once removed from freezer in a jar but to be honest it’s pretty dam good fresh out of the bag!

8 Likes