Something is eating my baby plants at night

Mouse dont die it will multiply.

4 Likes

gotta watch out for earwigs! i caught one knocking down a seedling like it was a tree.

5 Likes

Go to the hardware store and buy some chicken wire(pick the smallest cell size that they sell) and some tin snips(wire cutters). Cut the chicken wire into 5 inch x 5 inch squares. Bend that 5 inch square into domes that you will use to cover the plants. Bury the first 2 inches of the dome into the dirt around the seed sprout. That will keep the creatures out.

2 Likes

We are having a big problem with earwigs this year but I would guess they could slither under the bags as they are ziplocs just around the cup/pot not sealed. For sure what it sounds like though or a mouse.I would think an earwig would go up the bag and get up the cups and mice would eat the 2nd stage seedling growth above 1 inch leaf spread. My 3 Silver Mountains are a few weeks old and they were just knocked over not eaten.Very weird for sure and thanks for the advice guys on the mouse traps as well.

2 Likes

I will do this thank you.

I am gonna go with mice or another rodent like a vole. Voles and such are much smaller and will not set off a normal mouse trap.
If it is slugs or something you should clearly see their slime . Also if it is slugs or something along those lines doing this to your indoor grow you are going to have much bigger problems down the line as i can only imagine what else might be lurking in there .

3 Likes

Thank you for the input . Absolutely Disgusting to lose discontinued strains like Dominion ShineApple to a rodent. Preciate the advice and will do this.
87887bf2208235e89ac7cad1f10dfc21cd3bbe979f3103c6ac8d93893dcad17b

1 Like

70b563a780f91ca016914361c2d8f66c3e80657c2845e94927119de5502d2800
I hate slugs and bugs! The ones with 2 legs are the worst! Ha ha Im pissed this morning.

2 Likes

I had a cricket eat 2 of 8 shiskaberry seedlings this year. Caught him in the act. He’s no longer with us! First time in over 20 years that I’ve had one cut them down like he did

1 Like

man the earwig that got my seedling earlier this year… I watched him yell “TIMBER” as my seedling toppled over.

I hunted that bastard down and drowned him.

2 Likes

Looks like a mouse. Where there is one there are usually more. Getting colder outside, they’ll find a way in and once they do, they need food. I’ve never seen an indoor bug do that kind of damage. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

That doesn’t sound good

I remember you saying that and I seen some around my tent the other day. Neem oil around on the floor also use it as a spray everywhere in your grow area. It will stop those boogers coming up through the cracks. Those things bite. Lol

2 Likes

Ok. You need several layers of security. Chicken wire that intertwines green metal garden stakes buried at least 1 ft below the surface. Diatomecious earth for the insects and slugs sprinkled near the base of the plant. Diatomecious earth are tiny little shards that will rip them open. If you have ant problems, sprinkle a circle of Saigon Cinnamon on the ground. It acts as a biological weapon barrier that keeps them out.

4 Likes

19570484c2ef080d7a625e9da1799e6a8e26443ced99df0bc02fb18af1c5ad5f @RoryBorealis Nice post I’l ride with you anytime

2 Likes

After visiting the hardware store and seeing all the wifi and Bluetooth enabled traps that provide kill-alert emails or let you personally snuff the mouse using the smartphone app, I went with a live trap.

Mice always fall for chocolate chip muffins, but you could always try baiting them with a couple of seedlings.

I nearly bought a habitrail for the last two mice I caught.

5 Likes

I needed that. Great method

2 Likes

I just killed two mice in my house. Peanut butter and a snap trap works for me.

10 Likes

That’s what you call a Midwest rodeo

3 Likes

10 Likes