Snow High collection for preservation

Nevermind, your talking the germing seeds, yes agree had to dab them with towel

4 Likes

I hope you’ll excuse what might be a stupid question, but I’m a little confused by the germinating seeds photo… do you have seeds sitting on the surface of medium, and that’s the tap root coming out?

2 Likes

I’ve crossed posted it to The Central American group.

Thanks I’m real busy …but I’m sure be some interest there.

Happy growing

P J

5 Likes

Yes that is correct.

1 Like

I believe the @JohnnyPotseed method might be going on there.

6 Likes

https://overgrow.com/t/johnnypotseed-s-germination-technique/

4 Likes

That would be correct sir. Unfortunately either my worm compost has bad critters or I screwed up somehow. Seeds are unfortunately now getting moldy and have little wormies crawling over them.

Gonna have to try another method or figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I bought some GA, test tubes, and coir today. I’m going to try the uber sanitary route next go around.

@JohnnyPotseed I’ll take some photos tomorrow and see what you think.

3 Likes

Sounds like you mighta had some ‘nastiies’ in the WC, brother.

3 Likes

Yep. Out of curiosity, if I cook the castings, I’m killing everything, presumably that would negate the value of the method?

Sterilizing castings takes all the good stuff out as well as the bad.

3 Likes

Freakers ball posts have advice.
Pressure cook the soil for some time. An amino acid depletes over time can be added, dont remember the name. Aspirin and cinnamon water soak a few hours was posted recently. That is all I know.

3 Likes

Haven’t heard much about that, and not sure if it’d work for germinating. I’ve only always used straight, fresh WC and have had excellent results. Just look at that link I posted… I say the proof is in the pudding. lol
Alright, I’m going back to my movie with the wife, lol

4 Likes

Thats what I thought. I don’t have my own worm bin, so I buy castings from Terra Firma.

1 Like

I personally think these new germinations are weak and dont need bacteria to fight also.

How much does a culture grow in Petri dish cost?

Enjoy and thanks, apologies to the wife, mine is looking at me right now as well…think you know what i mean

Excellent collection and wonderful project idea. I would be glad to help. I have some snowhigh genetics growing as we speak and just completed a freakers grow for snowhighs pablo’s gold vietnames purple cross. I have so many landrace and heirloom strains in the queue I cannot help you right away. But many here may be able to do so, and when my backlog clears up I am game as well.

5 Likes

I bet @Guitarzan @Elchischas and @mexcurandero420 might be interested.

6 Likes

here with my group of friends and I are trying to germinate old seeds with the worm bins method.
It is by far the best I have seen for germinating old seeds

8 Likes

For the germination discussion - I had similar issues recently with store bought castings - I think they were old and contaminated - I blanked on 2 packs that should’ve done better than that… shortly after I saw some little “flies” in the castings so I blame that along with the fact I probably had them too wet as well.

To redeem myself I put my next packs straight in solo cups with sterilized soil and plastic wrap over the top, on a heat mat, and removed the plastic once they sprout. I used a mild humid acid solution for the initial watering as well.

For the ones that didn’t sprout I left them in the cups and let them go through several wet / dry cycles and surprisingly had two of the Torreón x Michoacán sprout about a month after the initial germination group.

PS - to echo @misterbee id vouch for @YoBigdaddy as a strong choice for any repro efforts :call_me_hand:

10 Likes

I would definitely try to track down that jar of old seeds! Just put it back in your freezer as soon as you get them and they could last a really long time. You could be sitting on some old Mexican classics there!

7 Likes