Smallest clone ever?`

So some of you may know, I purchased seeds that turned out to not be what they were sold as. In a nutshell, I got a whole bunch of autoflowers, when I wanted photoperiods. Anyway, before this was figured out, I topped my ladies outside (not knowing they were autos), and I figured I would pop the tops in my intermittent mist bed, maybe they would root and I could toss a few clones to a friend…

Well, this is them just a few weeks ago (6/25). I looked at them last night, and while none have gotten any taller, 3 of the 5 have started to flower, so they MUST have roots, right?

When the fog rolls outta here this morning, I snap a current pic. I couldn’t believe I saw flowers on them, perhaps making them the smallest flowering cloneever (well, at least that I’ve ever seen!).

4 Likes

When you get new growth, you have roots.

1 Like

And I couldn’t wait for the fog. Here’s a pic from 5 mins ago. Clearly you can see flowers on some, and there weren’t any there when they were cut!

5 Likes

I’ve grown some tiny auto flower plants and never even topped them lol,I have a Skywalker not even 1ft tall and it’s in full flower,reason I’m going back to photo plants ,kinda done with autos for a while

If I knew it was an auto, I wouldn’t have topped her. Never did autos before (last time I grew they didn’t really exist, at least not mainstream). So I did a bit of research and learned they dont like to be topped or transplanted usually (short grow time). Had I known, I wouldn’t have topped them. Since they were supposedly photoperiods, I wanted branching, not height.

When I noticed flowers on the plants, I figured the cuttings in the mist bed were toast, putting energy towards flowering and not developing roots. But they seem to be doing ok…

Thats another thing I am curious about, cloning with my mist bed. I’ve cloned my ladies in the past aeroponically, and had 90% or better success rates (rapid rooters I always failed with ??? dunno why). I built the intermittent mist beds to propagate other ornamental landscape plants (coleus for starters, but many ornamentals can easily be cloned with intermittent mist), and the system works exceptionally well (I can turn 50 plants into 300 in 2 weeks), but never tried it with the ladies till now (didn’t have the mist beds last time I grew).

So, I know plenty of you clone aeroponically, hydroponically, in rockwool cubes or rapid rooters. Has anybody ever done intermittent mist for a clone bed?

For those that don’t know intermittent mist beds, basically its a 6" deep coarse sand bed with several garden misters on a timer. Timer is cyclical, turning on for 10 seconds every 10 minutes, from 7am-7pm (generallty sunrise to sunset). Finding the timer used to be the hard part because of its short water / cycle time, but now they are pretty popular.

I have a few other ladies that should be photo, just waiting for them to need a trim and then I’m gonna see of those cuttings root (otherwise I’ll just build another DIY aerocloner).

There’s no point cloning an auto unless you’re going to make seeds or pollen they grow the same speed as the mother plant,

The thing about autos though is once they hit week 3 or so of flower, just like photos periods, they stop their vegetative growth. So if you’re starting to show flower they’ve only got a couple weeks of VERTICLE growth left if that, you MAY end up with tiny plants you only get like an 8th off of. Which is fine, I don’t have the heart to kill shit off sometimes and did that with some autos, was a good 8th to smoke from each of them so I wasn’t too mad :joy:

1 Like

oh I know that, just didnt realize this was an auto when I topped it and tossed the cutting in the bed. The clone will finish at the same time mom does, making it pointless to clone.

Think I’m gonna leave them in the mist bed and see what happens. Too much moisture and the tiny bud rots, or, its a harvestable bowl worth. LOL

