Vietnamese Da Lat and Black (Signup Closed)

Good morning everyone. I get a newsletter every month from John with SnowHigh Seeds. This month’s email has the following:

Da Lat: Pure Vietnamese Heirloom Landrace, $400 for pack of #10 2 packs left.

This is a saving of a line more then a preservation, as the seeds were very old and took a long time using a dropper to germinate the seeds. These are not like the Vietnam Black, these are weeping willow, curly, leafy, wild and long branches that grow up from the ground and drape over. The flowers are tight, with good resin, but very small glands. Most all phenotypes are green, with the occasional purple phenotype. If people save the seeds and keep breeding them together the purple phenotypes will become less recessive and become more typical. I saved this line in 2014, So these are a little more than 5 years old. These are no longer found in country of origin. My health isn’t great so this is a chance to get some out to the public. Will only be available for a short time.

Pure Vietnam Black purple stem selection (Vietnam Black purple stem x Vietnam Black male) $500 per pack of 10 or $300 for 6 seeds ONLY 4 PACKS OF 10 Available**

This is from the year 4 preservation of the Vietnam Black, a Purple stem version was released as a limited release freebie during Christmas several years ago. Only 10 packs were ever made. Purple and Red phenotypes have shown up as recessives.

I don’t know him, and haven’t asked, but I get the impression that John would be supportive of a preservation run with these, or probably any of his strains. I’ll verify that with him of course.

So what do you think, a pool of 20 people with a $45 buy-in for both strains? The thing is, we’d need someone who could grow them out, there’s no way I could do it. They ain’t cheap, but shit man, a real Dalat, a pure Viet Black?

Thoughts?

Edit: 08/21 I think it’s prudent to point out that we have 10 seeds of Dalat, and 10 Viet Black, both of which have a reputation for being hard to germinate and not producing a lot of seeds. Just be aware that there’s a higher risk of getting squat with these strains. No dis to the growers, they’re just tricky strains to grow. John did say he was available if we had any questions.

Edit: 08/20 I thought I’d put a list together. This is who I know of so far.
Edit: 08/20 Added 3 more. That makes 12. :slight_smile:
Edit: 08/21 Added YoungDad420 that takes us to 13. I’m gonna cap it at 20.
Edit: 08/21 Added #15 neogitus, #16 JDem075, and #17 WHO
Edit 8/22 Added #18 Romanoweed, and #19 TheCrueltyDesk. 1 spot remains. :slight_smile:

1. Guitarzan
  2. Upstate
  3. yobigdaddy
  4. kingmambo
  5. Worcestershire_Farms
  6. misterbee
  7. BubbaRay
  8. Instg8ter
  9. almostdone
  10. Heritagefarms
  11. Old-Ron
  12. MBVapester
  13. YoungDad420
  14. lefthandseeds
  15. neogitus
  16. JDem075
  17. WHO
  18. Romanoweed
  19. TheCrueltyDesk
  20. rootfarmer

We’ve got plenty of growers with a lot of experience with long-flowering landrace strains. @YoBigdaddy has indicated that he’s got the room and the willingness. @Worcestershire_Farms, (Diggy), has some Vietnam Black S1s going now, and he’s offered to run the Pure Viet Black. That’s fine by me, if it’s good with everybody else.

Once I have seeds in hand, I’ll hit everybody up about funds, and get ‘em shipped out to our growers.

26 Likes

I’m in. For sure! What about @YoBigdaddy indoors? I would commit to one of the two of them for next summer. Start them flowering early, and move them Outdoors( in and out)to finish during the heat of the summer. For pollination I have a room I could isolate them in to make damn sure no other pollen hits them. I think that Dalat is a monster plant. It would be harder for me to do that one, but if no one else can do it I would.

8 Likes

I’m in either way i got a room. And would be happy to grow these out. @Guitarzan tell me when and where to send $

7 Likes

@Guitarzan I would be into this idea as well. I wouldn’t be able to grow them due to an upcoming move. When you talk of righteous projects, this would be one.

7 Likes

If anyone could do the second one indoors soon that would be preferred over my outdoor idea, as would a grow further south. Dalat is a beast. Up to 20 feet I’ve read. If only one could be gotten, which one?

8 Likes

I’d be interested, how long do you think before it’s sold out? Couple days max, probably, huh?

I’ve got a pack of Doc Ds Vietnam Black S1 in front of me right now, could reintroduce the male chromosome.

The Da Lat is probably far more rare. If given the chance to only buy one, that might be the one.

How do you put in an order with him, through email?

10 Likes

Like dat Moth to dat Flame, I’m in!!! I’ve resigned that I have fallen off the wagon for good. I tried, I really did. Do stay safe and, be well.

11 Likes

Id throw in. I’ve been contemplating the landrace teams viet for about a month now. this would be killer.

5 Likes

Looks like we’re up to 7.

5 Likes

oohwee too rich for my blood. Good luck with the project fellas. I’d love to trade for some when the preservation is complete.

Next outdoor season I will be trying again with my Bodhi China Yunnan Dali Canghsan Mountain landrace sativa. Hopefully we can revive some of these asian heirlooms here on overgrow, and preserve them by getting them out to the community.

ps- if anyone has a good OG or other known kush cut, I’d love to throw one outdoors next year with my china cangshan dali project. Anyone interested in making some Wing Chun Kush?

8 Likes

I have the funds to make the purchase, I’m just waiting to hear back if he still has any. Once we get an order placed we’ll sort out the what’s what. I’ll let you know when I hear from him.
:guitar:

6 Likes

Thats funny i just told my wife yesterday this will be the last one for a little while next day boom

4 Likes

It’s on. :grinning:

I talked to John, and he has both strains available, so I told him I wanted them. He sent me a PayPal invoice, and he just confirmed that he received the payment. With any luck, they’ll be here by the end of the week. Once I have them in hand we’ll talk money.

Now. Who’s gonna grow 'em out? :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

15 Likes

I can’t do monster sativas but if no one steps up I’ll throw in just to save the strain

7 Likes

I’ll throw in some funds. Da Lat for sure if we only come up with enough for 1.

10 Likes

+

11 Likes

We got ‘em both man. :grinning: I’m stoked and I can’t even grow ‘em out. :grinning:

10 Likes

Make sure you get those germination techniques. He said it took using an eye dropper to coax them along. No clue about that but I have my ideas. I can’t play but will sure enjoy reading along. I learn new stuff in here every day.

How is John? He mentioned his health. Seems like I heard that before. Prayers and vibes sent to him. I get anxiety just reading his list of strains. I haven’t run anything though. I have a friend that had a few I believe.

Good luck on the project everyone!

8 Likes

I can run the Vietnam Black alongside the S1s from Doc D. I’ve got 5 femmes left.

I’d throw a vote for @lefthandseeds for the Da Lat.

18 Likes

If you need somebody else to pitch in throw me on the list I’d love some pure dalat I’ve been looking for that one for awile.

7 Likes