Soil amendments

I use basalt rock dust, glacial rock dust, oyster shell flour, and gypsum.

The biolive is a mix of notes (meals) plus beneficial micros.

2 Likes

I Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ve never heard of bio live but it looks promising just ordered some canā€™t wait to try it I appreciate the help thank you

2 Likes

Thank me when it works out for you. :rofl:

I just started using it recently, but any soil Iā€™ve mixed with it is very popular with the ladies. The oneā€™s that are in it, seem to love it, the rest are kinda jealous. :wink:

Anytime I can help, Iā€™m more than happy to.

I do use malted barley. The enzymes help break down the meals, and some say that it helps harvest come quicker. Get the cheapest kind you can from a crew store and have them mill it the smallest they will for you. It works great in a worm bin also.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing some reading on the barley and gypsum and not familiar with the oyster flour Iā€™m fairly new to all of this but Iā€™m a big girl and determined to start the right way this time around turn my bust into something positive lol thanks for the info I appreciate it

2 Likes

The oyster flour is calcium I believe. Any questions, Iā€™ll do my best to help. Hit me up. Iā€™m glad to try to help.

4 Likes

I wanna see your bust big girl.

JK. Oyster shell flour will raise the pH slowly and add Ca. Gypsum just adds Ca and doesnā€™t raise pH. Bio-Live is decent. Where do you live that you had to order it? Itā€™s a pretty common product.

I get a lot of my stuff at BAS, but Iā€™m in the US.

4 Likes

you can see my bust in the police reports for NY mid march or so lol I swear I think I wa the last grower shut down before we wnt legal I actually tried to look it up after the fact but they sealed all of it I gave up Iā€™m in rural central NYand unfortunately not much around here I have to order most things thanks folks Iā€™ll hit you up if I get lost I have some reading to do

4 Likes

anybody out there lol so a quick question on malted barely so ground crushed or!!!is 2 row malted barely for brewing what Iā€™m looking forI have been reading some on why to use it what itdoes how to use it etc. but not so much on what to use or where to get it

6 Likes

I looked at a local brew shopā€™s webpage only to be staggered with the number of malt choices available and left with more questions than answers.

Do the products youā€™re looking at advertise themselves as organic? Do you know if organic malted barley is imperative for a healthy soil?

4 Likes

6 row is actually better since it has more protein and enzymes, but 2 will work too. It feeds the fungi mostly.

You can add it whole, but grinding it up right before you use it will be quickest and most effective way to use it. Just use a coffee grinder.

Build a Soil has some.

But if you go through this link instead, youā€™ll get $5 off.

5 Likes

ok sounds great thank you very much

1 Like

Hey @cannabliss. I bought a bushel of 6 row barley from a local elevator last year, and have quite a bit left. If you pay for shipping Iā€™ll send you 10 pounds. Last time I shipped 10 pounds via ups ground it was about 25 bucks.

3 Likes

Is it fresh or malted?

Itā€™s fresh of course. Ready to be germedā€¦

1 Like

Clackamas Coot did a lot of early research into sprouted grains and he differs with you on this point,

One of the problems in trying to get information about malt is that I talked to over 20 brew masters and even a coupleā€¦.the head people, founders of artisan malting houses, do you know that not one had any idea that there was something called chitinase in malt, barley and malted grains, or phosphatase or urease or protease, I mean I was blown away, but they could talk about amylase.

They got that one down because asked the one that is central to the process of brewing beer. Can I address one other thing? Thereā€™s two types of barley; thereā€™s like - okay thereā€™s two row and six row. Six row is pretty much only grown in America and it has higher levels of amylase, that does not translate into that it has higher levels of these other enzymes, the ones I care about, the chitinase, phosphatase for example. And because itā€™s a much smaller crop, harvested crop, youā€™re going to pay through the nose for six row. It isnā€™t necessary, just get the (2 row)- and again you donā€™t have use barley, use whatever they have at home brew store and buy price. Now there is one little caveat, rye has slightly higher levels of phosphorus so that should become really popular here with a certain sector of gardeners that obsess about phosphorus. So if phosphorous is your big thing then go for the rye.

Iā€™m new to sprouted grains as well but it seems Coot wouldnā€™t rye about this, nyuk.

9 Likes

Nice, thanks for that. Thatā€™s probably why Build a Soil has the 2 row and not the 6. I have both still from when I was making homebrewed Pale Ale. But thereā€™s some in the Craft Blend from BAS that I use. I just always heard that 6 row had more enzymes, but Iā€™m obviously wrong.

Good info.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think youā€™re wrong at all, Coot says to buy price and cheaper is gooder in my world.
Here he describes what these enzymes are and what they do.

3 Likes

Wanna ship me a sandwich bag of biolive? Canā€™t get it in Canada for under $100ā€¦ kinda nuts :flushed:

3 Likes

Nice. More good info.

1 Like

Thatā€™s crazy. It isnā€™t anything special. Just a few dry amendments and some microbes.

Down To Earth Bio-Live 5-4-2 is an OMRI listed certified organic fertilizer made from fish bone meal, fish meal, shrimp meal, crab meal, alfalfa meal, langbeinite and kelp meal. Bio-Live possesses a unique mixture of beneficial fungi and bacteria that help build a living system in your soil. Introducing these beneficial microorganisms aids your plants by providing additional disease resistance while also increasing nutrient and water absorption. In addition, the humic acid present in Bio-Live provides these mircroorganisms with a food source while they establish themselves. This combination of nutrient and microbial content makes Bio-Live a fantastic fertilizer for vegetable gardens, flower beds, container plantings, trees, shrubs, and vines.

You should have lots of Gaia Green around or whatever itā€™s called.

4 Likes