Remember, when I topped them, I was under they impression they were photos, and I had all summer to play. Few weeks later all of the “photos” I had started flowering, under 18/6 lights indoors, and slower outside. (see my other threads). That’s when I did the math and figured out the seeds I was sent were nothing like what I wanted to purchase (prefer photos myself, but the auto thing IS kinda cool outside if ya have a short season I guess). Only one of them outside didn’t get topped then (it was looking a bit weaker than the others), and now that one has the most developed flowers outside, so I can see how topping affected it somewhat. Kinda hope the topped autos produce, they did put on a nice stretch with the two new tops, but bud development outside is much slower than the “same strains” I have inside (and started on the same day). Could be the 18/6 inside, could be that my ladies outside need to be moved about 200 ft for more sun (currently in full sun 11am-7pm, moving 200ft they will be in full sun 7:30am - almost 8pm), but its off property and less secure. Gonna be a summer of experimentation for sure :smiley: lol

I’ve had a few like that

Northern berry
Weed was killer lol crazy looking plant,I think shitty genetics has a lot to do with these tiny plants,

I grew 3 of these and not one was the same size,all in the same soil fed the same nutes,

I’ve noticed everytime I grow one of them tiny seeds plants are always small was like these 3 northern berry seeds one of them was tiny,I mite be tripping about this but that’s not the first tiny seed I’ve grown to get small ass plants lol

2 Likes

My brother back in the UK just started his grow lol he only grows one plant at a time ,swear to god he grows dank weed,he don’t even own a ph meter feeds his plants water from his mates koi pond,
Sent him a mixed bag of auto fems to play with

4 Likes

Hey Irishrocker, yes the water from the koi pond is actually very good for plants. No wonder your bro is growing killer weed, he is using some of the best natural nutrients and minerals on his plants and no chemicals. You should ask your bro to sign up here. It will be nice to have more folk from the uk here. Not many of us about.

1 Like

I worked for a koi pond company for years. During spring cleanouts we actually would ask where they wanted the yard fertilized, and we would drain the water / waste there. Amazing fertilizer, yard was greener than green. I have my own koi pond and when I do spring cleanouts, the water is always diverted to the veggie garden, and my plants appreciate it. Fish emulsion is amazing… But can be “hot” right after coming outta a pond. The other broken down sludge that comes with it helps to buffer I believe. Nasty stuff for sure!

2 Likes

I’m from Belfast myself well I live
In San Francisco these days

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it, we have a good primer on Auto training here by SmknCunuck:

Gives a good idea of what you can get away with.
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

1 Like

My wife bought me my 2 grow tents lol she was sick of me growing weed around the house,I just had plants sitting on tables with spots shining on them,it worked well lol,house stank when the plants went into flower lol

So she bought me 2 grow tents

1 Like

As you can see, topping the autos didn’t end in catastrophe :yum: 10 tops, no sog / scrog, just topped after the 5th node. Pretty impressed it did this on its own :smiley:

Good little read though, thanks for the link. When I grew 10 years ago I did all sorts of training, and when I grew in college I remember a particularly tall sativa (mexican bag seed) in a guerilla grow behind my house that went up to 4ft then was tied down for like 8ft LOL. She had TONS of colas in all the side branches and still a fat huge top cola (I remember placing it in my sisters doll house as a “christmas tree” that nug was so big LOL. Tall plants got noticed, short bushy didn’t. Short purple indicas were invisible LOL but also rare for me to find back then. I’m gonna be training the hell outta some here soon enough. Just designed and printed me some LST clips, and got a few potential moms in the 3x4… The autos that I didnt expect though are kinda a blessing in disguise, they will tide me over while I bonsai those moms and get my cloner going again :smiley: They gonna be so tied up they’re gonna think they are in a NYC BDSM Club ROFLMAO.

Definitely plan to test out the intermittent mist bed I have for rooting clones as well, haven’t really seen it in the cannabis side yet, though it works awesome for ornamentals …

1 Like

Currently have a 3x3 and a 3x4 tent in my little room. room is like 7x12ish, and I use the room as well… Before I “spilled over” into the room, if the tents were closed, smell was non existent with fan / carbon. If I left the tents open, the GF would complain of the smell on the main floor as it just seeps thru all the floors. Gonna try to contain myself to the room / 2 tents this time LOL… Need to add one 6" fan for the room though…

2 Likes

Usually when I grow autos I don’t clone them i end up throwing them in the trash.