Soil amendments

As far as amendment for organic soil, in my Worm bin, basically if it’s biodegradable or organic I’ll toss it in. Example, Shredded cardboard, sawdust, kitchen scraps, plants and or leaves. Tea bags, coffee grinds ect. I also feed the worms specifically a high vegetable & fruit smoothes. Since I’ve been doing this I find all kind of new beneficial microbes life in the soil…

I use this soil for all my plants 🪴 and have had good results so far.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info :+1: I do have Gaia Green at home ,) so it’s basically the same deal as Biolive? Mostly. I also add extra nutrients, like the 7 Seas mixture of seaweeds & Kelp, Neam leaves Crushed up, I even add in coconut grinded up into powder, coconut sugar sometimes, molasses once a month. Anything I can find easy at home that will benefit in some way

2 Likes

I too have recently been adding glacial rock dust, along with growers granite (chicken grit) and andesite (paramagnetic sand) for their paramagnetic properties.

I’m also looking into electroculture and passive bio accumulators such as the Irish Round Towers.
Phil Callahan studied them during his stint in WW2

1 Like

Ya, the Biolive isn’t anything special. You have a worm bin, so you should have plenty of microbes from that.

3 Likes

imo worm castings are the single best additive you could add to soil.
$100 for a bag of ferts?

You’re already doing wonderful things for your soil.

3 Likes

Love the worm bin ,) :heart: is like magic

2 Likes

I’ve had some resistance to the other persons in my home for suggesting a worm bin in my grow room.
I’ve heard it said that worm bins placed near your plants will remove the skunk odor in the room.
Anything you could add to that would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

If you think about it, whatever is in the trim, stems and roots of harvested plants is exactly what your new plants are looking for.
Does not apply to diseased or bug infested trim.

4 Likes

My Worm bin is living in my indoor vegetable garden, previously was In the Cannabis tent. I didn’t find any negative effects for either so far.

Anytime I wanna toss something into the worm bin, I Google its nutrients values, if it has any ill use it. Besides the regular stuff for Worm bins like Shredded paper/cardboard ect.

Earth worm Castings is seriously 1 of the best fertilizer on earth :earth_americas:

4 Likes

Yup. Anything I cut off the Cannabis, including stems, roots ect all goes into the No Till soil bed and or the worm bin for the same reasons.

2 Likes

Do you notice if it cuts down the skunk odor?
If it were it would be a godsend in that I could grow some of the skunky cultivars.

1 Like

No idea if it cuts out all stink or not, However something that could help with the smell is Charcoal. Either get coconut Charcoal or a bag of Organic Charcoal and place the bag near your plants NOT in the soil. Charcoal will help absorb the smells.

I placed Charcoal ontop of my No Till Gardens ground cover to assist with smell to help keep nasty pests away…

Ps. This is my soil cover, it’s a mix of Apple Wood chips, Dry Neem leaves, Cannabis leaves, Coconut Charcoal & Orchard Mix.

5 Likes

Thanks.
When I first heard that about worm bins cutting the smell I thought to myself “could it hide G-13 smell?”. Guess not would be the safe bet.
That is one reeky plant!

1 Like

@spaceman That’s exactly what I was thinking

Good point about not keeping any diseased material in the nutrient loop. Straight to the trash bin for anything w pm, bud rot, or bug infested

1 Like

Nice ground cover! Do you know if there’s any benefits or issues w using cedar for wood mulch?

Since it is loaded w tannins / essential oils that help slow it from rotting, would that make it less desirable as a mulch / cover?

2 Likes

You can use Cedar sure, I’m sure it will work just fine. I think technically your supposed to use soft woods so it’s breaks down and helps build a humus layer quicker, I just used what I had available to me.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing it for years. I keep one tub cooking with the trim and stems from last grow while doing my current. After 2 months you might find some stem pieces. It really is a great food for your soil though. And this …

3 Likes

Great question, outdoors and piled around freshly planted trees I’ve found paradoxically, that it encourages termites!
Unless the truckload I bought had them in there already or the chips were adulterated with some other wood are open questions.

If it were me, and I am sure gonna try it now, I’d buy some hamster bedding from a pet supply.
Cedar may be just the ticket for fungus gnat block.
Thanks for the idea guys!

2 Likes

Sure. Hit me with an addy bro

3 Likes

It’s ok bro. No worries :+1: I’m just playing.
Turns out it’s very similar to Gaga Green products which I’ve already got on hand. Thanks though. :blush:

1 Like