Source Turbo First Run

We admittedly weren’t really scientific about our record keeping for this initial run but we put about a pint jar of our GG4 sugar leaf and bottom buds in some everclear this evening to soak, strained it through a buchner funnel and it’s running now.

I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

This is the leftovers above the filter what we got out of the process looked a lot like what I think real absinthe should look like. Very very light green. I find it fascinating how many of the trichome heads have been stripped away in the alcohol bath.

Ya’ll be good to one another.

fr0g_D

10 Likes

Here it is!

2ml of RSO, took about 4 hours.

11 Likes

What was the weight of the trim you used, do you know?

2 mil should be around 2 grams.

Does that unit collect the alcohol so you can re use it?

2 Likes

Yeah it recovers most of the alcohol, that’s one of the draws of the Source Turbo.

Much easier than my jars in a crockpot in the garage method. :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah the thing pays for itself if you make a lot of tinctures.

2 Likes

I make mine in a still which recovers about 70% of my alcohol, also allows me to make the alcohol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what I lose is what I cant squeeze out of the weed.

3 Likes

Yeah man, like I said it was about a pint Jar full of trim. The truth of the matter is we had friends over for the first run of the machine and I tried to be real precise and, well I was already pretty high when we started. So here is how it went, I put them empty jar on the scale weighed it, it was 271g I zeroed it put the weed in and never weighed it. So I had 271g written down in my notepad after the stuff was soaking in the alcohol. I’m a dummy, but I will get better info next run. Sorry about that guys.

The good news in 2 solid grams of meds were made in about 4 hours, we got 95+% of our alcohol back and the frog in my pocket is about to test it out for her pain.

3 Likes

Very interesting, I’m making a similar concentrate right now without a machine. I’m using 1.2 ounces of cured flower. my method is to freeze the bud and everclear for 24 hours, combine in a mason jar, agitate throughly for 10-15 minutes, and then filter into a pyrex baking dish. I evaporate the alcohol with no heat by placing the pyrex in a vented cabinet with cpu fan extractors and an electronic dehumidifier. The alcohol will be fully purged in 1 to 3 days depending on batch size. I’m not able to recover it for further use. I’m making a concentrate for vaporizing, not rso. I’ll post a picture of that batch for comparison.

I also got a ton of partial resin stalks in my filter with this batch. aside from the melted resin gland heads, I’m surprised by how similar it looks to dry sift keif.

3 Likes

Ok so I had a thought, I just went and filled up a jar approximately the same way I did last night for our RSO run and it was right at 17 grams.

1 Like

Pro tip, get it out with your still. That’s what I’ll do, but with my Source Turbo. I put a paper coffee filter in the crucible, fill with damp weed, and run the machine. In the end the weed is dry and I recover the remaining alcohol. The coffee filter makes clean up easier.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, but my still has an auto shut off when it detects it’s dry, so that wouldn’t work for me, unfortunately.

I experimented after my last oil making session, and have made a press now that will get me to about a 90% return now.

It only costs 20$ to make 4 liters of 180 proof alch so its not much of a loss.

2 Likes

You could try adding water, should be able to distill out the alcohol. But it sounds like you are making your own, so no reason to be frugal. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

with my method 1.2 ounces of cured flower (good quality outdoor, but unimpressive genetics) yielded 2.4 grams of light amber translucent honey oil.
vaporizes/ dabs perfectly clean at 372 degrees Fahrenheit with my titanium enail.

and heres a photo of the whole batch in a jar, looking somewhat less translucent because I whipped and aerated it with my dab tool while I was high.

3 Likes