Soil amendments

Every and any organic fill material coming into my indoor garden gets boiled, compost included.
Rarely use coco coir but that gets thoroughly rinsed before boiling sand/salt being the baddies there.
I can reeestablish my microherd with burpee’s organic water soluble fert.
Boiling cures many ills.

1 Like

I’ve personally never used that much rabbit. I probably only hit 5% likely. My grow bro sad he smelled some ammonia after the last run, which I found totally weird (shower much?). :rofl:

Besides that I would say you look pretty good, but there are better judges of that around than I.

Edit:

There could possibly be other benefits also. The information about companion plants though numerous, still needs to find more about the specificities of the relationships between the plants to better utilize the all the benefits that could be realized. For example, if the roots work together in a a specific way, should one plant be surrounded by the other or is there a specific balancing point when passed would reduce said benefits? We have a lot to learn, but I would like to fund a starting point with cannabis for my outdoor crop.

3 Likes

thanks as far as the rabbit idk why he would be smelling monia aftera run before i could see from urine in the bedding maybe before all or any of the uric acid breaks down I usē it because it is my most readily sourcēof compost and thoroughly compost it before it goes in the mix but they say it’s a cold compost meaning it never really heats up when it breaks down now you have me wondering though i know the pine bedding can be very acidic more reading to do thank you

1 Like

Unfortunately, I believe much of what we’re now learning about companion planting with cannabis has already been forgotten due to the prohibition of the plant.

For example, a former coworker’s wife used to teach a class on gardening & went into some detail on companion planting. Some of her information was old enough to have included cannabis on charts and in materials gleaned from older scientific/horticultural publications–but at the time she was required to censor all that info from her materials so she couldn’t be implicated in teaching people to grow pot. The only thing her attorney allowed her to say referencing cannabis was that cannabis and hops are part of the same family and that beneficial plants for hops may also be beneficial to the plant that shall remain nameless. :wink: :wink:

4 Likes

I guess that means it’s up to us to generate some bro science until science can catch up.

You’re welcome. We mulched with some of those last summer, and found out the possible issues they can cause.

1 Like

Most info on the web concerns using other plants as screens or to mask odor.
Jerusalem Artichokes are a good example.
They supposedly have the same IR profile as Mary and grow tall. But visually the color is completely different so it really doesn’t work as a visual screen and does nothing to mask the odor.
Tomatoes are closer in color and the aroma is somewhat masking but they are heavy feeders and compete for food.

Some folks say they use white Dutch clover as a ground cover/beneficial but I’ve noticed their root systems in my potted plants tend to choke out the upper layer of soil.
Even though they return N to the soil they must use a fair amount for such luxuriant growth.

I’ve chosen French and African marigolds for their insect repellant properties as well as fact they aren’t antagonistic to other plants.

2 Likes

The thing about bro science is that it’s not always wrong. It’s kind of become a derogatory term nowadays. I strive to stay curious, maybe it’s total bs, maybe there’s truth in it. Is there a way I can experiment to find out my own conclusion?

I got a basil experiment brewing in mind. Take 6 clones from same mother, plant 3 w no basil and 3 with basil underneath. Compare the smoke. Maybe for the fall…

1 Like

It could be used that way by some people, but for now it may be all we have. I’ll be waiting to see if you can come up with some good results. Marigolds are a good one for any garden for sure.

1 Like

Question on amended soil. I started with promix garden soil in red 2cu ft blocks. I added amendments at half reccomended amounts. I mixed well and slightly moistened the mix and have it in trash bags.

Opened a bag yesterday and its pretty dry but smells horrible like a fermenting swamp.

Is that normal? I did add some malted barley could that be the yeast like fermenting swamp smell ? Im just wondering if i made something not ok to use.

This is what i added
Malted barley
Epsom salt
Food grade gypsum
Black sand
Down to earth vegetable garden fertilizer(has all the hot meals in it and guanos)
Worm castings
Kelp meal
Azomite
Mykos (extreme gardening)
and lot of perlite

Keeping moistened soil in bags is a bad practice as anaerobic organisms breed like crazy there.
Put that soil on a tarp and open to the air for a few days.

