Smokenhike Grows Again

I like to be able to turn my lights (my house lights) to various percentages. Not sure if it would support that.

Go metric system!

2 Likes

Yeah with smart bulbs or dimmers. Don’t need Home Assistant for that, but it could enable more interesting things like automatically turning off all of the lights and turning down the heat when you leave the house, or whatever.

In the setup above I sort of turned the dumb AC Infinity fan into the one with the temp controller in an over complicated way. It wasn’t running the fan enough to keep the stink in, so instead of fucking around with it more I just disconnected the Rube Goldberg thing and set the fan on low.

Anyway, day 14 update. Soil might be a touch hot for AOG, others are looking pretty good and starting to stink. Transplant soonish.

Alien OG F3 | Grape Pie x Orange Goji | GG4 x C99

22 Likes

Automation is good There’s something to be said for the strength it makes me feel when I yell at Alexa and make her do things.

I just run my fan at the bare minimum to create just a little suction. But I don’t have them temps you do.

Plants are really moving along

6 Likes

Yelling is key, need to make sure the machines remember who’s really in charge. Doesn’t work in a data center though, when you’re outnumbered they don’t listen unless you ask nicely.

Thinking out loud here but any input is appreciated. The old 2x4 flower tent was retired, looking for a replacement. Not a heavy smoker but I do like variety and want to make the best of the lights I’ve got.

315 CMH is the favorite, seems like the buds smoke better and grow with less deficiencies.

DIY 120w and HLG 260. The DIY light could be 240w again with a new driver.

100w T5 fixture will stay in the current tent for veg.

Option 1: 2x4
HLG 260 does pretty well in here but there’s a hotspot in the middle which bugs me. Could maybe cut the heatsink in two and hang the boards further apart ? CMH intensity isn’t great at the sides.

Option 2: 3x3
Slightly more space than 2x4, layout a bit less convenient? Good footprint for the CMH. Or I could make a 380w frankenlight with the HLG 260 mounted in the middle of the DIY light.

Option 3: 4x4
Lots of room to work, but doesn’t fit nicely in the living space. Frankenlight might be a bit underpowered at 23.75w/sqft. 240w DIY + HLG 260 could work, or HLG + CMH if I can cool it.

:thinking:

8 Likes

Option 2

If the CMH is perfect I might go that route considering you have one.

The extra square foot is not nothing.

But I’m also a fan ok HLG but mine does have a hotspot if I push it too hard beyond spec

2 Likes

Thanks, 3x3 + CMH does seem like the best option. Ordered a Mars Hydro 39’’ x 39’ x 71’’.

1 Like

Cheers.

I don’t have one personally but I really like the tents that give you a couple extra inches. 39 is a weird number but I like it :+1:

1 Like

Yeah never noticed the oversized tents before, it’s a good idea. A 3x3 bed or flood table with a 36" outer diameter should fit no problem.

Day 20 update. Just transplanted into 1 gallons. Happy frog with a few extra scoops of castings & perlite. Underfilled a bit to make the next transplant easier. Forgot to add the myco again :man_shrugging:

No feed yet, just plain un-PHed Lake Ontario tap water so far.

Alien OGs looking happier now. GG4 x C99s are the most vigorous with the Grape Pie x Orange Gojis not far behind and very pungent.

T5s couldn’t cover the whole area with bigger pots, so I put the DIY LED back in. From 2 feet up (to start) it’s about 30k lux in the middle and 25k at the ends according to my cheapo Dr Meter. After they settle a bit I might flip for a few days to see if I can force preflowers.

I want to get a composter and/or worm bin going soon, if anyone has some good DIY designs to recommend.

12 Likes
3 Likes

That’s interesting, never saw anyone do it in bulk like that before with so much water. I’m guessing the Wife Acceptance Factor would be pretty low on putting a bathtub full of shit in the backyard though.

Got the new Mars tent set up, it’s a nice amount of space for me. The quality is ok, no pinholes, lots of ports, nice fabric and zippers. Some minor annoyances… the drawstrings aren’t very good and there’s no velcro on the door holder opener thingy.

They are ducted together with the veg tent 4" fan doing all of the work for now. Probably need to rework it to handle the CMH heat better.

8 Likes

With me the killer for worm farms is what do you do with it in the winter? I have nowhere indoors I could put such a thing.

I attached commander strips secured with the adhesive and some tape. I agree not perfect but I like my mars tent. It’s 2 1/2 years old now and no problems of any kind.

3 Likes

As long as the worm farm doesn’t freeze any protected area will work like a corner of the garage or shed in the yard. I’ve seen people dig a hole line it with straw and put the farm in the ground… just some options I’ve used and seen. They go into a kinda hibernation state. My grandfather used to keep nightcrawlers in a fridge In a homemade mix in the workshop and they ate and multiplied albeit slowly and as long as we thinned the herd monthly they would keep indefinitely… had it down to a science he did. 60 worms per 1 gallon of mix… he made so much money from the local fisherman it wasn’t funny he was awake when the shops were closed in the morning so during fishing season we had 3 or 4 ppl daily buying bait .
Sorry for hijacking the thread @smokenhike had a moment… this full spectrum vape oil has me fried today.

6 Likes

I have one of these in the kitchen, it’s small and unobtrusive.
https://www.cathyscomposters.com/products.htm

And I have more than enough worms (free) to get you started.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I really appreciate the thought but if I put worms in Mrs Foreigners fridge I wouldn’t live to tell you how bad it is.

I like the whole idea but I live in a small apartment and it just isn’t going to happen.

Thought about getting a cat (even though I’m allergic) but there’s nowhere to effectively put a litter box, for example.

4 Likes

@joecool no worries about thread hijacking :partying_face: I was wondering about that too.

@Gpaw that’s a really slick setup. How much can you pull out of there and how often, roughly ?

Suppose you could let them freeze on the balcony. Maybe they come back from cocoons next spring, or you order more worms ? Or cover with a few old blankets and a tarp plus a small heater or incandescent bulb to hopefully keep it just warm enough.

Time for my stoned ramblings :sleeping:

Day 24 update. Brain is totally fried from leading a 6 hour network migration today after months of planning. Just a few more of these things to do until I can move up to a new job with no evening or weekend work, can’t fucking wait. Really happy to be growing again so I can have recovery time in the garden.

They’re in the new tent under CMH on 12/12 for a few days and starting to show tiny preflowers. Gave a heavy watering with a light dose of fish emulsion. Looks like they’re enjoying it.

GG4xC99 | AlienOG | Grape Pie x Orange Goji

These babies are rank, the old filter couldn’t keep up enough for an inlaws visit tomorrow. Begrudgingly picked up a new one, 6" so I can use my old fan on Variac and keep the lazy 4" in the veg tent. It’s a temporary setup, need to get a board or something to mount the filter in the tent roof without putting weight on the poles.

Loving the temps now.

For a composter I’m thinking to just do a roll of fencing lined with landscape fabric to start. For worms maybe a rubbermaid tub in the garage.

8 Likes

Not a lot directly, I get enough to top dress 5x 5 gal pots a couple times a year.
But… I get enough surplus worms to run a 200L bin in the garage through the spring, summer and fall. That reprocesses a lot of soil!
Something cool I noticed was I had an interesting ‘zoo’ in my soil this grow. They came from the worm bin and were ‘inoculated’ from the top dressing.
I have baby worms (of course…), a small spring-tail de-composer and a tiny mite-like bug. These were living deep in the soil and I’d only see them in the saucers when I watered to run-off.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I think I’ve seen those guys before, or something like them in the runoff, thousands of the little buggers. Your worm farm is something to aspire to for sure !

Day 32. Took out 5 males with 2 suspects remaining. Transplanted a lady G99 and GPOG into 3 gallons of Happy Frog, castings, shrimp compost, plus a sprinkle of myco and Gaia.

GG4 x C99

Grape Pie x Orange Goji

Alien OG F3, both boys I think.

Was hoping for 1 of each strain for this bud run, but what can you do. At least the tent wont be crowded.

My first attempt at a budget composting area.

Got the flowers & veggies started really late this year, but that’s probably a good thing with the amount of space I have for them.

Thanks for looking!

16 Likes

Happy May Two Four eh! Recovering today after a long weekend at the inlaws cottage. Lot of drinking & food, board games, cornhole, an epic storm, no covid… It was a good time.

Anyway… After flipping the tent 6 days ago I’m very I’m happy to report one of the Alien OGs is female so I did end up with 1 of each variety as planned :grin:

The last transplant burned the crap out of GG4 x C99 & Grape Pie x Orange Goji but they’re looking ok now on the new growth. I think it was the shrimp compost so I tossed that bag in the garden and put the AOG in just Happy Frog + castings.

Going to chop the lower branches for clones soon.

Flowers & veggies, better late than never.

16 Likes

Good to hear you had a great time.
Your plants are looking great as well. :slightly_smiling_face: :v:

3 Likes

Glad you got a female of each. You know which plant interests me the most. Lol

3 Likes