2 Likes

This is the only scruff I’ve been using in my bloom mix. I mix 1/4 cup per gallon of mix (I just use promix and perlite) and then plant right away, no need to cook. Other than top dressing every 4 weeks it’s been water only for me. It has everything mix in already.

1 Like

I do, check out the book “why tomatoes love carrots”.

I was talking about it last march

And my set it and forget it thread

I have borage, Goldie yarrow, red and white clover and cover crop all planted in it.

Borage makes a noticable difference in tomatoes, it seriously ups the flavor 30%, that’s what made me believe in it.

2 Likes

Ok yeah i opened it up n got lot of air moving around it and being exhausted outside.

2 Likes

Isn’t it also an attractant to pollinators?

2 Likes

Yep, and the flowers are edible and taste like cucumber, the leaves too

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember liking them when I was young!

They were much better than nasturtiums!

2 Likes

That’s the history of farming on this continent. Cool stuff, huh?

2 Likes

@GMan @SmackyMcSmackers

It was well beyond that. They had cultivated the north American forests to have fruits, nuts, edible and medicinal plants covering a continent. It looked wild but there was food everywhere, it was a balance. The colonists that came couldn’t see the forest for the trees though.

A paper from 1984, seriously read this one. It goes really in depth into the systems they set in place.

http://www.daviesand.com/Papers/Tree_Crops/Indian_Agroforestry/index.html

A great article about it

"Up to about century ago (the early 1900s), the vast forests stretching from Maine to Florida and west to the Mississippi River, were home to billions of chestnut trees. They comprised about a quarter of all trees in the forest. Obviously, these trees produced huge quantities of food each year, the chestnuts used for human consumption as well as feed for wildlife (hunted for human consumption) and domesticated animals. Then, an imported chestnut tree from Asia introduced the America chestnut to a parasitic fungus, and they were all but erased from the forests they once dominated.

Studies have shown that Native Americans in the Northeast US gently swayed often visited or occupied sections of forest to have certain trees and plants with edible (and useful) output, such as the American pawpaw, persimmons, honey locusts, elderberries, oaks, and chestnuts. In essence, they were growing food forests to make foraging something much more akin to harvesting. Of course, many of these same species were attractive to birds and mammals that would were part of the Native American diet as well."

These are the things that our horrible white washing American education system teaches you, that they just planted the 3 sisters, instead of creating a continent that allowed them to live with abundant food sources that were inter connected and manipulated by them.

5 Likes

The Appalachian Mountians contain numerous beneficial native medicinal herbs. These native applachian herbs all have links to scientific studies proving their medicinal benefits, ranging from cancer to menstrual pain. Here’s a couple examples; Paw paw twig extract stops tumor growth, American ginseng taken 40 minutes before a meal can prevent blood sugar spikes

Paw Paw extract can inhibit tumor growth The growth-inhibitory effects of pawpaw (Asimina triloba [L.] Dunal) roots, twigs, leaves, and fruit against human gastric (AGS) and cervical (HeLa) cancer cells and their anti-inflammatory activities - PubMed
Mayapple contains chemicals used in various cancer treatments for Lung and testicular cancers, as well as certain leukemia. The American Mayapple and its Potential for Podophyllotoxin Production
Woods nettle and stinging nettle have incredible health benefits. 7 health benefits of nettle tea and how to make it | HealthShots
Ive started harvesting mine to make a medicinal tea. It’s sad we have such a problem with heart disease. When we have so many native medicinal herbs that lower blood pressure. A lot of these herbs are companion plants along with companion trees. Is companion trees a term, lol? A person would be reading for ever online. If they tried to read all the trials and studies that are available. I started researching medicinal herbs 2010 for my crohn’s disease. I didnt know it then. But a lot of the medicinal herbs that I was buying at the health food stores are native to the Appalachian Mountians. It wasn’t until I got into growing wild simulated American Ginseng. I started learning about the term, companion plants. It definitely deserves research. Black walnut releases a toxin that kills other plants. But these medicinal herbs are companion plants thus can grow along with Black Walnut. Same thing with ferns. Ive found wild ginseng plants growing in with ferns.

4 Likes